front end shakes violently

DSN_KLR650
krukas2002@yahoo.com

front end shakes violently

Post by krukas2002@yahoo.com » Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Hello guys, As I was reading this message I was wondering what exactly is ment by a ' headshake ' as a figurative description of sensation when the wheels are not alingned? As English is not my native language I don't really know how to interpret this shaking head stuff. Are there any other body-signs I should be aware of when not aligned? I might have a problem with my bike as such cause the previous owner french-kissed a car onces. Mayby the whole frame isn't straight. So any input as to what you exactly expierience when the wheels are not aligned would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.(learned this expression on the site, rhymes good} Ben. -- In DSN_klr650@y..., Jsherlockholmz@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 7/10/01 12:29:47 AM Central Daylight Time, > DSN_klr650@y... writes: > > Fletch >> > Fletch, you need to get your front wheel off the ground. Once it
is and its
> stable, grab your forks and try to move them front to back and
right to left.
> If you have any movement your steering stem bearings are probably
bad. The
> shaking may have come from the steering stem nut not being properly > tightened, which in turn would hurt the bearings. If the front end
is solid,
> you need to check out the rear. Unfortunately, one of the places to
be
> checked are the bushings and bearing that go in the swingarm and
attach to
> the frame. If there is any excessive play in binding, your problem
is in the
> rear. If that all proves to be OK, then check your tires for true
front to
> back alignment. It is easily possible to get that rear tire on not
quite
> straight. This condition can translate into a violent head shake.
If the
> problem is none of these, then I'm stumped. > > Jim Sherlock