what does it mean when ...

DSN_KLR650
Scott Adams

gotta haves and where to get them

Post by Scott Adams » Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:44 pm

I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the new (to me) KLR, things like: extra shift lever (moose folding?) Clutch and/or Brake levers Vista Cruz Air and Oil filters Tire Irons Both Manuals etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe even prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if there was anything better... Scott C. Adams Scott@... or www.attorneyadams.com 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127

Frank Sikorski

Post by Frank Sikorski » Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:16 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Scott Adams" wrote:
> I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the
new (to me)
> KLR, things like: > > extra shift lever (moose folding?) > Clutch and/or Brake levers > Vista Cruz > Air and Oil filters > Tire Irons > Both Manuals > > etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? > > Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and
maybe even
> prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't
know if
> there was anything better... > > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@A... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127
Your first thought is correct, Fred is "The Man". You will not be disappointed. He's FAST, knowledgeable and his prices are fair. Not to mention he stocks damn near everything under the sun. But be warned, if you're anything like me, calling Fred is like letting a kid loose in a candy store. Frank Sikorski Vancouver, WA. A-14

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:23 pm

I have bought a bunch of stuff from Arrowhead, always satisfied. Dual-star and Happy-trails have also been good to deal with also. Prices were close enough that I tend to buy from the person I spent the most time on the phone with asking questions, which has been Fred. Skip the extra clutch lever, and mount alloy-reinforced handguards instead. They've saved my levers (and perches) a dozen times already. Loosen the mirror perch bolts, apply blue loctite (medium strength) and re-tighten just enough so you can rotate the perches on the bar with a bit of muscle. This way they won't break in a fall, just move around. I carry a spare shift lever with me when off-road. Also, Aerostich sells titanium tire irons if you have a little too much money on hand. Devon A15 Scott Adams wrote:
> > I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the new (to me) > KLR, things like: > > extra shift lever (moose folding?) > Clutch and/or Brake levers > Vista Cruz > Air and Oil filters > Tire Irons > Both Manuals > > etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? > > Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe even > prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if > there was anything better... > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127 > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RichardM

Post by RichardM » Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:46 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Scott Adams" wrote:
>extra shift lever (moose folding?)
Or IMS. I don't know which one is truly "better" but the stock lever is at its best use when hiding out in your tankbag as a spare.
>Clutch and/or Brake levers
Consider new handguards (bark-busters). It's pretty hard to bust a lever with a properly installed guard in place.
>Air and Oil filters
My OEM air filter is on its fourth cleaning and it's holding up well. I wouldn't rush to buy a new one. For oil filters, the Fram CH6070 is probably the most common at bike shops and it's usually around $6. The lowest cost filter I've found is the EMGO 10-30000 (is that the right number of zeros?) which is $1.90 from parts411.com (order number M300-MD). Their shipping calc is messed up, so place a voice order if you go this route.
>Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe >even prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but >didn't know if there was anything better...
Conditions were ripe a few weeks back for an Arrowhead Motorsports Holy War. It never quite happened. I just say that it's up to you to figure out how you want to balance fast, right, and cheap. Getting two of the three is easy, no matter who you buy from. RM

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:13 pm

I just received my stainless steel fasteners from Jake Jakeman (jake_sagebrush@...), and am quite pleased. Great service, good products, reasonable prices. And these hex-head babies won't strip out like the cheesy Philips fasteners that Kawasaki uses in certain places. Don't forget a good bash plate, too... Arden Kysely A11 "Mr. K"
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Scott Adams" wrote: > I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the new (to me) > KLR, things like: > > extra shift lever (moose folding?) > Clutch and/or Brake levers > Vista Cruz > Air and Oil filters > Tire Irons > Both Manuals > > etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? > > Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe even > prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if > there was anything better... > > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@A... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:52 pm

Moose Plate, Clutch Cable, Stainless Steel Oil Filter. I like your list idea.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Scott Adams" wrote: > I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the new (to me) > KLR, things like: > > extra shift lever (moose folding?) > Clutch and/or Brake levers > Vista Cruz > Air and Oil filters > Tire Irons > Both Manuals > > etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? > > Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe even > prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if > there was anything better... > > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@A... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Tue Sep 04, 2001 7:56 pm

Fred is the greatest.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Scott Adams" wrote: > prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if > there was anything better... > > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@A... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127

monahanwb@yahoo.com

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:16 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., IronJungle@H... wrote:
> Fred is the greatest.
Yep, so don't forget.....the steel foot pegs. I have the IMS "flightline" pegs....a great addition for winter riding or dirt.

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Tue Sep 04, 2001 8:38 pm

Arden: What do they fasten? Do they make the bike look 'trick'? Pat
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Arden Kysely" wrote: > I just received my stainless steel fasteners from Jake Jakeman > (jake_sagebrush@h...), and am quite pleased. (503) 324-1127

Susan Moorhead

Post by Susan Moorhead » Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:05 pm

Scott, IMHO, there is nobody better to deal with than Fred. I've ordered from him on many occasions, the service is always great and FAST. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served)
----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Adams To: KLR Mailing List DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 3:23 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Gotta Haves and Where to Get Them > I have been putting together a list of the "gotta haves" for the new (to me) > KLR, things like: > > extra shift lever (moose folding?) > Clutch and/or Brake levers > Vista Cruz > Air and Oil filters > Tire Irons > Both Manuals > > etc. etc. etc. Does this "list" already exist? > > Where do people suggest getting these things? I don't mind and maybe even > prefer mailorder I have thought about Fred at Arrowhead but didn't know if > there was anything better... > > > Scott C. Adams > Scott@... or www.attorneyadams.com > 20565 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., #301, Aloha, Oregon 97006 > (503) 324-0111 or fax (503) 324-1127