on-bike storage

DSN_KLR650
steve pye

nklr guns !

Post by steve pye » Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:42 pm

-----Original Message----- From: guymanbro@... To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, September 28, 2001 1:10 PM
>I'm tellin you whut...if half the boyz on this list are half the men >they cliam to be, owning half the guns they claim to own -- Well, I >think we got the homeland pretty much secure thanks very much. >dat brooklyn bum (no guns but the ones I's born with--I'll mosh an >enemy to death in an instant though!)
LOL ! Now here's an NKLR thread to start, how many and what kind of guns do you guys own?? Cheers, Steve A11 .303 Lee-Enfield No 1 mk III Remington 870 Express 12 ga.

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

nklr guns !

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:54 pm

living now in colorado, seemingly land of countless gun shops/owners, and with the recent happenings, i plan on buying one in the near future. i've never even fired one, although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. not sure, but i guess i'm favoring the idea of a pistol. _pete your friendly neighborhood gun-toting(?) bike-riding ER doc...
> -----Original Message----- > From: Steve Pye [mailto:spye@...] > Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 11:45 AM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Guns ! > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: guymanbro@... > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Date: Friday, September 28, 2001 1:10 PM > > > >I'm tellin you whut...if half the boyz on this list are half the men > >they cliam to be, owning half the guns they claim to own -- Well, I > >think we got the homeland pretty much secure thanks very much. > >dat brooklyn bum (no guns but the ones I's born with--I'll mosh an > >enemy to death in an instant though!) > > > LOL ! Now here's an NKLR thread to start, how many and what kind > of guns do > you guys own?? > Cheers, > Steve > A11 > .303 Lee-Enfield No 1 mk III > Remington 870 Express 12 ga. > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Don Detloff

nklr guns !

Post by Don Detloff » Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:03 pm

> ... although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... > > any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. > >
BB gun? You'll shoot your eye out! Mom 1954 Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI, USA '00 KLR650 '00 Triumph Sprint RS '64 Yamaha Trail 80 (Ret)

Kurt Simpson

nklr guns !

Post by Kurt Simpson » Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:04 pm

living now in colorado, seemingly land of countless gun shops/owners, and with the recent happenings, i plan on buying one in the near future. i've never even fired one, although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. not sure, but i guess i'm favoring the idea of a pistol. _pete _______ Try a Kimber .45.... Kurt

Zachariah Mully

nklr guns !

Post by Zachariah Mully » Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:25 pm

Uh-oh!
> LOL ! Now here's an NKLR thread to start, how many and what > kind of guns do > you guys own?? > Cheers, > Steve > A11 > .303 Lee-Enfield No 1 mk III > Remington 870 Express 12 ga.
Some highlights of family compound gun room (since I can't own anything in DC) this is not a complete list... my dad keeps adding stuff that I haven't found yet... rat-tat-tat's (all under my dad's green card, not mine): *Browning 1919 A(?) tank version, link fed .30-06 *MAC10 (.45) fast *Sten (9mm) fun Shotguns: *Remington 870 Express 20ga. with 18.1" barrel (my first gun that I took a hacksaw to) *Winchester model 19, 12Ga with an adjustable choke *Ruger o/u 12Ga. (blued receiver, my high school graduation present) *410 inserts for above Ruger make skeet a challenge again *Remington Recoiless Trap 12Ga. (really works) *Mossberg 500 youth 20Ga. (pistol grip...) Rifles: *2xM1 Garands (watch that finger!) *.303 Lee NO.1 MkIII *Springfield 1903A3 .30-06 *Colt AR-15 Sportsman (pre-ban) w/.22, 7.62x39 conversion *M1 Carbines *Marlin .35 lever action brush rifle (forget the model #) *2xRuger 1022's in SS with laminated Mannlicher stocks and Aimpoints (die squirrels! die!) *Browning Micro A-bolt, in SS w/synth stock .348 Weatherby Mag (I think, for elk) *Couple of .50 Hawken Style black powder rifles Pistols: *SW model 41 (my .22 target pistol, pre-1970 manufacture I believe) *Glock 21 (.45ACP) w/pre-ban magazines with 2+ conversions *Two limited edition Desert Storm Commemorative Edition Glock 17's (1000 made) *SW model 17 .22 revolver (made in 1966?) *Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine single action (great off hand at 100+ yds) *Ruger Blackhawk .45ACP/.45LC in SS (bowling pin demolisher) *SW model 66 (my dad's carry gun) Plus whole bunch more that I can't remember (haven't been back to shoot with my dad in at least a year now)... If I wasn't being paid so well (and if I didn't detest MD and VA so much) I would be living someplace where I could own a firearm... I can have a long arm in DC but have to periodically register it (every 2yrs? I think), total BS. ------------------ Zack Banana Republic of Washington, DC KLR650A5 "Buster" | KLR650A2 | ZG1000A1 | KZ440A2 | KX125G1 | 1966 Vespa 125 COG #4664 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759.

Devon Jarvis

nklr guns !

Post by Devon Jarvis » Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:55 pm

I've fired maybe 10 different guns, all handguns except for 2 types of 22 rifle. I'm really dangerous if you're a paper target, but actually drilling holes in somebody would make me stop and think. Hitting somebody with my 4 d-cell Maglight, that's another thing. Whatever you do get, Practice, Practice, Practice. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to hit something with a pistol, even 30 feet away if you don't practice once a month at least. For just the home, I would get a shotgun with the shortest barrel that's legal and a reverse choke (spreads the shot out sooner). Hard to miss with one of these, plus you could load the shotgun with rock salt or beanbag ammo, leaving the last shell either 00 or a slug. Then there's the trigger lock, only key hanging around my neck, the locking rack inside the bedroom closet, and even with all that the moments of pure terror when I realize my kid is out of sight and has been too quiet for too long. I think I'll stick with my flashlight. Devon A15 "Peter Dahlheimer, MD" wrote:
> > living now in colorado, seemingly land of countless gun shops/owners, and > with the recent happenings, i plan on buying one in the near future. i've > never even fired one, although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... > > any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. > > not sure, but i guess i'm favoring the idea of a pistol. > > _pete > your friendly neighborhood gun-toting(?) bike-riding ER doc... > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Steve Pye [mailto:spye@...] > > Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 11:45 AM > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Guns ! > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: guymanbro@... > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Date: Friday, September 28, 2001 1:10 PM > > > > > > >I'm tellin you whut...if half the boyz on this list are half the men > > >they cliam to be, owning half the guns they claim to own -- Well, I > > >think we got the homeland pretty much secure thanks very much. > > >dat brooklyn bum (no guns but the ones I's born with--I'll mosh an > > >enemy to death in an instant though!) > > > > > > LOL ! Now here's an NKLR thread to start, how many and what kind > > of guns do > > you guys own?? > > Cheers, > > Steve > > A11 > > .303 Lee-Enfield No 1 mk III > > Remington 870 Express 12 ga. > > > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Be part of the Adventure! > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > _________________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

FGJ

nklr guns !

Post by FGJ » Fri Sep 28, 2001 2:46 pm

> living now in colorado, seemingly land of countless gun shops/owners, and > with the recent happenings, i plan on buying one in the near future. i've > never even fired one, although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... > > any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. > > not sure, but i guess i'm favoring the idea of a pistol.
Pete Pistols are great for carry on your person or in a car, but they require complete familiarity and practice to be effective, and unlike TV and film's handguns are only effective when hitting the vitals, they really have no stopping power per se, for the home a shotgun is the way to fly, they are very intimidating, everyone particularly dirtbags recognize the sound of a pump shotgun shucking in a shell, and at close range a light trap or dove load is devastating but won't have enough power to go through the walls and maim or kill a family member, and you can hit with them considerable ease because you have more points of attatchment than a pistol not because of the shot spread which is a common fallacy, unless you've been through Delta Force training or the SAS you're highly unlikely to hit anyone with a pistol in the dark, and if things go awry you can buttstroke the bad guy, chances are when they hear the slide being racked they will remember a previous engagement and dissapear instantly, don't use buckshot or slugs in the house unless you live alone, the light shot loads I mentioned will "rathole" someone at close range unless they're wearing body armor, and if you're actually going to shoot someone go for center of mass and shoot them until they stop moving. Fred J

tismybutt@yahoo.com

nklr guns !

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Fri Sep 28, 2001 2:49 pm

T/C Contender 7x30 Waters 14", 45/70 16" Ruger Super blackwahk 44 mag 7.5"(marsh gun) Ruger P90 45 ACP Ruger Single six stainless 22/22mag Ruger 10/22 Norinco SKS, milled receiver butler crrek sporter stock Mossberg 12 ga. slug n bird barrels Marlin 22 mag bolt stainless The stainless guns are the wifes. I reload for the 44 and the 730. The 45/70 is too punishing for recreational shooting. I don't carry when I ride.

marcclarke@unforgettable.com

nklr guns !

Post by marcclarke@unforgettable.com » Fri Sep 28, 2001 2:57 pm

Peter, Ask around at the local Colorado gun shops for an NRA self-defense course. They teach proper handgun safety and handling skills, as well as how to effectively and legally defend your life with a firearm. For a reasonably priced and effective handgun, I suggest you look at the stainless double-action Ruger revolvers in .357 Magnum. A hot .357 Magnum round is about a 96% effective first-shot stopper. A semi-automatic pistol is not a beginner's gun. A revolver is highly reliable, requires little maintenance, and will not go "boom" unless and until you explicitly tell it to. A .357 Magnum can shoot light and inexpensive .38 special rounds for practice. The most effective personal defense weapon ever devised is a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 (pronounced "double-ought") buckshot (to 25 yards) and sabotted finned slugs (to 100 yards). Both will penetrate vehicles. The Remington 870 and the Mossberg 12 gauge pumps are reasonably priced and high reliable. Traditional bird-hunting style bead shotgun sights are worthless on a shotgun for personal defense. Rifle sights on a shotgun (typically called riot guns) are OK but slow to use. Ghost ring sights are very fast to use and very accurate (on a shotgun). The 00 buck load is approximately a 100% effective first shot stopper (but I will have to check my copies of Marshall and Sanow to verify that figure). With freedom (the right to keep and bear arms, the right to protect yourself and your loved ones without surrendering all your personal freedoms to a totalitarian government) comes responsibility. You are responsible for the inadvertent effects of any round you launch. I suggest you look into frangible rounds such as the Glaser and Mag-Safe. These rounds will not exit a building and will not ricochet. These rounds are 100% effective first-shot stoppers. They are too expensive for practice rounds. A first shot stop is defined as an attacker not being able to fire another shot, stab, or strike after being shot. A first shot stop has nothing to do with mortality, only with shutting down an in-progress attack. Please feel free to contact me off-list for more details (should you wish) so we do not clutter up the list. -- Marc (NRA Life Member), Kawasaki KLR650 A12, Loveland, Colorado, USA ----Original Message-----
>From: "Peter Dahlheimer, MD" >To: "Steve Pye" ; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Guns ! >Date: Friday, September 28, 2001 11:55 > >living now in colorado, seemingly land of countless gun shops/owners, and >with the recent happenings, i plan on buying one in the near future. i've >never even fired one, although i'm a damned good shot with a BB gun 8^)... > >any comments, recommendations, referrals, etc are appreciated. > >not sure, but i guess i'm favoring the idea of a pistol. > >_pete >your friendly neighborhood gun-toting(?) bike-riding ER doc...

FGJ

nklr guns !

Post by FGJ » Fri Sep 28, 2001 3:04 pm

> A first shot stop is defined as an attacker not being able to fire another
shot, stab, or strike after being shot. A first shot stop has nothing to do with mortality, only with shutting down an in-progress attack. Marc The most effective "one shot stop" is IMHO the beehive round from the 120mm smoothbore on the Abrahms ;-) Years ago an old China Marine told me " if your lookin for stopping power get a Buick " KLR's and ordinace a dangerous combination :-0 Fred J