tall windshield for a tall rider???

DSN_KLR650
mokan710

nklr- entry into mexico, place to stay in creel

Post by mokan710 » Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:25 pm

Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and the KLR. I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. I have clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, but the truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I need to get the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the lienholder is in order... Anything else? Will I need to have a translation done into spanish? What about insurance? Can/should I get that in advance? Or can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be entering and exiting at Presidio, TX)? And are the Mexicans still trying to do that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit for all vehicles entering the country? Finally, any recommendations or phone numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to spend around $50 a day, no more. Could do it a lot cheaper but the ol' lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water pressure. I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it or not! Thanks in advance... "Mokan" P.S. I know there's a million websites out there, but I want the gouge from some listers who have BEEN THERE. Cuts out all the bull**** ya know...

Lloyd Rauschkolb

Post by Lloyd Rauschkolb » Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:55 pm

Long Time Mexico rider Richard "Dick" Tinsley of Ocean Springs, Mississippi has been going down to Mexico for many years and just completed writing a CD book about Traveling to Mexico by motorcycle and by auto. It's called "How To Tour Mexico By Motorcycle or Automobile". He has been working on this book for years and I have read it twice. He is currently working on a web site to offer it for sale to the public, but hasn't completed the web site as of yet. I have read the book twice now, mostly because I am making my second trip to Copper Canyon at the end of this month. It covers all the bases and will give you some really great pointers. I recently wrote a review of it on the "Bulletin Board" page of the BMW Riders of Mississippi web site. I also profiled Dick on the "Members List" page of the web site. If you are interested in getting a copy of it, you may contact him direct. All the information you need is on the web site. Yes, Dick is my friend, and no, I do not get a kickback. It's just one of many available resources, and this one is from a long time motorcycle rider(60 years or so), who really knows the ins and outs of travel to Mexico. Another great resource is the Frommers Guide, available at most major bookstores. Go to: http://www.bmwridersofmississippi.com The review is on the "Bulletin Board" page and the profile of Dick is on the "Members List" page Lloyd Rauschkolb A15 Gulfport, Ms. --- mokan710 wrote:
> Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and > the KLR. > I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. I > have > clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, > but the > truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I need > to get > the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the lienholder > is in > order... Anything else? Will I need to have a translation > done into > spanish? What about insurance? Can/should I get that in > advance? Or > can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be > entering and > exiting at Presidio, TX)? And are the Mexicans still trying > to do > that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit > for all > vehicles entering the country? Finally, any recommendations > or phone > numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to > spend > around $50 a day, no more. Could do it a lot cheaper but the > ol' > lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water > pressure. > I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it > or not! > Thanks in advance... > > "Mokan" > > P.S. I know there's a million websites out there, but I want > the > gouge from some listers who have BEEN THERE. Cuts out all the > > bull**** ya know... > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

imperial-4776@webtv.net

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:09 pm

Mokan Just before going into Baja, I read somewhere that I needed the title to my bike. I don't have the title to my bikes, as I haven't paid it off yet. Anyway, I was throw into panic stations for a while, but later found out you don't need the title to ride in Baja just the registration. Anywhooooo to get to your question. To drive / ride on the mainland of Mexico, you need the registration card and the title or a copy of the title. I rang the bank that has my title and they sent me a copy with in three days, will no problems what so ever. These are the laws for taking a vechicle into Mexico as far as I know them. So next year when I go to Copper Canyon, I'm all ready to go. Hope you and your ife have a great trip. Dave Salem OR http://community.webtv.net/Imperial-4776/MyMexicanAdventure

William Valerio

Post by William Valerio » Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:41 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "mokan710" wrote:
> Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and the KLR. > I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. I have > clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, but the > truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I need to get > the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the lienholder is in > order... Anything else?
The title..
>Will I need to have a translation done into > spanish?
No. What about insurance? Can/should I get that in advance? Or
> can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be entering and > exiting at Presidio, TX)?
There is no Sanborns in Presidio but there are others there. They do not operate 24 hrs. If you're coming in on a weekend or at night get the insurance before you hit Presidio. Most companies do not sell motorcycle insurance for Mexico. I can just about guarantee no one in Presidio sells motorcycle insurance for Mexico. Most do without...my lienholder make me buy insurance before they would send me a letter of permission to enter Mexico. I got the insurance off the net....but lost the addy.
>And are the Mexicans still trying to do > that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit for all > vehicles entering the country?
No, but you do need a major credit card.
>Finally, any recommendations or phone > numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to spend > around $50 a day, no more.
For around $50 a day you can stay at some very nice KOA cabins in Creel. Your wife will love them... hot water and plenty of heat. The campground bar makes decent margaritas and the food is okay. My wife, child, and I, felt very secure there. They have a web site and reservations can be made.
> Could do it a lot cheaper but the ol' > lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water pressure. > I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it or not! > Thanks in advance... > > "Mokan" > > P.S. I know there's a million websites out there, but I want the > gouge from some listers who have BEEN THERE. Cuts out all the > bull**** ya know...
About 40 miles into Mexico, at the top of a mountain, you'll find a funky looking statute on the left side, or the south side, of the roadway. Stop there and walk down the south side of the parking lot. You'll find fantastic views of the Rio Concho a few thousand feet below. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

William Valerio

Post by William Valerio » Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:02 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention a few things. You get your vehicle permit and tourist permit in the building on the right immediately after crossing into Mexico from Presidio. (It's the same building that houses the Mexican Customs guys who may or may not search your vehicle.) The vehicle permits are obtained at a window at the southeast corner of the building and the tourist permits are obtained through a door in the approximate center of the east exterior wall. You'll need to pay for the permit at a bank in Chihuahua. The list of exceptable banks is on the back of your tourist permit. You'll need to do this as you pass through Chihuahua the first time. There's a military road block on the road between Chihuahua and Presidio. If you permit isn't stamped by the bank you'll be turned back to Chihuahua on the return trip. Also, there's a cave about half way to Chihuahua off to the left or east side of the road. You'll see the signs. For a small fee you can get a guided tour of the cave but the tour guide speaks only Spanish. Don't park at the cave entrance on the side of the mountain like I did.... The road to the entrance is a one lane dirt road that switchbacks. The turns were too tight for my van. I had to do some risky creative driving. The parking lot at the base of the mountain is much less risky. With the KLR I wouldn't hesitate to park right at the cave entrance. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Lloyd Rauschkolb

Post by Lloyd Rauschkolb » Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:08 am

I forgot to post the price of the CD. It's $9.95 including shipping and handling. Lloyd Rauschkolb A15 Gulfport, Ms. --- Lloyd Rauschkolb wrote:
> Long Time Mexico rider Richard "Dick" Tinsley of Ocean > Springs, > Mississippi has been going down to Mexico for many years and > just completed writing a CD book about Traveling to Mexico by > motorcycle and by auto. It's called "How To Tour Mexico By > Motorcycle or Automobile". > > He has been working on this book for years and I have read it > twice. He is currently working on a web site to offer it for > sale to the public, but hasn't completed the web site as of > yet. > > I have read the book twice now, mostly because I am making my > second trip to Copper Canyon at the end of this month. It > covers > all the bases and will give you some really great pointers. I > recently wrote a review of it on the "Bulletin Board" page of > the BMW Riders of Mississippi web site. I also profiled Dick > on > the "Members List" page of the web site. If you are > interested > in getting a copy of it, you may contact him direct. All the > information you need is on the web site. Yes, Dick is my > friend, and no, I do not get a kickback. It's just one of > many > available resources, and this one is from a long time > motorcycle > rider(60 years or so), who really knows the ins and outs of > travel to Mexico. Another great resource is the Frommers > Guide, > available at most major bookstores. > > Go to: http://www.bmwridersofmississippi.com > > The review is on the "Bulletin Board" page and the profile of > Dick is on the "Members List" page > > Lloyd Rauschkolb > A15 > Gulfport, Ms. > > --- mokan710 wrote: > > Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and > > the KLR. > > I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. > I > > have > > clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, > > but the > > truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I > need > > to get > > the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the > lienholder > > is in > > order... Anything else? Will I need to have a translation > > done into > > spanish? What about insurance? Can/should I get that in > > advance? Or > > can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be > > entering and > > exiting at Presidio, TX)? And are the Mexicans still trying > > to do > > that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit > > for all > > vehicles entering the country? Finally, any recommendations > > or phone > > numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to > > spend > > around $50 a day, no more. Could do it a lot cheaper but > the > > ol' > > lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water > > pressure. > > I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it > > or not! > > Thanks in advance... > > > > "Mokan" > > > > P.S. I know there's a million websites out there, but I > want > > the > > gouge from some listers who have BEEN THERE. Cuts out all > the > > > > bull**** ya know... > > > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Be part of the Adventure! > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/ > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail! http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

redufo1

Post by redufo1 » Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:24 am

> Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and the
KLR.
> I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. I have > clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, but the > truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I need to
get
> the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the lienholder is
in
> order... Anything else? Will I need to have a translation done
into
> spanish? What about insurance? Can/should I get that in advance?
Or
> can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be entering
and
> exiting at Presidio, TX)? And are the Mexicans still trying to do > that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit for
all
> vehicles entering the country? Finally, any recommendations or
phone
> numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to spend > around $50 a day, no more. Could do it a lot cheaper but the ol' > lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water
pressure.
> I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it or
not!
> Thanks in advance... > > "Mokan" IMPORTANT---you will have trouble in pressido trying to
get 2 perrmissions,1 for your truck,1 for your bike,you know,the sticker that goes on window,they only allow 1 perrmission per person,credit card only,and each persdon gettining a permission sticker,the card has to have there name on it,solution,have your wife get permission sticker for bike with c-card in her name,as for creel,i stayed several nights at the parador hotel,nice place,in shopping district downtown,40.00 night.Dave
> >

redufo1

Post by redufo1 » Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:25 am

> Am looking to hit Copper Canyon next month with the wife and the
KLR.
> I plan on hauling both the wife and the bike in my truck. I have > clear title to the bike, so I know that won't be a problem, but the > truck still has a lien on it. What documentation will I need to
get
> the truck into Mexico? I imagine a letter from the lienholder is
in
> order... Anything else? Will I need to have a translation done
into
> spanish? What about insurance? Can/should I get that in advance?
Or
> can I just do the Sanborn's thing at the border (I'll be entering
and
> exiting at Presidio, TX)? And are the Mexicans still trying to do > that crazy thing where they wanted a 4 or 500-dollar deposit for
all
> vehicles entering the country? Finally, any recommendations or
phone
> numbers on decent places to stay in Creel? I'm looking to spend > around $50 a day, no more. Could do it a lot cheaper but the ol' > lady's going with me, and she needs hot water and good water
pressure.
> I- on the other hand- shower once a tour, whether I need it or
not!
> Thanks in advance... > > "Mokan" IMPORTANT---you will have trouble in pressido trying to
get 2 perrmissions,1 for your truck,1 for your bike,you know,the sticker that goes on window,they only allow 1 perrmission per person,credit card only,and each persdon gettining a permission sticker,the card has to have there name on it,solution,have your wife get permission sticker for bike with c-card in her name,as for creel,i stayed several nights at the parador hotel,nice place,in shopping district downtown,40.00 night.Dave
> >

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:43 am

In a message dated 1/29/02 7:25:24 AM EST, redufo1@... writes: << > "Mokan" IMPORTANT---you will have trouble in pressido trying to get 2 perrmissions,1 for your truck,1 for your bike >> 0000000000 Yea! I remember now , Only one vehicle per person!! Mecicans think you are going to sell one of them or something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mike

leroy_cope

tall windshield for a tall rider???

Post by leroy_cope » Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:32 pm

I am also 6'3 tall. I am very happy with a Clearview +11 heavy-duty shield it is made out of thicker 3/16 inch Lucite which will not flex as much as the thinner shield material and is much more rigid than the two piece Rifle shield. If you are going to a higher shield I would highly recommend the Clearview heavy duty shield. Roy Cope
> Dear List, > > I am 6'3 tall with out riding boots and I am looking > for a taller windshield. I have held out for awhile > because I didn't want a dorky looking taller > windshield but my work commute is now 25 minutes on > the highway at 70mph and it is a little loud. I ride > pretty much on roads all the time (I live in > Massachusetts). Any help would be great. > > Thanks, > > Ken