pinging on regular(wfo)

DSN_KLR650
mighty_oak1@yahoo.com

speedometer accurate???

Post by mighty_oak1@yahoo.com » Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:17 pm

Hi all, I've come across a couple of references (while searching other KLR web sites) to the difference between the speedometer speed versus the actual speed. Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why? Thanks, B. J. Morris

Dale Johnson

speedometer accurate???

Post by Dale Johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:24 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., mighty_oak1@y... wrote:
> Hi all, > > I've come across a couple of references (while searching other KLR
web
> sites) to the difference between the speedometer speed versus the > actual speed. Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why? > > Thanks, > B. J. Morris
No it's not, I think it's one of those extras, or unintentional design features (flaws).. Dale

Stu

speedometer accurate???

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:28 pm

> --- In DSN_klr650@y..., mighty_oak1@y... wrote: > > Hi all, > > > > I've come across a couple of references (while searching other
KLR
> web > > sites) to the difference between the speedometer speed versus the > > actual speed. Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not,
why?
> > > > Thanks, > > B. J. Morris
No it's not accurate. It's made by GM and Harley and it is a special design to make sure you don't exceed maximum potatofication speed while doing 180 on your sportbike with the balanced tires. Plus it makes one feel ... so..... FAST!!!! Neeeeeoooooooowwwwwwwwww! CA Stu

Ted Palmer

speedometer accurate???

Post by Ted Palmer » Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:58 am

mighty_oak1@... wrote: [...]
> Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why?
Very few OEM speedos in any an motor vehicle is accurate. E.g. my 1983 Datsun speedo was more accurate than a 25,000km-old 2001 rentacar electronic speedo when checked against a fixed speed-warning gadget out on a freeway. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

TLrydr@aol.com

speedometer accurate???

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:38 am

In a message dated 11/7/01 9:27:13 PM EST, mighty_oak1@... writes: << Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why? >> J B I think my speedo is more correct than most, I was stoped for doing 61mph in a 55, and my speedo said 61. Last weekend , That was a 1000 mile weekend in Big Bend) I was stoped doing 60mph in a 50 zone, Speedo was right on , I was looking down at the speedo when he hit his lights, Mine seems to be more accurate than most. Mike

zooka@att.net

speedometer accurate???

Post by zooka@att.net » Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:41 am

I've checked mine against my Garmin Etrex Legend GPS, and at 70mph indicated on the speedo, the GPS reads 64mph. Joe A15
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., mighty_oak1@y... wrote: > Hi all, > > I've come across a couple of references (while searching other KLR web > sites) to the difference between the speedometer speed versus the > actual speed. Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why? > > Thanks, > B. J. Morris

Devon Jarvis

speedometer accurate???

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:24 am

I've had my speedometer's "checked" like this twice before, and both times (once on the KLR, once on another bike) they were dead on to the radar gun. On both bikes I had front tires that seemed to be a little larger diameter than stock, and the speedo read a little lower than before I changed the tires. Devon A15 TLrydr@... wrote:
> > In a message dated 11/7/01 9:27:13 PM EST, mighty_oak1@... writes: > > > > J B I think my speedo is more correct than most, > I was stoped for doing 61mph in a 55, and my speedo said 61. > Last weekend , That was a 1000 mile weekend in Big Bend) I was stoped doing > 60mph in a 50 zone, Speedo was right on , I was looking down at the speedo > when he hit his lights, Mine seems to be more accurate than most. > > Mike > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

TLrydr@aol.com

pinging on regular(wfo)

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:16 pm

In a message dated 11/8/01 11:42:55 AM EST, bradcdavis@... writes: << Are you running stock jetting? Brad >> No, I am running dyno jet 155 main needle clip 3ed from the top, 21/2 turns out on polit screw, Screen out of air box, K&N filter, Custom ceramic coated pipe, I am running the AM gripster rear, Very impressed with this tire Mileage and grip once its warmed up. GP 110 front. Kaw tall windshield, I travel self suffent, We get tired we pull over and camp, Tent sleeping bag water for coffee little food for meals, and whiskey to drink, sometimes straight, My friends KLR is port and polished heads, custom made pipe, 155 main(keihin) not dyno jet, one washer under needle, screen out of air box, also K&N, 2 1/2 turns out on polit screw. He beats me in 2 to 3 MPG all the time, better mileage, Also his bike is a little faster like about one MPH, Pulls me ever so slow. Also he degreed his cams, I for got, but I think he advanced them. Drilled out the hole or something, Hell this is the guy that has the 1999 color but wants the army green color. He bought the KLR with something like 2000 miles and took the engine apart just to look around for design flaws. Mike

Jim Keal

speedometer accurate???

Post by Jim Keal » Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:37 pm

>From: mighty_oak1@...
Is my KLR650's speedometer not accurate? If not, why? Most Bike Speedo's are wrong - A BMW engineer told me that they allow a fudge factor. The only real problem with the KLR speedo is that the numbers are in the wrong place. Jim Duluth _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp