bmw grips on the klr?

DSN_KLR650
KLR650@houston.rr.com

carbon, carbon everywhere

Post by KLR650@houston.rr.com » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:57 pm

I pulled the head off my KLR650 last night and I noticed that it has (I have little experience with motorcycle engine building) a pretty good amount of carbon buildup on the piston and the area around the valves (except for the exhaust valves, of course). My bike only has 530 miles on it. How much carbon is normal? I could chip it off in thin flakes off of the squish band. I'm not really concerned about this, just curious. It is bone stock. Gerret A15 "Mj lnir"

Brad Davis

Post by Brad Davis » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:29 pm

> How much carbon is normal? I could chip it off in > thin flakes off of the squish band. I'm not really concerned about > this, just curious. It is bone stock. > > Gerret > A15 "Mj lnir"
That is surprising since it is stock. I though carbon was harder and more difficult to remove and not flaky like that. Maybe it is some kind of ash from higher than normal oil consumption since it is still breaking in. Anyone else have an idea.......? Brad

Brad Davis

Post by Brad Davis » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:31 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Brad Davis" wrote:
> > How much carbon is normal? I could chip it off in > > thin flakes off of the squish band. I'm not really concerned about > > this, just curious. It is bone stock. > > > > Gerret > > A15 "Mj lnir" > > That is surprising since it is stock. I though carbon was harder and > more difficult to remove and not flaky like that. Maybe it is some > kind of ash from higher than normal oil consumption since it is still > breaking in. Anyone else have an idea.......? > Brad
Whoops, I meant to say "That is surprising since it is so new." Brad

colorider@yahoo.com

bmw grips on the klr?

Post by colorider@yahoo.com » Fri Aug 24, 2001 8:12 pm

listers: Has anyone installed the BMW "GS type" grips on their KLR? Other than length, the BMW type look like they may fit. TIA, rod