moron nklr a little help..

DSN_KLR650
Harley1Man

ready to buy, but.....!!!

Post by Harley1Man » Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:24 am

Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was leaning towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an issue? Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike recommendation how old? Thanks in advance for your input. Charles PS- No I'm not loaded $$$$, just very broke... ;-)

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:03 am

At 3:13 PM +0000 9/4/01, Harley1Man wrote:
>Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during >that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type >or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the >input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was >leaning >towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a >specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: >don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an >issue? >Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: >would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike >recommendation how old?
Miles are more important than year in my opinion. The "don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla..." line is just that: Bla Bla Bla. The only ways I'd buy a new bike are if I new nothing about wrenching and had no intention of doing my own work, or if I were planning on a 'round-the-world trip. I'd still trust my Tengai and A3 for transcontinental use though. Either way, I'd aim for a bike with less than 12,000 miles on it upon acquisition, unless you find one for cheap (see below). Mark B2 (33K miles) paid $1,200 4 years ago with 7K A2 (49K miles) paid $550 32 months ago with 34K, came with a 70% complete parts bike A3 (23.5K miles) paid $650 4 months ago with 22K

MERK

Post by MERK » Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:50 am

If you`d prefer new (I do too), then why not get a Non-Current 2001 or 2000? This way you`d still get a better price, and have the advantage of warranty plus you break in the bike and therefore know how it`s been treated. The used bikes in my area (there weren`t many) were too expensive when compared to new bikes. (2000`s with 5000-10000km offered at 5000.00(CDN) ) I bought my 2001 for 5700.00+taxes. Really down to you though, what you find locally and what the pocketbook will allow...... MERK!.........Deeds Speak!! merk26@...

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:56 am

At this point, you have enough bits to make a another bike if need be- it's hard to lose with so many spares and lots of KLR specific experience. Someone getting a used bike for the first time won't have it so easy. You usually don't have to wait for parts, or be without a bike if you do. If you buy a dog, you can mostly get your money back in parts if need be. I'm in the same boat with SR500 Yamahas, but I'm new to KLRs. I bought a new bike simply because I am tired of cleaning up after previous owners who didn't share my ideas about proper upkeep and maintainance. I would love to get a spare KLR or two, if only to build one with a high-tuned motor and lots of suspension mods. The time I save not having to refurbish the bike will offset the cost significantly. Like all the bikes I've owned, if I do 10,000mi a year the bike pays for itself in beer I couldn't drink, because I'm out riding. In the meantime I have my A15, mostly stock, which starts whenever I hit the button. No twist spliced wires, no couch foam rubber-banded around the air filter cage, no wood screws holding the battery box in place, no layers of crusty old duct tape instead of rim bands, etc you get the picture. If you can get an '01 leftover from a dealer stuck with one, get it. It's exactly the same bike, different paint only. Devon A15 78 SR500 81 SR500 Mark wrote:
> > At 3:13 PM +0000 9/4/01, Harley1Man wrote: > >Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during > >that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type > >or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the > >input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was > >leaning > >towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a > >specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: > >don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an > >issue? > >Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > >would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > >recommendation how old? > > Miles are more important than year in my opinion. The "don't get a > 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla..." line is just that: Bla Bla > Bla. The only ways I'd buy a new bike are if I new nothing about > wrenching and had no intention of doing my own work, or if I were > planning on a 'round-the-world trip. I'd still trust my Tengai and A3 > for transcontinental use though. Either way, I'd aim for a bike with > less than 12,000 miles on it upon acquisition, unless you find one > for cheap (see below). > Mark > B2 (33K miles) paid $1,200 4 years ago with 7K > A2 (49K miles) paid $550 32 months ago with 34K, came with a 70% > complete parts bike > A3 (23.5K miles) paid $650 4 months ago with 22K > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:33 pm

I had a 1987 (A1) and now have a 1997 (A11). The basic KLR design hasn't changed much in that time, just a few minor improvements. If you can find a clean used bike with 12k miles or less and you're comfortable buying a used bike, then do it and save some money. Take the seat and tank off an have a look-see, and check the steerer tube for cracks in the paint (too many wheelies). My A11 cost me $2650 with 12k miles and lots of extras. I also bought the A1 used. The only "bad" years I know of are when the paint schemes got out of control in the early 90's, and that's only cosmetic. Some guys but a KLR and realize it's not for them, and lots of them don't see much dirt use, so bargains do show up if you've got time to wait. Arden Kysely A11 "Mr. K"
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Harley1Man" wrote: > Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during > that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type > or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the > input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was > leaning > towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a > specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: > don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an > issue? > Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > recommendation how old? > > Thanks in advance for your input. > > Charles > > PS- No I'm not loaded $$$$, just very broke... ;-)

J. Gregory

Post by J. Gregory » Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:51 pm

I recommend a new one with warrantee I bought new in June and bought the three year extension with unlimited mileage . how ever I have friend with a 1989 model that he is very happy with. I prefer new just because if something goes wrong I can just say fix it. ain't rich either just maken' payments jim rddevil arkansas
----- Original Message ----- From: "Harley1Man" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 10:13 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Ready to Buy, but.....!!! > Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during > that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type > or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the > input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was > leaning > towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a > specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: > don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an > issue? > Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > recommendation how old? > > Thanks in advance for your input. > > Charles > > PS- No I'm not loaded $$$$, just very broke... ;-) > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:16 pm

> Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > recommendation how old?
It's my opinion that new is the best way to go because then YOU control the break-in period, which is going to determine what kind of bike you'll have, and for how long you'll have it. Unless you happen to know an anal retentive who does everything by the book, and then some, *I* would avoid used. Certainly at this time of the year I would look for a 2001 - Ronnie's in Pittsfield, MA had a clearance sale going a short time ago to get rid of all their 2001 Kawasaki's, including the KLR650, which was selling for $4,295 - (and may still be, I'm not sure.) If you're going to go with a used bike, I would look for anything from 1996 or so, on up. I would assume you won't want a bike that's been thrashed in the woods, or whatever, and has had regular maintenance by someone not too broke to replace the oil filter with each change, or use decent oil, etc. You should be able to tell quite a bit about the bike by the way it looks and sounds; buying "over the internet" seems to me to be a bad thing where used bikes are concerned. However it turns out for you, good luck. You'll LOVE the KLR! Mark St.Hilaire, Sr msaint@... A15 My HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html My KLR650 Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ Valve Check & Adjustment Guide: http://klr6500.tripod.com/valves.html

Susan Moorhead

Post by Susan Moorhead » Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:45 pm

Charles, I guess I could have gone either way, but I got lucky and found a 3 year old KLX with only 1700 miles on it in like new condition. Look around, I see low mileage KLRs on this site on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with a new one tho. Just my .02 worth. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served)
----- Original Message ----- From: Harley1Man To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 10:13 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Ready to Buy, but.....!!! > Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during > that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type > or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the > input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was > leaning > towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a > specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: > don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an > issue? > Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > recommendation how old? > > Thanks in advance for your input. > > Charles > > PS- No I'm not loaded $$$$, just very broke... ;-) >

rob

Post by rob » Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:47 am

From the mid 90's on, I think KLR's are fairly identical in terms of design, aren't they?? Susan Moorhead wrote:
> Charles, > > I guess I could have gone either way, but I got lucky and found a 3 year old > KLX with only 1700 miles on it in like new condition. Look around, I see > low mileage KLRs on this site on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with a new > one tho. Just my .02 worth. > > Marshall in Afton, Ok > '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served) > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Harley1Man > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 10:13 AM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Ready to Buy, but.....!!! > > > Well, I've been ready to buy a KLR for about 6-8 months and during > > that time I have read thousands of postings (man can you guys type > > or what...)and visited hundreds or web pages. Thanks for all the > > input. But, I have a question. I'm a "new" kind of guy and was > > leaning > > towards getting a new 2002 KLR650 ($5K). Should I do that? Is there a > > specific used year/model that I should stay away from? For example: > > don't get a 199X because the ...bla...bla..bla... Is mileage an > > issue? > > Many of ya'll have 10k+ on your bikes and still going. Bottom line: > > would ya'll get a new KLR or get a used one. If a used bike > > recommendation how old? > > > > Thanks in advance for your input. > > > > Charles > > > > PS- No I'm not loaded $$$$, just very broke... ;-) > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kurt Simpson

Post by Kurt Simpson » Wed Sep 05, 2001 11:08 am

> From the mid 90's on, I think KLR's are fairly identical in > terms of design, aren't they??
Yes most, but not all, '96's and up... Kurt