trip report for the east coast branch nklr

DSN_KLR650
Juan Carlos Ibarra

old dog learning new tricks

Post by Juan Carlos Ibarra » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:42 pm

After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) Can you think of any tests I should run? Please Juan [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tobin Slide Lampson

Post by Tobin Slide Lampson » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:52 pm

It might be a little particle of debris in the float valve...... or, perhaps the enrichener circuit rubber is shot..... or cable is maybe cinched kicking the choke on a little.... Careful....enrichener circuit plastic is touchy...... Tob Juan Carlos Ibarra wrote:
> After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. > > What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? > > Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) > > Can you think of any tests I should run? > > Please > > Juan > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:53 pm

Most people put stuff on the bike to make it run 'less lean'. But lately I'm hearing talk that lister are complaining of their bike running too rich. My '01 blackens the rear fender a bit, but I this seems ok to me. When/If I get a pipe, I would be less likely to re-jet, etc. Is my logic flawed (like it usually is...)? Pat / Austin
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Juan Carlos Ibarra wrote: > After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. > > What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? > > Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) > > Can you think of any tests I should run? > > Please > > Juan > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Steven van Twuyver

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:36 pm

Juan, see if you can kill the engine by completely turning in the air mixture screw. Sometime the passage way gets blocked and it will have no effect. If this works ok and kills the engine reset it to your normal setting. Then check the slide diaphram. This is an expensive part because it is fused to the slide so both need to be replaced for $120USD. If the diaphram develops a pinhole leak, it won't lift the slide high enough on a given amount of vacuum and run rich. -svt-
>>>>>>>
After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) Can you think of any tests I should run? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Juan Carlos Ibarra

Post by Juan Carlos Ibarra » Fri Jun 29, 2001 12:58 am

Thanks Steve, But I have to cofess that I have no idea where this screw is located... please send me a map!!! :-) Juan
----- Original Message ----- From: Steven van Twuyver To: jbalam@... Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 11:39 PM Subject: re: Old dog learning new tricks Juan, see if you can kill the engine by completely turning in the air mixture screw. Sometime the passage way gets blocked and it will have no effect. If this works ok and kills the engine reset it to your normal setting. Then check the slide diaphram. This is an expensive part because it is fused to the slide so both need to be replaced for $120USD. If the diaphram develops a pinhole leak, it won't lift the slide high enough on a given amount of vacuum and run rich. -svt- >>>>>>> After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) Can you think of any tests I should run? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

tismybutt@yahoo.com

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:32 am

$120? I was quoted $158.98 for the slide in my 34cv's! Needless to say i bout a set of Mikuni 33 roundslide. For $150!! -- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Steven van Twuyver" wrote:
> Juan, see if you can kill the engine by completely turning in the
air mixture screw. Sometime the passage way gets blocked and it will have no effect. If this works ok and kills the engine reset it to your normal setting. Then check the slide diaphram. This is an expensive part because it is fused to the slide so both need to be replaced for $120USD. If the diaphram develops a pinhole leak, it won't lift the slide high enough on a given amount of vacuum and run rich.
> -svt- > >>>>>>> > > After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I
have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason.
> > What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are
the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves?
> > Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) > > Can you think of any tests I should run? > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tobin Slide Lampson

Post by Tobin Slide Lampson » Fri Jun 29, 2001 12:56 pm

Ah yes....good points......ideas......... JC---When observing from the left hand side of the motor(shifter side), if you look at the front of the carb, on the bottom, you'll see a small cylindrical aluminum shape protruding straight down(its rougly 3/8" dia.). Its just in front of the float bowl, between the bowl and barrel(cylinder). For many (and stock) these come with a sealed plate(plug) at the very bottom...... remove this and you can get to that adjust screw head(slotted, small)....... Hmmm.....I wonder if a meticulously applied dab of gas resistent silicone would cure a pinhole leak in the diaphragm.....seems roughly the same ballpark elasticity when dry.......if not perhaps the grey Yamabond #4 (which takes a few hours to set up....but is like already been chewed bubble gum, undried yet unsticky, and is petrol resistant....) Toby Juan Carlos Ibarra wrote:
> Thanks Steve, But I have to cofess that I have no idea where this screw is located... please send me a map!!! :-) > > Juan > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Steven van Twuyver > To: jbalam@... > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 11:39 PM > Subject: re: Old dog learning new tricks > > Juan, see if you can kill the engine by completely turning in the air mixture screw. Sometime the passage way gets blocked and it will have no effect. If this works ok and kills the engine reset it to your normal setting. Then check the slide diaphram. This is an expensive part because it is fused to the slide so both need to be replaced for $120USD. If the diaphram develops a pinhole leak, it won't lift the slide high enough on a given amount of vacuum and run rich. > -svt- > >>>>>>> > > After many years of faithful servcie, my A8 is running too rich! I have done nothing to it, it simply started doing it for no apparent reason. > > What do you think? Is it posible that poorly adjusted floats are the culprits? Cand they come out of adjustment by themselves? > > Did I put too much oil on the foam filter? (I doubt it, honestly) > > Can you think of any tests I should run? > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Steven van Twuyver

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Sat Jun 30, 2001 12:43 am

Juan, Check out the following photo: http://members.aol.com/cloudhid/carb.jpg/ The screw I am referring to is called Pilot Idle mixture. Due to EPA restriction, and I presume this will be true on any KLR whether sold in the USA or not, Kawasaki glues a tiny round aluminum plug in the hole to keep you away from the screw. The plug is about as thick as a small watch battery. If you take a small drill and drill throught the center of the plug you can insert a metal screw through this plug. You can then grab the head of the screw with a pair of pliers and yank it out the plug giving you access to the Pilot screw. Make sure you don't drill too deep. The plug is litterally not much thicker than a coin and made of relatively soft aluminum metal. -svt- -----Original Message----- From: Juan Carlos Ibarra To: Steven van Twuyver Date: Thursday, June 28, 2001 11:06 PM Subject: RE: Old dog learning new tricks Thanks Steve... but I have to confess that I have no idea where this screw is. I have looked for it everywhere without succes, please send me a map!!!! :-) Juan ----

Richard Ohnstad

trip report for the east coast branch nklr

Post by Richard Ohnstad » Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:15 am

Harry, It sounds like you didn't get much farther west of the front range of the Rockies than 50 miles. If so, you don't know what you missed as far as CO riding goes, whether we're talking dirt of asphalt. I don't know what roads you rode on, but the scenic roads I've been on (Durango to Ouray, for instance) don't have 20mph limits. Although its fun to ride off-road in the Rampart Range, there is a lot more scenic variety as well as surface variety going over Scofield pass a little south of Marble or in the Flattops just a little north of Glenwood Springs or some of the Forest Service roads passes a little west of Leadville. Richard in Tucson 94 KLR650 86 VFR750
> Just got back from Colorado. The first 1000 miles took 22 hours 16
minutes, made 1500 miles in 31 hours 20 minutes, and Colorado Springs in 33 hours. Total riding time was 24 hours.
> Total mileage for the trip was 3994, averaged 45.1 MPG @ 5000 RPM/70 MPH.
No problems and used the stock headlight the whole trip.
> First two days there was record highs (95-100 degrees). The first day was
spent getting maps, seeing the tourist stuff (mines, museums, etc,), and learning the live on very thin air. Second day I rode Rampart Range and Pike's Peak (bring a sweater!).
> I camped on Rampart Range for a couple of days in perfect weather and then
took off for Gold Camp Road/Stagecoach Road. These were more fun to ride and had easier side trails.
> It rained most of the day I was on Stagecoach Road until it started
snowing. I didn't bring much in the way of cold weather gear so I hit the paved road near Victor and scooted down to 7500 feet to escape the snow.
> Started getting bored with the Springs area and headed to Nebraska to
visit an old war buddy. Spent a couple of days there and hurried home (24 hours 47 minutes). The Rockies are nice but I prefer the Appalachians.
> I hoped to hook up with some of the Colorado Dualsport riders but either
Punky and Lew had soured them of us east coast riders or they ride the Ken Doll bikes and didn't want to associate with a GI Joe type.
> This trip would have been just as enjoyable if I had trailered an XR 250.
Middle America doesn't offer much biking excitement, long straight roads with lots of wind.
> The scenic roads in Colorado have 20 MPH speed limits. A 50 MPH ride down
the shady Deal's Gap reminded me "There's No Place Like Home".