u.s. marines klr 650

DSN_KLR650
cb750@apex.net

"technical riding"

Post by cb750@apex.net » Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:30 pm

Hi all, I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and "serious technical riding". Can someone define these for me? Are we talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. -- Mark Hubbard: markh@...

S2Mumford@aol.com

"technical riding"

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:31 pm

Means difficult terrain. For example, rocky + steep = technical. Rocky + steep + in the dark + in the snow + up the middle of a slimy creek bed = serious technical riding. CA Stu
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., cb750@a... wrote: > Hi all, > > I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and > "serious technical riding". Can someone define these for me? Are we > talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a > re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. > > -- > Mark Hubbard: markh@d...

InWoods13@aol.com

"technical riding"

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:04 pm

In a message dated 9/5/01 3:34:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cb750@... writes: << Hi all, I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and "serious technical riding." Can someone define these for me? Are we talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. -- Mark Hubbard: markh@... >> Heya Mark, I've referred to "technical sections" in previous posts. Not to be confused with riding technically correct, off road. (elbows up, staying loose, etc) of which David Bailey was the master. My definition of technical riding on the KLR.. is water, mud, deep sugar sand, and sandy whoop de doos. (we don't have rocks here in Florida) With the whoops being an Excellent cardiovascular workout on the KLR...though I suspect, not condusive to long frame life. My KLR's let me know in no uncertain terms that she just won't continue to serve me, if I launch her into air. My sometimes humble definition of technical, changes with lighter more dirt oriented bikes. There, tech would be deep sandy whoops at speed, neat jumps of all sorts with tight turns right at the landings, done repeatedly. Never rode a real enduro, or desert competition..but that's very technical off road riding. Bob Hannah had an uncanny knack for keeping his bike upright, while smoking the field in the hairiest of technical sections. Not always alot of flash, but the fastest thru the technical stuff in motocross. Which put him into the Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2000. Yea, Bob's my hero...real tough guy. He got into racing planes for awhile after retiring from motocross. The definition of technical riding is relative to what you're riding, where you're riding & how much you've been practicing. Speaking of which...time to ride! All best Scott A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl

Dan Oaks

"technical riding"

Post by Dan Oaks » Thu Sep 06, 2001 4:27 am

on 9/5/01 7:06 PM, cb750@... at cb750@... wrote:
> Hi all, > > I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and > "serious technical riding". Can someone define these for me? Are we > talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a > re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. > > -- > Mark Hubbard: markh@... > >
You'll probably get as many different answers as respondents to that one, Mark. To me, technical riding is slow and deliberate on the nastiest shit you can find; falling over, flying over, flipping over, laying down, sinking, hanging, endo-ing, eating your front tire, burning flesh on exhaust pipes, violent sterilization by handlebars and gas tank, kickstand in the groin, rectal probes by turn signals, etc. Slowly crashing into a tree, whilst exuding pure class and demonstrating great skill. Leaving your bike hanging by the clutch lever on the side of a hill meantime rolling gracefully to the bottom in your clown suit. Technical to me is slow motion motocrash, leaning towards trials riding. Rocks, loose gravel, logs, roots, rotten granite, tight surroundings, steep hills; you know, all the stuff that we don't have here in Central Florida. It should be interesting to see the responses you get from everyone. -- bierdo

racingreplicas@orwell.net

"technical riding"

Post by racingreplicas@orwell.net » Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:43 pm

I was going to say check out a trials video from the sixties or early seventies, preferably with Sammy Tanner involved, but Dan seems to have said it all Ed Windsor
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Oaks" To: ; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:27 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] "technical riding" > on 9/5/01 7:06 PM, cb750@... at cb750@... wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and > > "serious technical riding". Can someone define these for me? Are we > > talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a > > re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. > > > > -- > > Mark Hubbard: markh@... > > > > > You'll probably get as many different answers as respondents to that one, > Mark. > > To me, technical riding is slow and deliberate on the nastiest shit you can > find; falling over, flying over, flipping over, laying down, sinking, > hanging, endo-ing, eating your front tire, burning flesh on exhaust pipes, > violent sterilization by handlebars and gas tank, kickstand in the groin, > rectal probes by turn signals, etc. > > Slowly crashing into a tree, whilst exuding pure class and demonstrating > great skill. Leaving your bike hanging by the clutch lever on the side of a > hill meantime rolling gracefully to the bottom in your clown suit. > > Technical to me is slow motion motocrash, leaning towards trials riding. > Rocks, loose gravel, logs, roots, rotten granite, tight surroundings, steep > hills; you know, all the stuff that we don't have here in Central Florida. > > It should be interesting to see the responses you get from everyone. > > -- > bierdo > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

kcorriga@together.net

"technical riding"

Post by kcorriga@together.net » Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:06 pm

I've been away from the list for awhile but it's good to see that Bierdo has hung in here to keep us focused on the serious side of KLR ownership. The description of "Serious Technical Riding' covers most of the bases as pertaining to riding on the KLR. Although one feat not mentioned that I have perfected is the 'foot down on the downhill side followed by a one half gainer and a 450 lb bench press', also known in skiers parlance as the "Yard Sale". However these descriptions are only appplicable to KLR's, KTM's, DR's, Rokon Trailbreaker's and other motorcycles of that ilk. When refering to technical riding on a BMW one must convert to the Beemer vernacular where 'Serious Technical Riding' means - asphalt versus pavement , riding under adverse lighting conditions, navigating with a dead GPS battery, and the choice between chaps with or without pants...... (it's good to be back) K.C. (clay, rocks, steep wet washout, fallen trees, cow paths, grown over logging roads, even 85% of public roads are dirt = Vermont) 2 Y2KLR's
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dan Oaks wrote: > on 9/5/01 7:06 PM, cb750@a... at cb750@a... wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > I've seen several mentions in the archives of "technical riding" and > > "serious technical riding". Can someone define these for me? Are we > > talking about high-flying, low-flying, or no-flying? or what? I'm a > > re-entry rider and don't know much of the jargon. > > > > -- > > Mark Hubbard: markh@d... > > > > > You'll probably get as many different answers as respondents to that one, > Mark. > > To me, technical riding is slow and deliberate on the nastiest shit you can > find; falling over, flying over, flipping over, laying down, sinking, > hanging, endo-ing, eating your front tire, burning flesh on exhaust pipes, > violent sterilization by handlebars and gas tank, kickstand in the groin, > rectal probes by turn signals, etc. > > Slowly crashing into a tree, whilst exuding pure class and demonstrating > great skill. Leaving your bike hanging by the clutch lever on the side of a > hill meantime rolling gracefully to the bottom in your clown suit. > > Technical to me is slow motion motocrash, leaning towards trials riding. > Rocks, loose gravel, logs, roots, rotten granite, tight surroundings, steep > hills; you know, all the stuff that we don't have here in Central Florida. > > It should be interesting to see the responses you get from everyone. > > -- > bierdo

RL

"technical riding"

Post by RL » Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:13 pm

on 9/6/01 8:00 PM, kcorriga@... at kcorriga@... wrote: The description of "Serious Technical Riding'
> covers most of the bases as pertaining to riding on the KLR.
However these descriptions are only appplicable to
> KLR's, KTM's, DR's, Rokon Trailbreaker's and other motorcycles > of that ilk.
Having owned a Rokon, and having even ridden it in an enduro, I beg to differ at the assertion that it can be considered in the same sentence as a dirt bike. The two wheel drive Rokon takes riding to a whole new level. The Rokon is a ride that is more like a tank than a motorcycle. And when the water was too deep, shut off the fuel, throw it on it's side and row across. Should have kept the beast. When refering to technical riding on a BMW one must
> convert to the Beemer vernacular where 'Serious Technical > Riding' means - asphalt versus pavement , riding under adverse > lighting conditions, navigating with a dead GPS battery, and the > choice between chaps with or without pants...... (it's good to be > back) > > K.C.
Now as for the BMW GS comments please have a look at:'() http://www.pbase.com/rainman/big_dog_2001 http://www.pbase.com/rainman/reno_200 http://www.dualsportmagazine.com/NewFiles/BMWdualsport.html And for a site that describes what riding we should all do: http://www.acworld.net/members/didi/Colorado2001.htm -- RL Lemke Dallas, Texas 2001 Ozarks Fall Color Tour: http://www.dualsportmagazine.com/NewFiles/RidePhotos.htm

Duvall Ed

"technical riding"

Post by Duvall Ed » Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:15 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., kcorriga@t... wrote: > >The description of "Serious Technical Riding' > covers most of the bases as pertaining to riding on the KLR. > Although one feat not mentioned that I have perfected is the 'foot > down on the downhill side followed by a one half gainer and a > 450 lb bench press', also known in skiers parlance as the "Yard > Sale". > > K.C. I've taken technical riding to a new level with my perfectly executed, 9.9 on a scale of 10, head first "Cannon Ball" into a glacially fed stream on a cold early Saturday morning ride. The best way to do it is to ride across a glacially fed stream on a wooden plank thats covered with black ice that you can't see. Make sure you wait until you're 3/4 of the way across the stream before you intiate the cannonball manuever to insure maximum enjoyment effect for your riding buddies. Bonus points if the temperature is hovering around freezing. Extra style points if you're leg flails about a bit looking for a place to dab before you bite it. I personally prefer the lightening fast version, where you don't even have time to react, you just go head first into the drink. Ed -Keeping dry in Duvall- Boyd I can't see and I'm 3/4 of the way across before the bike decides to slam me down, of course there's no where to put a foot down.

kcorriga@together.net

"technical riding"

Post by kcorriga@together.net » Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:11 am

Ed, it sounds like we could put on quite a show if we ever went riding together. I thought I was the zen master of "serious technical riding" but your "Cannon Ball" manuver is priceless. I have not had the opportunity yet to practice this feat but I probably will when I least expect it. Thanks for the grins! K.C. (laughing so hard in Vermont, I think I spotted?) 2 Y2KLRs
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Duvall Ed" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., kcorriga@t... wrote: > > > >The description of "Serious Technical Riding' > > covers most of the bases as pertaining to riding on the KLR. > > Although one feat not mentioned that I have perfected is the 'foot > > down on the downhill side followed by a one half gainer and a > > 450 lb bench press', also known in skiers parlance as the "Yard > > Sale". > > > > > > K.C. > > I've taken technical riding to a new level with my perfectly > executed, 9.9 on a scale of 10, head first "Cannon Ball" into a > glacially fed stream on a cold early Saturday morning ride. > > The best way to do it is to ride across a glacially fed stream on a > wooden plank thats covered with black ice that you can't see. Make > sure you wait until you're 3/4 of the way across the stream before > you intiate the cannonball manuever to insure maximum enjoyment > effect for your riding buddies. Bonus points if the temperature is > hovering around freezing. > > Extra style points if you're leg flails about a bit looking for a > place to dab before you bite it. I personally prefer the lightening > fast version, where you don't even have time to react, you just go > head first into the drink. > > Ed -Keeping dry in Duvall- Boyd > > > > I can't see and I'm 3/4 of the way across before the bike decides to > slam me down, of course there's no where to put a foot down.

John Lyon

u.s. marines klr 650

Post by John Lyon » Fri Sep 07, 2001 8:07 am

http://www.imsproducts.com/ John
On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:47:14 -0000, mrgadgetklr@... wrote: Has anyone seen the website that sells the tank that is made for the Marines KLR? _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/