july 12 klr meet-up at prudhoe nklr

DSN_KLR650
Devon Jarvis

"shortie" windshield for klr, long

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Jul 05, 2001 11:24 pm

I have been thinking for a while about changing the windshield on my A15, since I am exactly short enough to catch the buffeting square in the face. Besides the irritating wobbling, the noise it generates is irritating even with earplugs. Larger wouldn't help during the summer, and I am more likely to break an oversize screen off-road. Someone suggested cutting down an old helmet faceplate. I recently retired a Shoei XS-P, and was left with two spare faceshields that don't fit my new helmet (same faceplate as RF800). I used a soldering iron to "cut" the sides off both faceplates, following two symmetrical lines cast into the faceplates during manufacture. This leaves it almost the exact width necessary to fit the KLR mini-fairing. I believe the fairing is soft and wobbly enough that the faceplate won't break apart from vibration. The stock fairing isn't rubber mounted either. I mounted the first one, using a bit of loctite and the stock fairing mount hardware. I got loctite onto the face of the plastic nuts, which contacted the faceplate. The first faceplate cracked instantly, anywhere the loctite touched it. Be very careful with this stuff around plastics. The KLR bodywork is a plastic that is not apparently affected by loctite, but the faceplate isn't! I mounted the second "windscreen" a few minutes ago (being a lot more careful with the loctite), I'll ride to work in the morning and see how it works. Devon A15 78 SR500 81 SR500

klrbill@yahoo.com

Post by klrbill@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:31 am

Did the same thing with a safety faceshield drilled for different mounting heights. It ended up cracking around the mounting holes even though it was sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. That was OK because it served it purpose in telling me how much to cut my stock sheild, I cut 2" and put some windsheild trim (used on snowmobiles) on the cut edge. Would like a taller sheild but the noise isn't worth it. cheers
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote: > I have been thinking for a while about changing the windshield on my > A15, since I am exactly short enough to catch the buffeting square in > the face. Besides the irritating wobbling, the noise it generates is > irritating even with earplugs. > > Larger wouldn't help during the summer, and I am more likely to break an > oversize screen off-road. Someone suggested cutting down an old helmet > faceplate. > > I recently retired a Shoei XS-P, and was left with two spare faceshields > that don't fit my new helmet (same faceplate as RF800). I used a > soldering iron to "cut" the sides off both faceplates, following two > symmetrical lines cast into the faceplates during manufacture. This > leaves it almost the exact width necessary to fit the KLR mini- fairing. > I believe the fairing is soft and wobbly enough that the faceplate won't > break apart from vibration. The stock fairing isn't rubber mounted > either. > > I mounted the first one, using a bit of loctite and the stock fairing > mount hardware. I got loctite onto the face of the plastic nuts, which > contacted the faceplate. The first faceplate cracked instantly, anywhere > the loctite touched it. Be very careful with this stuff around plastics. > The KLR bodywork is a plastic that is not apparently affected by > loctite, but the faceplate isn't! > > I mounted the second "windscreen" a few minutes ago (being a lot more > careful with the loctite), I'll ride to work in the morning and see how > it works. > > Devon > A15 > 78 SR500 > 81 SR500

Peter Berghs

Post by Peter Berghs » Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:43 am

I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on the road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not all of the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that the remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be able to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll live with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a more informed opinion when I get back. Peter B Calgary klrbill@... wrote:
> > Did the same thing with a safety faceshield drilled for different > mounting heights. It ended up cracking around the mounting holes even > though it was sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. That was OK > because it served it purpose in telling me how much to cut my stock > sheild, I cut 2" and put some windsheild trim (used on snowmobiles) > on the cut edge. Would like a taller sheild but the noise isn't worth > it. cheers

klrbill@yahoo.com

Post by klrbill@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:07 am

How much taller is the rifle than stock? I'll be up in BC (Mission) myself next weekend for the All Canada bike drags, try to make it if you can, it's a gas.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Peter Berghs wrote: > I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on the > road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not all of > the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that the > remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be able > to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll live > with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a more > informed opinion when I get back. > > Peter B > Calgary > > > klrbill@y... wrote: > > > > Did the same thing with a safety faceshield drilled for different > > mounting heights. It ended up cracking around the mounting holes even > > though it was sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. That was OK > > because it served it purpose in telling me how much to cut my stock > > sheild, I cut 2" and put some windsheild trim (used on snowmobiles) > > on the cut edge. Would like a taller sheild but the noise isn't worth > > it. cheers

Leon Droby

Post by Leon Droby » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:53 am

I have the tallest windscreen Clearview makes. I found the stock windscreen was unridable; too much noise. While the Clearview is quieter, on any highway trips over 60 minutes, I still like to use ear plugs. I think most of the noise with the Clearview has to do with the width of the screen and not necessarily the height. It's just too narrow to provide a large enough still air pocket. I know someone on the list adapted a handlebar mount fairing to the KLR. Does anyone have any information on how that was done? Leon Droby Uxbridge, MA A14 - Gherkin
> -----Original Message----- > From: Peter Berghs [mailto:pberghs@...] > Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 1:30 AM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: "Shortie" windshield for KLR, long > > > I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on the > road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not all of > the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that the > remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be able > to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll live > with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a more > informed opinion when I get back. > > Peter B > Calgary >

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:59 am

I hit 70 a few times going to work, the shorter windscreen leaves the visor in clear air and the helmet doesn't bounce around at all. I still get a good bit of noise since the buffeting hits at neck level, but it's better. I'll either cut the stock screen to the same height, or get a spare. Devon Leon Droby wrote:
> > I have the tallest windscreen Clearview makes. I found the stock windscreen > was unridable; too much noise. While the Clearview is quieter, on any > highway trips over 60 minutes, I still like to use ear plugs. > > I think most of the noise with the Clearview has to do with the width of the > screen and not necessarily the height. It's just too narrow to provide a > large enough still air pocket. > > I know someone on the list adapted a handlebar mount fairing to the KLR. > Does anyone have any information on how that was done? > > Leon Droby > Uxbridge, MA > A14 - Gherkin > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Peter Berghs [mailto:pberghs@...] > > Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 1:30 AM > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: "Shortie" windshield for KLR, long > > > > > > I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on the > > road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not all of > > the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that the > > remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be able > > to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll live > > with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a more > > informed opinion when I get back. > > > > Peter B > > Calgary > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Peter Berghs

Post by Peter Berghs » Fri Jul 06, 2001 11:54 am

The Riffle is 16 " measured from the edge of the fairong to the top of the screen. I'm going to put some comparison photos in the shared file area. Peter B Calgary Warthawg A15 klrbill@... wrote:
> > How much taller is the rifle than stock? I'll be up in BC (Mission) > myself next weekend for the All Canada bike drags, try to make it if > you can, it's a gas. > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Peter Berghs wrote: > > I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on > the > > road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not > all of > > the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that > the > > remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be > able > > to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll > live > > with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a > more > > informed opinion when I get back. > > > > Peter B > > Calgary > > > > > > klrbill@y... wrote: > > > > > > Did the same thing with a safety faceshield drilled for different > > > mounting heights. It ended up cracking around the mounting holes > even > > > though it was sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. That was OK > > > because it served it purpose in telling me how much to cut my > stock > > > sheild, I cut 2" and put some windsheild trim (used on > snowmobiles) > > > on the cut edge. Would like a taller sheild but the noise isn't > worth > > > it. cheers > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Peter Berghs

Post by Peter Berghs » Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:42 am

The one I have is 16", there are pictures on the Yahoo list site. After riding out to BC and back this week-end I've concluded that I like it better than the shorter screens. There is a nice still pocket of air in front of my face and keeping my visor up at 130 KM is not a problem anymore. No more head buffet except in cross-winds. There is still a fair amount of noise ...enough to require ear protection but it is coming from my shoulders and none of the KLR specific screens are wide enough to get around this. There are some downsides tho. The still pocket hampers the ventilation of my riding jacket and the transition from looking over the screen to through the screen when bouncing down a trail can be disconcerting, I should have got the clear version instead of the tinted. Peter B Calgary A15 Warthawg "Vojir, Joseph L" wrote:
> > Which Rifle tall? I understand they have a 13 and 16 tall versions. How tall > are you? I tried a Clearview +9 and got a lot of head vibration/buffet and > returned it. Have been thinking about a Rifle, however have seen very little > from the list on how the Rifle performs. > > TIA > > Joe Vojir > work: joseph.vojir@... > home: joevojir@... > > > ---------- > > From: Peter Berghs[SMTP:pberghs@...] > > Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 10:30 PM > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: "Shortie" windshield for KLR, long > > > > I installed a tall Rifle screen on Monday and have tested it out on the > > road twice now. It really cuts down on the hlemt buffet, but not all of > > the noise. By experimenting with arm position I'm pretty sure that the > > remaining noise is coming from the air hitting my arms. I might be able > > to fix that by adding wing-lets to the sides of the screen but I'll live > > with it for now. I heading out to BC this week-end, I'll have a more > > informed opinion when I get back. > > > > Peter B > > Calgary > > > > > > klrbill@... wrote: > > > > > > Did the same thing with a safety faceshield drilled for different > > > mounting heights. It ended up cracking around the mounting holes even > > > though it was sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. That was OK > > > because it served it purpose in telling me how much to cut my stock > > > sheild, I cut 2" and put some windsheild trim (used on snowmobiles) > > > on the cut edge. Would like a taller sheild but the noise isn't worth > > > it. cheers > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

fireball@heaslet.com

july 12 klr meet-up at prudhoe nklr

Post by fireball@heaslet.com » Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:07 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Peter Berghs wrote:
> Punky 'N Lew were in Calgary about 5:00 PM this past Friday.
Given that, sounds like he's keeping it slow. Fireball