cleaning out my garage-it's all got to go!

DSN_KLR650
Joseph Labate

klr electrics

Post by Joseph Labate » Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:47 pm

I'm planning on installing heated grips (the coil type that wrap around the bar) on my KLR and need some advice on how to wire them. I understand I need to use a relay. Also, what's the latest thinking on upgrading the output of the alternator? Should I do it or can I run the heated grips and a electric vest with the OEM? If I need to upgrade, what is the best way to go? If this is all old stuff for the list, you can PM me. Thanks. jlabate Photography and Intermedia School of Art University of Arizona phone 520.621.8938 fax 520.621.2955

Steven van Twuyver

klr electrics

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:46 am

I would not bother upgrading the stator part of the alternator for higher output. Actually, I would like to see someone give the aftermarket another shot to see if it has improved as claimed - but I am no longer interested being a manufacturer's field tester. The stock stator has all the poles wire-wound, the aftermarket does not, so it is hard to believe that there is extra energy being generated. The stock alternator will run a vest OR grips at freeway RPMs without problems assuming you are running stock wattage headlight. Heated grips use about 45 watts and the no-sleeve vests are in the same ballpark. As for the foil grips, I would only wire the high output through a relay. The low setting comsumes the same electrical output and it adds a failure point that isn't needed. When your hands are cold you want max heat and these foils typically do OK in moderately cold temps but struggle in colder temps. -svt-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Joseph Labate Wrote: I'm planning on installing heated grips (the coil type that wrap around the bar) on my KLR and need some advice on how to wire them. I understand I need to use a relay. Also, what's the latest thinking on upgrading the output of the alternator? Should I do it or can I run the heated grips and a electric vest with the OEM? If I need to upgrade, what is the best way to go?

Rich Kickbush

klr electrics

Post by Rich Kickbush » Sun Mar 11, 2001 11:07 am

Steve wrote As for the
> foil grips, I would only wire the high output through a relay. The low > setting comsumes the same electrical output and it adds a failure point
that
> isn't needed. When your hands are cold you want max heat and these foils > typically do OK in moderately cold temps but struggle in colder temps. > -svt- > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
There might be different types of foil heaters out there. The ones I have have two indentical circuits in each grip, you just run one or both for low/high heat. I recommend using a relay to switch a separate fused line direct from the battery, and having a switch to be able to have the high / low. High is good for warming up fast, but I find I need to be able to switch to low, it heats up the gel grips too much and they get too hot, regardless of ambient temp, if you can believe that. A vest is great...if that's all you're running, you should be fine with the stock charging system. Rich

Steven van Twuyver

klr electrics

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Sun Mar 11, 2001 11:21 am

The brand name I have escapes me, but they sold for around $20-25. These foils have a ceramic resistor in-line for the low setting. -svt-
>> >There might be different types of foil heaters out there. The ones I have >have two indentical circuits in each grip, you just run one or both for >low/high heat. I recommend using a relay to switch a separate fused line >direct from the battery, and having a switch to be able to have the high / >low. High is good for warming up fast, but I find I need to be able to >switch to low, it heats up the gel grips too much and they get too hot, >regardless of ambient temp, if you can believe that. A vest is great...if >that's all you're running, you should be fine with the stock charging >system. >

Bert Fox

klr electrics

Post by Bert Fox » Sun Mar 11, 2001 11:30 am

The grip heater grids are something like Kimpex? Fred can order them from Parts Unlimited. Baja Designs also sells them at www.bajadesigns.com. They are often listed under ATV acc, but I have used them on various motorcycles with excellent results. Usually under $40 with a new set of grips. The ODI or ATI dualsport grips work well as did some Scott grips. Bert Fox --- Steven van Twuyver wrote:
> The brand name I have escapes me, but they sold for > around $20-25. These > foils have a ceramic resistor in-line for the low > setting. > -svt- > > >> > >There might be different types of foil heaters out > there. The ones I have > >have two indentical circuits in each grip, you just > run one or both for > >low/high heat. I recommend using a relay to switch > a separate fused line > >direct from the battery, and having a switch to be > able to have the high / > >low. High is good for warming up fast, but I find > I need to be able to > >switch to low, it heats up the gel grips too much > and they get too hot, > >regardless of ambient temp, if you can believe > that. A vest is great...if > >that's all you're running, you should be fine with > the stock charging > >system. > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at > http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. http://auctions.yahoo.com/

jirvine78@hotmail.com

klr electrics

Post by jirvine78@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:46 pm

I run a Widder vest that I think pulls in the 40's. Also kimpex heated grips. They work together but I don't think there is much excess.

Gerry Exmann

klr electrics

Post by Gerry Exmann » Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:17 pm

Hi All I have just recently purchased a 95 KLR650 and would like to add heated grips and a electric vest outlet. Will the KLR alternator support these additional loads? Gerry Exmann

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

klr electrics

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:25 pm

yes. i've been using a combo of elec gloves/chaps/vest for years without any major problems. just don't sit at idle for a long time with them on and then turn the bike off and expect to start it with the starter 8^)...
> -----Original Message----- > From: Gerry Exmann [mailto:gexmann@...] > Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 2:26 PM > To: KLR GROUP > Subject: [DSN_klr650] KLR electrics > > > Hi All > > I have just recently purchased a 95 KLR650 and would like to add heated > grips and a electric vest outlet. Will the KLR alternator support these > additional loads? > > Gerry Exmann > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

marcclarke@unforgettable.com

klr electrics

Post by marcclarke@unforgettable.com » Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:06 pm

Conditionally yes. I suggest that you get wave form choppers controllers (not resistors) so you can draw as little power as necessary when running at less than full heat. I got the optional Aerostitch wave chopper as a controller with my Aerostitch electric vest. If I get Hot Grips I will get their controller as well or get another Aerostitch controller. -- Marc, Kawasaki KLR650 A12, Loveland, Colorado, USA ----Original Message-----
>From: Gerry Exmann >To: KLR GROUP DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: [DSN_klr650] KLR electrics >Date: Saturday, October 13, 2001 14:25 > >Hi All > >I have just recently purchased a 95 KLR650 and would like to add heated >grips and a electric vest outlet. Will the KLR alternator support these >additional loads? > >Gerry Exmann >

klx650dan@eatmydirt.com

klr electrics

Post by klx650dan@eatmydirt.com » Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:41 pm

Have been using the Gerbing gloves, full sleeved jacket and socks for the last two winters... never had a problem. yes I turn the rocker switch off at low rpm situations. The clothing does not get as warm as when used on on the Concours. The Professor, Jim, and I tested it and at low rpm and then taking a load on the battery at idle with clothing on, then reving engine to 2500 rpm, the battery would come back to 13.2 volts.. Ok that is a minimum but .. hey it works and taking the KLR from OR down the coast to San Jose last Dec.. it ran fine started fine, I wuz warm,, nice trip too! Dan P Graham WA
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Gerry Exmann wrote: > Hi All > > I have just recently purchased a 95 KLR650 and would like to add heated > grips and a electric vest outlet. Will the KLR alternator support these > additional loads? > > Gerry Exmann