nklr messages-nklr

DSN_KLR650
RM

nklr - shafties

Post by RM » Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:24 pm

--- Riley Harlton wrote:
> They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking.
Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from occuring, no matter how hard you try. RM __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com

Scott Adams

nklr - shafties

Post by Scott Adams » Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:49 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a troll? From: "RM"
> --- Riley Harlton wrote: > > > They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking. > > Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from occuring, > no matter how hard you try. > > RM

Dale Johnson

nklr - shafties

Post by Dale Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:58 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote:
> --- Riley Harlton wrote: > > > They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking. > > Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from
occuring,
> no matter how hard you try.
--Snip Question: I was taught that the Coriolis force was not a real force, but a fictitious one. The proof of this is found in the inability of the Coriolis force to do any work. Answer: It is true that the Coriolis force does no work. Yet, the ability to do work is not a prerequisite for a force. If the Coriolis force were to be disqualified owing to its inability to do work, it would take a number of other well established forces along with it into oblivion. For example, a charged particle, such as an electron, moving in a static magnetic field has no work done on it by that field even though it experiences the magnetic force. Alas, a claim for the fictitious nature of the Coriolis force based upon its inability to do work is an ex post facto argument (one concocted to support a position arrived at for different reasons).

Kurt Simpson

nklr - shafties

Post by Kurt Simpson » Thu Sep 27, 2001 5:09 pm

The internet is full of shafties doing wheelies..so let's say it is a troll... Kurt PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a troll? From: "RM"
> --- Riley Harlton wrote: > > > They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking. > > Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from > occuring, no matter how hard you try. > > RM
Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Krgrife@aol.com

nklr - shafties

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:55 pm

In a message dated 9/27/01 2:55:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, klr@... writes:
> --- Riley Harlton wrote: > > > They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking. > > Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from occuring, > no matter how hard you try. >>
Anyone who thinks shafties won't wheelie hasn't ridden a V-Max or a V-65 Sabre or Magna. And yes, I think this was a troll. Kurt Grife

RM

nklr - shafties

Post by RM » Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:29 pm

--- Scott Adams wrote:
>>Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from >>occuring, no matter how hard you try. >PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a troll?
No, it's true! According to reeky, "the pole-dipole forces, coupled with the inertial moment (which is uncancelled), make it impossible for shaft drive bikes (even with horsepower approaching infinity) to wheelie." Go do a Deja search! RM __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone. http://phone.yahoo.com

klx650dan@eatmydirt.com

nklr - shafties

Post by klx650dan@eatmydirt.com » Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:32 pm

Don't tell some of the Concours riders that..
> > >>Shafties cannot wheelie.

Ted Palmer

nklr - shafties

Post by Ted Palmer » Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:49 pm

RM wrote:
> --- Riley Harlton wrote: > > > They can wheelie and do counter steer. I think he was joking. > > Shafties cannot wheelie. The Coriolis Effect prevents this from occuring, > no matter how hard you try.
More often it is the Aureola Effect around the rider. Mister_T Meloburne Australia

Ted Palmer

nklr - shafties

Post by Ted Palmer » Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:02 pm

Dale Johnson wrote: [...]
> Question: > I was taught that the Coriolis force was not a real force, but a > fictitious one. The proof of this is found in the inability of the > Coriolis force to do any work. > > Answer:
[...] Much like the stock front brake on a KLR, Classical Newtonian physics does have some limitations. It works, up to a point, then you hang some extra bits on it. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

Fred Williams

nklr messages-nklr

Post by Fred Williams » Sat Sep 29, 2001 1:38 am

Y'Know the cb-750 list USED to say "the largest MC related list". now it says "largest honda related". Because I told them we had more multiple personality disorders here.. Fred A15