digest number 1454

DSN_KLR650
Barry Levine

el paso, texas & clothing rec's

Post by Barry Levine » Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:18 am

Greetings to all! Firstly, wanted to express my appreciation to the membership for their contributions to this forum. I'm a very recent "newbie" to this group and have posted a few questions -and- received some answer (some via eMail, some posted here). Good show! Secondly, as I have not yet bought my KLR (but am convinced it's the only way to go unless my old '76' XT500 magically appeared at my front door after 23 years absence), I'd like to know if there are any members living in the El Paso, Texas area. Might be nice to get together for a beer and swap some stories. Thirdly (and this is directed at everyone), it's been a while since I've ridden so what do you think about the MSF course or others of the same type? Any recommendations? Also looking for recommendations concerning riding apparel (98% street/highway, 2% trail). That's it for now. Again, many thanks to all who post. Knowledge is power...and the only stupid question is the one you -don't- ask. Barry

Kurt Simpson

Post by Kurt Simpson » Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:47 am

Thirdly (and this is directed at everyone), it's been a while since I've ridden so what do you think about the MSF course or others of the same type? Any recommendations? Also looking for recommendations concerning riding apparel (98% street/highway, 2% trail). That's it for now. Again, many thanks to all who post. Knowledge is power...and the only stupid question is the one you -don't- ask. Barry _______ Barry, I've never heard anyone say the MSF course is not the best idea around. Many experienced riders take it every year or two as a refresher. Stats show (lies I know) that in most accidents the rider is paralyzed and does nothing to avoid the accident by effective front braking, counter-steering, etc... As for clothing, the list has been very pleased with Aerostich, Motorport, and First Gear stuff, less so with Joe Rocket...although the Joe Rocket Phoenix series seems to be the rage right now on other lists for those who ride in hot weather. I just bought Dan Graham's Brosh Tech jacket and consider it very viable offroad and when I've decided not to wear much protection onroad but I can't recommend it. All of us just suffer in hot weather...I remember stopping in Beatie (sp) Nevada while touring Death Valley. I was dressed in my Aerostich Darien...a father with three small kids and a dirt bike in the back of his pickup laughed at me and pointed to his kids saying, "he's going snowmobiling"...he who laughs last lasts... Kurt

Fred or Delilah Ogden

Post by Fred or Delilah Ogden » Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:26 pm

Barry, Welcome back to the world of enduro, uh, I mean dual sport. I too am a returning motorcycle rider. After an absence of 26 year absence, I am back and glad to be here. Used to ride a '72 Honda XL 250 way back when. (May it rest in peace. It too was righteous machine). I took the MSF course last fall and it was a help. In Texas, you won't have to take the riding part of the driver's exam if you pass the course; it'll also get you ready for the written part of the exam. I'd recommend it to anyone. I chose the KLR 650 even though I live in an urban area (Dallas - Fort Worth). So far, its been a great choice. I occasionally commute to my job in downtown Dallas. I've also ridden it to the Ouachita mountains in Western Arkansas. It did great on that trip. The bike held its own on the interstate and on logging roads, excelled on dirt roads and 2-lane highways and was a blast on the curvy roads through the mountains, paved or dirt. The Harley crowd looked cool out on the highway; but I could still pass 'em and then head down the dirt roads that were out of their league. The sport bikes would pass me on the straight-aways but I could give 'em a run for their money on the curves; they couldn't even begin to think about logging roads, creek crossings and the like. This machine may not be the fastest or prettiest but I believe it is the best all-round motorcycle money can buy. And it ain't terribly expensive. Get one, I think you'll be glad you did. You can always trade it in if its not your style. If its not, at least you haven't spent 10 grand or more on a billet barge. In your part of the state, I'm confident the KLR will serve well as a desert bike too. (I'm planning to ride mine to Ruidoso and Alamogordo, New Mexico to visit relatives soon. Maybe I'll get a chance to find out.) As far as riding apparel is concerned, I wear an HCJ CL 12 full coverage helmet that I do like, deer skin gloves, boots from Wal Mart, jeans or Wrangler hunting britches (The Wranglers have double fabric, some kind of nylon over denim, from the thigh down in front and double fabric from the knee down in the back). Leathers might be nice; but I think there might a problem with dehydration in our 100 deg. plus heat. Besides, I think a lot folks just wear the leather as a fashion statement. In which case you might be happier with a Harley or other cruiser. (I'm amazed at the number of riders I see wearing leather, but no helmet!) Sorry to ramble on, In short, welcome back; you won't go wrong with the MSF course; the KLR is a mighty marvelous machine; wear boots, helmet and gloves - the rest depends on your preferences and riding conditions; have fun! Fred Ogden A-15 "Old Scout" (3200 miles since January) Mesquite, Texas Message: 10 Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:17:55 -0000 From: "Barry Levine" Subject: El Paso, Texas & Clothing Rec's ...it's the only way to go unless my old '76' XT500 magically appeared at my front door after 23 years absence), ...it's been a while since I've ridden so what do you think about the MSF course or others of the same type? Any recommendations? Also looking for recommendations concerning riding apparel (98% street/highway, 2% trail).

Kris Christie

Post by Kris Christie » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:37 am

Fred, Good to see another Dallisite on the list! Kris KLR250 Desoto, TX (Dallas) -----Original Message----- From: Fred or Delilah Ogden [mailto:panola@...] Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2001 8:21 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com; barryjaylevine@... Subject: [DSN_klr650] El Paso, Texas & Clothing Rec's Barry, Welcome back to the world of enduro, uh, I mean dual sport. I too am a returning motorcycle rider. After an absence of 26 year absence, I am back and glad to be here. Used to ride a '72 Honda XL 250 way back when. (May it rest in peace. It too was righteous machine). I took the MSF course last fall and it was a help. In Texas, you won't have to take the riding part of the driver's exam if you pass the course; it'll also get you ready for the written part of the exam. I'd recommend it to anyone. I chose the KLR 650 even though I live in an urban area (Dallas - Fort Worth). So far, its been a great choice. I occasionally commute to my job in downtown Dallas. I've also ridden it to the Ouachita mountains in Western Arkansas. It did great on that trip. The bike held its own on the interstate and on logging roads, excelled on dirt roads and 2-lane highways and was a blast on the curvy roads through the mountains, paved or dirt. The Harley crowd looked cool out on the highway; but I could still pass 'em and then head down the dirt roads that were out of their league. The sport bikes would pass me on the straight-aways but I could give 'em a run for their money on the curves; they couldn't even begin to think about logging roads, creek crossings and the like. This machine may not be the fastest or prettiest but I believe it is the best all-round motorcycle money can buy. And it ain't terribly expensive. Get one, I think you'll be glad you did. You can always trade it in if its not your style. If its not, at least you haven't spent 10 grand or more on a billet barge. In your part of the state, I'm confident the KLR will serve well as a desert bike too. (I'm planning to ride mine to Ruidoso and Alamogordo, New Mexico to visit relatives soon. Maybe I'll get a chance to find out.) As far as riding apparel is concerned, I wear an HCJ CL 12 full coverage helmet that I do like, deer skin gloves, boots from Wal Mart, jeans or Wrangler hunting britches (The Wranglers have double fabric, some kind of nylon over denim, from the thigh down in front and double fabric from the knee down in the back). Leathers might be nice; but I think there might a problem with dehydration in our 100 deg. plus heat. Besides, I think a lot folks just wear the leather as a fashion statement. In which case you might be happier with a Harley or other cruiser. (I'm amazed at the number of riders I see wearing leather, but no helmet!) Sorry to ramble on, In short, welcome back; you won't go wrong with the MSF course; the KLR is a mighty marvelous machine; wear boots, helmet and gloves - the rest depends on your preferences and riding conditions; have fun! Fred Ogden A-15 "Old Scout" (3200 miles since January) Mesquite, Texas Message: 10 Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:17:55 -0000 From: "Barry Levine" Subject: El Paso, Texas & Clothing Rec's ...it's the only way to go unless my old '76' XT500 magically appeared at my front door after 23 years absence), ...it's been a while since I've ridden so what do you think about the MSF course or others of the same type? Any recommendations? Also looking for recommendations concerning riding apparel (98% street/highway, 2% trail). Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: http://www.dualsportnews.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

VAJJ4Y2M007@webtv.net

digest number 1454

Post by VAJJ4Y2M007@webtv.net » Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:08 pm

Hey KLRlist can someone point me in the direction for getting a used left hand control housing. I need the rear housing for the hi & low switch and the choke controls Thank you. Jav.