nklr - low seat height

DSN_KLR650
truper234@aol.com

harley to quit making motorcycles (nklr)

Post by truper234@aol.com » Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:34 pm

I think that pretty much sums up the Harley scene now days........ I'd love to have a Harley myself but I just can't afford the mandantory new pickup truck to haul it around in ! One thing a Harley and a hound dog have in common, they both like to ride in the back of the pickup.........nice one Don steve nw NC [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

monahanwb@yahoo.com

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:06 pm

Will the new "faux" models still fall apart while waiting in the garage, just like the originals? Bill (I've owned three of the porkers)

jonathan.sykes@ps.ge.com

Post by jonathan.sykes@ps.ge.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:12 am

IMHO, Harley quit making motorcycles a long time ago. Or quit progressing, whichever way you look at it. Interesting marketing idea: double the price of a crap product and the yuppies think it must be good. I see BMW has picked up on that one too.

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:33 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jonathan.sykes@p... wrote:
> IMHO, Harley quit making motorcycles a long time ago. Or quit
progressing,
> whichever way you look at it. > > Interesting marketing idea: double the price of a crap product and
the
> yuppies think it must be good. I see BMW has picked up on that one
too. On the contrary, I think Harley made a bold move with their V-Rod. Unfortunately, they made a bike for the masses, but only produce a limited number and allow their dealerships to add 50% to the price. Gino

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:57 pm

You don't really think BMW makes a "crap product" do you? Their bikes are OK as far as I know. And as far as "quit progressing... a long time ago", you own a KLR, right? KLR's aren't exactly a dynamic platform of cutting edge motorcycle development either, are they? I don't think that the latest greatest is really necessary to love a bike. Some Harley riders are OK people and love their bikes in the same way I love my KLR, some of them are obnoxious RUB's who are only interested in the poser factor. You can't lump them all together. Let us not judge other bikes lest ours be judged against us. Even though the KLR cult is powerful and all-knowing, it behooves us to be benevolent. CA Stu <- Feeling mellow today, woke up on the right side of bed. ----Original Message----- IMHO, Harley quit making motorcycles a long time ago. Or quit progressing, whichever way you look at it. Interesting marketing idea: double the price of a crap product and the yuppies think it must be good. I see BMW has picked up on that one too.

ATO137528@aol.com

Post by ATO137528@aol.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:08 pm

In a message dated 11/8/2001 1:58:59 PM Central Standard Time, s2mumford@... writes:
> KLR's aren't exactly a dynamic platform of cutting edge motorcycle > development either, are they?
38mm forks weren't exactly cutting edge even in 1987! (I'd GLADLY pay another coulpa' hundred for a set of 44's off a KX. Would it kill KHI to make this minor change???) I luv my KLR anyway. It's almost obsolete as I feel sometimes, but I like to think I also have some utility and a few good times still left in me too. LOL [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mpasuit@coxtarget.com

Post by mpasuit@coxtarget.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:11 pm

> On the contrary, I think Harley made a bold move with their V-Rod. > Unfortunately, they made a bike for the masses, but only produce a > limited number and allow their dealerships to add 50% to the price. > > Gino
Amen brother. They kept putting in print that the bike would be about $13,000 to the masses. Ha I saw one in the cycletrader for $35,000 . ha ha ha ha . Keep your overpriced, overweight, tassle flapping p.o.c. Damn that could be 7 new KLRs. Mike P

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:18 pm

Are you suggesting that BMW makes a crap product? I would say the product is fine, but their are pricey/overpriced.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jonathan.sykes@p... wrote: > Interesting marketing idea: double the price of a crap product and the > yuppies think it must be good. I see BMW has picked up on that one too.

Miata Myk

Post by Miata Myk » Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:23 pm

> Some Harley riders are OK people and love their bikes in the same way I
love
> my KLR, some of them are obnoxious RUB's who are only interested in the > poser factor. You can't lump them all together.
On the way back from Deal's Gap we were passed by 5 fairly large guys on some pretty sweet rides covered in all sorts of sleeping bags, etc. They also happened to be wearing very well-worn Outlaws leathers/jackets. I have no reason to believe they were not since, frankly they'd be killed if they were posing for it. I can only imagine what would be left of anyone in here who walked up to one of them and informed them they just bought a bike for the poser factor. ;) Then again, I wonder what a group of 5 Outlaws would do if they happened across a group of 5 KLR riders, all well worn, covered in touring gear, mud on the bikes, and the same well-knowing look of someone who spent a lot of time on the bike out in the middle of nowhere. Confused perhaps, but I'd venture a reasonable amount of respect even if it wasn't directed at the steed of choice.

Ryan Newman

Post by Ryan Newman » Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:01 am

> You don't really think BMW makes a "crap product" do you? Their bikes are
OK
> as far as I know.
I have owned one, so I can talk. The newer ABS equipped BMW bikes have some *serious* problems. The brakes don't work unless the engine is running. So if your engine dies, you have ZERO brakes. Also, when moving the bike around at home or at the shop, when you push it by hand, you can't use the brakes to stop it, cause it just keeps rolling. I have no idea how they got that past safety inspectors. BMW's of late are way over-engineered, to the point that they have way to many probable components to break. And what's with the 550 lb weight anyways? You lay that over and there's no way your gonna pick it up. Ryan