klr kehin cvk 40 mm carb.

DSN_KLR650
Wontco@yahoo.com

nklr-jackets? yer vote counts.

Post by Wontco@yahoo.com » Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:07 am

Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 choices: Belstaff Merlin--BM Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM Being the indecisive bastard that I am though I can't get past these last two, so I was hoping to get some list input to sway me that last little bit. Both are Cordura 500; the TM has some 1000 in select areas. Advantage TM? Not really. The TM is, from what I've read, about 90% waterproof and can be made 99% proof with some extra treatment. Also the cordura is proofed by a polyurethane back coating which does not breath AT ALL. The BM is supposedly 99.9% proof off the rack and uses 3M Hytel which breathes (like Gore Tex only newer and lighter) for proofing. I'm in a humid climate so breathability is a huge plus. Advantage BM Both have removeable liner- TM is quilted thinsulate. BM is fleece. Both have removeable armor- BM is made by knoxx, but the back pad costs an extra 35 bucks. TM seems to have more features and pockets (1 in, 6 out) and stuff, but I like the look of the BM a little more(OH vanity!). They both cost about the same, $260USD, until you factor in the extra cost of back armor, leaving the Belstaff about $40 more. Lastly, I can drive 45 mins to a shop that Sells tourmaster to try on, feel, and play with the Cortech. There's not a shop that carries Belstaff within 7 hours of me so I'd have to do the "Shop Online Best Guess and use Fitment Chart" method. Does this sound dangerous? I think I'm leaning towards the Belstaff. If you have an opinion or input, it's appreciated. I want to be comfortable and well protected in town and on cross country trips, but $300 is an investment for me so I can only afford to do this once. Thanks--Kevin

Porter H. Watson

Post by Porter H. Watson » Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:36 pm

Not a comparison, as I've no experience with Belstaff, but did a nice, long trip(11,000 miles)with the Tourmaster and liked it. That bugger does cut the wind!---PHW
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:07:33 -0000, Wontco@... wrote: > Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured > the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 > choices: > > Belstaff Merlin--BM > Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM > Being the indecisive bastard that I am though I can't get past these > last two, so I was hoping to get some list input to sway me that last > little bit. > > Both are Cordura 500; the TM has some 1000 in select areas. > Advantage TM? Not really. > The TM is, from what I've read, about 90% waterproof and can be made > 99% proof with some extra treatment. Also the cordura is proofed by a > polyurethane back coating which does not breath AT ALL. The BM is > supposedly 99.9% proof off the rack and uses 3M Hytel which breathes > (like Gore Tex only newer and lighter) for proofing. I'm in a humid > climate so breathability is a huge plus. > Advantage BM > Both have removeable liner- TM is quilted thinsulate. BM is fleece. > Both have removeable armor- BM is made by knoxx, but the back pad > costs an extra 35 bucks. > TM seems to have more features and pockets (1 in, 6 out) and stuff, > but I like the look of the BM a little more(OH vanity!). > They both cost about the same, $260USD, until you factor in the extra > cost of back armor, leaving the Belstaff about $40 more. > > Lastly, I can drive 45 mins to a shop that Sells tourmaster to try > on, feel, and play with the Cortech. There's not a shop that carries > Belstaff within 7 hours of me so I'd have to do the "Shop Online Best > Guess and use Fitment Chart" method. Does this sound dangerous? > > I think I'm leaning towards the Belstaff. If you have an opinion or > input, it's appreciated. I want to be comfortable and well protected > in town and on cross country trips, but $300 is an investment for me > so I can only afford to do this once. > Thanks--Kevin > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > on the road(almost) and lovin' it!! _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

RichardM

Post by RichardM » Sun Aug 26, 2001 3:08 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Wontco@y... wrote:
>Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured >the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 >choices: > >Belstaff Merlin--BM >Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM
The TM 3/4 jacket has changed a little since I bought mine about 2 years ago. The older one looks a little better. The current one looks like a better jacket. Many shops still have the old one in stock. Look carefully. RM

KLR650@houston.rr.com

Post by KLR650@houston.rr.com » Sun Aug 26, 2001 4:39 pm

Check this out: http://gerret.dnsart.com/klr/gearep.html Gerret A15 "Mj lnir"
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Wontco@y... wrote: > Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured > the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 > choices: > > Belstaff Merlin--BM > Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM > Being the indecisive bastard that I am though I can't get past these > last two, so I was hoping to get some list input to sway me that last > little bit. > > Both are Cordura 500; the TM has some 1000 in select areas. > Advantage TM? Not really. > The TM is, from what I've read, about 90% waterproof and can be made > 99% proof with some extra treatment. Also the cordura is proofed by a > polyurethane back coating which does not breath AT ALL. The BM is > supposedly 99.9% proof off the rack and uses 3M Hytel which breathes > (like Gore Tex only newer and lighter) for proofing. I'm in a humid > climate so breathability is a huge plus. > Advantage BM > Both have removeable liner- TM is quilted thinsulate. BM is fleece. > Both have removeable armor- BM is made by knoxx, but the back pad > costs an extra 35 bucks. > TM seems to have more features and pockets (1 in, 6 out) and stuff, > but I like the look of the BM a little more(OH vanity!). > They both cost about the same, $260USD, until you factor in the extra > cost of back armor, leaving the Belstaff about $40 more. > > Lastly, I can drive 45 mins to a shop that Sells tourmaster to try > on, feel, and play with the Cortech. There's not a shop that carries > Belstaff within 7 hours of me so I'd have to do the "Shop Online Best > Guess and use Fitment Chart" method. Does this sound dangerous? > > I think I'm leaning towards the Belstaff. If you have an opinion or > input, it's appreciated. I want to be comfortable and well protected > in town and on cross country trips, but $300 is an investment for me > so I can only afford to do this once. > Thanks--Kevin

jett@rimrockconsulting.com

Post by jett@rimrockconsulting.com » Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:59 pm

I got the Tourmaster Cortech Sport last year and have been very happy with it. I went back and got the pants 2 weeks later for $199. (I'm a believer in protective pants at highway speeds). I got black/black to reduce the chances of getting my butt kicked, but some people might want a brighter highlight color. I haven't tested the waterproofness (living in Phoenix). The venting isn't great over 105. I ended up getting another summer jacket for the heat. The jacket and pants together do give me a nice feeling of security, as well as isolation from unpleasant weather. The quilted liner is plenty warm in. I got an XL (my usual size) and it's a bit baggy without the liner, but I think a L would have been too small. Trying on the gear is a good thing. The bugs and dirt also wash out nicely (take the pads out) in the laundry. I don't have any experience with the Belstaff; it might be great stuff, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the Tourmaster gear again. Jett
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Wontco@y... wrote: > Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured > the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 > choices: > > Belstaff Merlin--BM > Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM > Being the indecisive bastard that I am though I can't get past these > last two, so I was hoping to get some list input to sway me that last > little bit. > snip

Susan Moorhead

Post by Susan Moorhead » Sun Aug 26, 2001 7:05 pm

Kevin, I got the Tourmaster one piece suit for Christmas last year, have ridden with it in extreme rain and had no problems with it, never got the first drop of moisture on any of my clothes. Seems to breathe just fine in the summer, lots of vents. Here in NorthEast Ok. it can and does get quite humid with temps often over the century mark. I have no complaints. Can't help you with the BM brand, never tried em. Hope this helps. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3 "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served)
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 11:07 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR-Jackets? Yer Vote counts. > Gonna get cooler soon, and it's time to get a jacket. I've scoured > the archives, rummaged the search engines, and narrowed down to 2 > choices: > > Belstaff Merlin--BM > Tourmaster 3/4 Cortech--TM > Being the indecisive bastard that I am though I can't get past these > last two, so I was hoping to get some list input to sway me that last > little bit. > > Both are Cordura 500; the TM has some 1000 in select areas. > Advantage TM? Not really. > The TM is, from what I've read, about 90% waterproof and can be made > 99% proof with some extra treatment. Also the cordura is proofed by a > polyurethane back coating which does not breath AT ALL. The BM is > supposedly 99.9% proof off the rack and uses 3M Hytel which breathes > (like Gore Tex only newer and lighter) for proofing. I'm in a humid > climate so breathability is a huge plus. > Advantage BM > Both have removeable liner- TM is quilted thinsulate. BM is fleece. > Both have removeable armor- BM is made by knoxx, but the back pad > costs an extra 35 bucks. > TM seems to have more features and pockets (1 in, 6 out) and stuff, > but I like the look of the BM a little more(OH vanity!). > They both cost about the same, $260USD, until you factor in the extra > cost of back armor, leaving the Belstaff about $40 more. > > Lastly, I can drive 45 mins to a shop that Sells tourmaster to try > on, feel, and play with the Cortech. There's not a shop that carries > Belstaff within 7 hours of me so I'd have to do the "Shop Online Best > Guess and use Fitment Chart" method. Does this sound dangerous? > > I think I'm leaning towards the Belstaff. If you have an opinion or > input, it's appreciated. I want to be comfortable and well protected > in town and on cross country trips, but $300 is an investment for me > so I can only afford to do this once. > Thanks--Kevin >

David Kelly

klr kehin cvk 40 mm carb.

Post by David Kelly » Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:53 pm

"FGJ" writes:
> Does anyone know if there's a rebuild kit avail. for the KLR-600 carb ( > Kehin CVK), or do I have to spend a small fortune and wait for several weeks > for each part from my local Kawasaki dealer that stocks essentially nothing, > is this the same carb thats used on the KLR-650 ? And last but not least do > KLR folk's actually take off the tank, seat, unbolt the radiator and > everything else and then split the frame to remove the carb as the
You can determine for yourself how similar your CVK-40 is to other CVK-40's on big Kawasaki singles with the parts diagrams online at http://www.buykawasaki.com/ I needed a new throttle slide as the PO reassebled mine with a tear in the diaphragm. Dealer said Kawasaki list was $115. H-D dealer had almost exactly the same thing for $38.75. For the difference in price I can drill a bigger airhole in the bottom of it myself. Check this list's archive for "diaphragm" spelled with a g, and spelled without. Don't know what parts you believe you need for your CVK-40. At worst the float and its fuel stopper thingie are the only things which really wear out. Gaskets are o-rings and very reuseable. Don't know how similar your KLR is to my KLX, but the side covers, seat, and gas tank are all I have to remove to get the carb out. To remove the air box the electronics have to come off, and looks like the rear shock and exhaust as well. Thought it was pretty nice that I could get the throttle slide out without removing the carb. Wonder if that's how the PO damaged mine? -- David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@... ===================================================================== The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.