dsn project bike

DSN_KLR650
Ric Merry

dual star center stand

Post by Ric Merry » Tue Aug 22, 2000 4:46 pm

After working on my new used KLR last night I decided that the price for the Dual Star center stand wasn't so bad after all. Seeing how they are just down the road thought I'd call them today and get it out on today's UPS. They are on ~3 week backorder, very popular unit. If ya want one soon better put your order in now. Ric Merry 93 KLR 97 Concours IBA, AMA, GTOC, COG, KOC ?

rkaub@binghamton.edu

dual star center stand

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Mon Nov 20, 2000 1:29 pm

I put the bike away for the winter yesterday. The first thing I do is change the oil and the centerstand is just great for this. I have a shortened centerstand on a lowered bike and it has worked great so far. However, the last two times I used the centerstand I noticed that the bike was dragging the rear tire on the ground where there was usually about an inch of clearance between the ground and tire. So, while changing the oil yesterday, I examined the centerstand closely to see if I could see anything broken or different that would let the bike set lower on the stand than it did when new. Nothing is broken. I did discover that the two legs had worn slight depressions in the stand frame where they contact the frame when the bike is up on the stand. While these depressions are slight, their location allows the stand feet to swing farther forward than they should, effectively lowering the bike. There is no easy fix for this that I could see during this casual examination. Thanks. Bob Kaub

rkaub@binghamton.edu

dual star center stand

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Mon Nov 20, 2000 3:22 pm

At 01:19 PM 11/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>on 11/20/00 12:29 PM, rkaub@... at rkaub@... wrote: > > > I put the bike away for the winter yesterday. > > The first thing I do is change the oil and the centerstand is just great > > for this. > > I have a shortened centerstand on a lowered bike and it has worked great so > > far. > > However, the last two times I used the centerstand I noticed that the bike > > was dragging the rear tire on the ground where there was usually about an > > inch of clearance between the ground and tire. > > So, while changing the oil yesterday, I examined the centerstand closely to > > see if I could see anything broken or different that would let the bike set > > lower on the stand than it did when new. > > Nothing is broken. I did discover that the two legs had worn slight > > depressions in the stand frame where they contact the frame when the bike > > is up on the stand. While these depressions are slight, their location > > allows the stand feet to swing farther forward than they should, > > effectively lowering the bike. > > There is no easy fix for this that I could see during this casual > examination. > > Thanks. > > Bob Kaub > > >What centerstand do you have?
Dennis: Rear the third sentence above. Thanks. Bob Kaub

Steve Anderson

dual star center stand

Post by Steve Anderson » Mon Nov 20, 2000 4:12 pm

Bob, It feels good not be alone anymore, but... I am sorry to hear that you have had exactly what happened to me. Except it not only happened within a few weeks of getting the stand, but then the replacement unit, which I also had to return because the pin slid partly out while riding after a week or so, did the same thing within a few days of receiving it after the pin got welded in. Once it starts cocking forward it will get worse quickly. I asked the Dual Star folks what was up, and if they examined the two returned units, but they are busier with other stuff, and never bothered to figure out what went wrong, or why. Or they didn't let me know in on it if they did; and I asked. They did send me other parts for most of the credit for the unit, plus most of my shipping charges. If you do end up sending it back, please see if you can find out if they have any latest theory as to what's up with us; you're the only other I've heard have the problem. At this point, I have completely given up on the Dual Star stand, and haven't found any other worthy units yet. Good Luck, Steve (centerstandless) Anderson
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, rkaub@b... wrote: > I put the bike away for the winter yesterday. > The first thing I do is change the oil and the centerstand is just great > for this. > I have a shortened centerstand on a lowered bike and it has worked great so > far. > However, the last two times I used the centerstand I noticed that the bike > was dragging the rear tire on the ground where there was usually about an > inch of clearance between the ground and tire. > So, while changing the oil yesterday, I examined the centerstand closely to > see if I could see anything broken or different that would let the bike set > lower on the stand than it did when new. > Nothing is broken. I did discover that the two legs had worn slight > depressions in the stand frame where they contact the frame when the bike > is up on the stand. While these depressions are slight, their location > allows the stand feet to swing farther forward than they should, > effectively lowering the bike. > There is no easy fix for this that I could see during this casual examination. > Thanks. > Bob Kaub

Dreas Nielsen

dual star center stand

Post by Dreas Nielsen » Mon Nov 20, 2000 9:30 pm

> It feels good not be alone anymore, but...
> ... you're the only > other I've heard have the problem.
Well, here's another. My Dual Star stand, which is also a replacement due to the same problem with the original, also now rocks too far forward and lets both wheels touch the ground. I'm living with it for now, though. Off road, there's always some uneven bit that you can use to set the stand up on; in my garage I use a length of 1" x 4". Dreas

jirvine@nmsu.edu

dual star center stand

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Mon Nov 20, 2000 9:40 pm

> > >Well, here's another. My Dual Star stand, which is also a replacement due >to the same problem with the original, also now rocks too far forward and >lets both wheels touch the ground. I'm living with it for now, though. Off >road, there's always some uneven bit that you can use to set the stand up >on; in my garage I use a length of 1" x 4". > >Dreas
Dang I'm happy I didn't fork out the high price they want for these things. Sounds like they look good and the theory is good but that the engineering is lacking. JI 00 KLR 97 XX 75 CB400F (for sale!) looking for a 250 DS Forecast for tomorrows commute - 23 - brrrr

rkaub@binghamton.edu

dual star center stand

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Tue Nov 21, 2000 7:36 am

At 06:19 PM 11/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>on 11/20/00 2:22 PM, rkaub@... at rkaub@... wrote: > > > At 01:19 PM 11/20/00 -0700, you wrote: > >> on 11/20/00 12:29 PM, rkaub@... at rkaub@... wrote: > >> > >>> I put the bike away for the winter yesterday. > >>> The first thing I do is change the oil and the centerstand is just great > >>> for this. > >>> I have a shortened centerstand on a lowered bike and it has worked > great so > >>> far. >clip > > >> What centerstand do you have? > > > > Dennis: > > Rear the third sentence above. > > Thanks. > > >Well, Bob, I've read all the sentences again, and I still don't see a >manufacturer's name. Maybe I should have asked the name of the manufacturer >of your stand. I suppose that I could infer from your response that because >yours is lowered that only one manufacturer, of the at least three I seem to >recall hearing of, offers a lowered stand. From there, I suppose I could >deduce that you have a Dual Star, since they are the only ones that I know >of for sure that offer a lowered centerstand. If that's the case, your >response could been less than half as long had you just typed that. Anyway, >I don't have first hand knowledge of the problem you're experiencing, but it >sounds as though a protrusion (stop?) on the stand is peening your frame. If >so, then a stainless steel hose clamp around the frame might lessen the >problem. Modifying the profile of the stop to more nearly match that of the >frame may also help.
>>>> Hi Dennis: The Subject: line of the original post is "Dual Star Center Stand". The third sentence describes the stand I have and the bike it's mounted on. Next time I'll make sure the company name is in the body of the text as well. As for a fix, I'm sure that there is one given enough thought. My opinion is that the current problem is a material choice problem (the steel cross brace is a little too soft) rather than a design configuration problem. My guess is that a fix would require a configuration as well as a material change. Your idea is on the right track. The legs themselves are peening the cross bracket on the frame where they contact it. I might take the stand off this winter and fool around with it. My past experiences with Dual-Star have been favorable. However, I have been sending them copies of these posts to keep them informed. Just replacing the stand I have with a new one won't really solve the problem. Some sort of design change has to be made and implemented on new production. As for existing stands, maybe some form of modification kit would work. My personal approach is to noodle the problem around for awhile (my bike is put away for the winter) and come up with a mod for the existing stand. I can then kick it around with the list for other good ideas like yours. I'll probably end up modifying my stand myself. Of course, any ideas we have I'll share with Dual-Star. What they do is up to them. Thanks. Bob Kaub

Robert Morgan

dual star center stand

Post by Robert Morgan » Tue Nov 21, 2000 9:40 am

Bob be very careful with this. I have a Dual Star stand on my bike, standard height. I noticed my bike sagging overtime but had changed tires, lengthened the forks and changed front and rear springs, so I did not realize what was happening. The lower cross beam was welded improperly (poor penetration) where it was welded to the pieces that attach to the foot pegs on the bike, it would flex there, like a torsion spring. This weld ultimately broke loose resulting in the weight of the bike slamming down on the top of my left foot as I leave the kick stand down when lifting on to the center stand. 400 LB hammer blow delivered by way of the kickstand foot. Mike at Dual Star replaced the stand (standard waiting period) but 8 months later my foot is still not right. I wish I had gotten x rays, probably too late now. So check the welds carefully. Morgan
----- Original Message ----- From: To: dsn_klr650@egroups.com> Cc: Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 11:29 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Dual Star Center Stand > I put the bike away for the winter yesterday. > The first thing I do is change the oil and the centerstand is just great > for this. > I have a shortened centerstand on a lowered bike and it has worked great so > far. > However, the last two times I used the centerstand I noticed that the bike > was dragging the rear tire on the ground where there was usually about an > inch of clearance between the ground and tire. > So, while changing the oil yesterday, I examined the centerstand closely to > see if I could see anything broken or different that would let the bike set > lower on the stand than it did when new. > Nothing is broken. I did discover that the two legs had worn slight > depressions in the stand frame where they contact the frame when the bike > is up on the stand. While these depressions are slight, their location > allows the stand feet to swing farther forward than they should, > effectively lowering the bike. > There is no easy fix for this that I could see during this casual examination. > Thanks. > Bob Kaub > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

rkaub@binghamton.edu

dual star center stand

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:17 am

At 07:37 AM 11/21/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Bob be very careful with this. I have a Dual Star stand on my bike, >standard height. I noticed my bike sagging overtime but had changed tires, >lengthened the forks and changed front and rear springs, so I did not >realize what was happening. The lower cross beam was welded improperly >(poor penetration) where it was welded to the pieces that attach to the foot >pegs on the bike, it would flex there, like a torsion spring. This weld >ultimately broke loose resulting in the weight of the bike slamming down on >the top of my left foot as I leave the kick stand down when lifting on to >the center stand. 400 LB hammer blow delivered by way of the kickstand >foot. Mike at Dual Star replaced the stand (standard waiting period) but 8 >months later my foot is still not right. I wish I had gotten x rays, >probably too late now. So check the welds carefully. >>>>
Morgan: Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look at that area carefully when I get the stand off the bike. Sorry about your foot. Thanks. Bob Kaub

Jim & Shannon Morehead

dual star center stand

Post by Jim & Shannon Morehead » Tue Nov 21, 2000 7:50 pm

Hi Dreas, I thought that problem was just with my stand. My Dual Star stand seems to rock too far forward also and it allows both wheels to thouch the ground. I must admit though, I only noticed the problem after I replaced my rear OEM tire with a Conti TKC-80. I thought the tire was just a little taller. Have you talked to D-S about this problem? Jim
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dreas Nielsen" To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 9:35 PM Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: Dual Star Center Stand > > It feels good not be alone anymore, but... > > > ... you're the only > > other I've heard have the problem. > > Well, here's another. My Dual Star stand, which is also a replacement due > to the same problem with the original, also now rocks too far forward and > lets both wheels touch the ground. I'm living with it for now, though. Off > road, there's always some uneven bit that you can use to set the stand up > on; in my garage I use a length of 1" x 4". > > Dreas > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >