stupid parking lights - summary

DSN_KLR650
TLrydr@aol.com

more hp from klr

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:13 pm

I got to see the head and valves out of a 1999 KLR stock motor, He is port and polishing the head,He stated that all the ports looked pretty good except the piston was very carboned up with only 4000 miles, Any way his total time porting and polishing is about 5 hours, Thats with everything setting on the work bench, I get to test ride the bike when he is done, Back to back to my Y2K jetted piped K&N regeared (16t) KLR. He also said that the KLR is a very simply motor to work on, But he is used to working on the Big CC 4s. So i guess a single would be easy to work on. Also he thinks a 38 Flat slide is to small of a after market carb for his KLR, I told him the big 41 and 44 carbs would not fit because of the starter being in the way of the float bowls, I gave him Fred's number and E mail address, and told him if anyone would no Fred would no, Mike

fred w smith

more hp from klr

Post by fred w smith » Sun Aug 19, 2001 4:28 pm

Who is doing this work???thanx, fred --- TLrydr@... wrote:
> I got to see the head and valves out of a 1999 > KLR stock motor, He is > port and polishing the head,He stated that all the > ports looked pretty good >
===== fred w smith, A Zen master once said to me "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't. But seriously, you knew it would happen eventually: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Jim Keal

stupid parking lights - summary

Post by Jim Keal » Mon Aug 20, 2001 8:09 am

I have recieved several suggestions, they are: 1.Install a relay,switching the power to the tail/brake lights, powered by the headlight circuit. That way the tailight can't be on unless the headlight circuit is powered. (Devon Jarvis) 2.Power the taillamp with the brown. Hook it up however you like. The brown is the main power feed (switched) for much of the bike. This will cause the lamp to be fused via the main fuse instead of the headlamp fuse. If this bothers you then give the new taillamp circuit its own fuse. (RM) 3. To SAFELY disable the parking light feature disconnect the RED/WHITE wire from the "wiring harness" side of the 6-wire connector that goes to the ignition switch. Attach this disconnected RED/WHITE wire end to the solid RED wire (on the wiring harness side) at this 6-wire connector. The tailight will only be lit when the ignition switch is in the ON position. Any accessories that are powered by the unused BROWN/WHITE "Euro" light wire will NOT be powered when the ignition switch is in the PARK position. The RED wire that goes to the ignition switch is fused by the 10 amp headlight fuse. The 20 amp MAIN fuse supplies power to all circuits on the KLR (including the headlight fuse), except for the cooling system fan & the ignition system. 4. Install switch inline on R/W to power off tailight. Connect to red power supply. Toggle one way the taillight functions as stock, toggle the other way and taillight is powered by the switched red supply. Left in modified mode the taillight is on with ignition in on mode.(my solution) Any comments or better ideas? -Jim 8,000 miles on my KLR - only left in park once (that's all it takes to kill the battery) _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp