side-stand pads nklr

DSN_KLR650
G. Meyer

nklr: i am stupid, and my bike is heavy . . . dr400s?

Post by G. Meyer » Mon May 14, 2001 6:38 pm

Geoff, I feel your pain. I too found myself at an off road vehicle park, Liberty Lake- WA, last year and I was fortunate enough to be able to turn around near the top of the crest of a hairy, heavy rutted, sharp rock infested, nasty & steep single track. I hate to think how I would of faired on the sections of the trail I couldn't see far below of what I could. After much slipping of the clutch, unavoidable spinning of the rear tire, muttering and profuse sweating I was glad to be back on the tame part of the park. Might of been fun on my old XR200 or TT350 or maybe a new DR400S??? The DR400S is looking really appealing for riding the nasty stuff. It's getting easier to avoid the nasty stuff since I no longer have health insurance. A moderately worn stock back tire helps a bit to. I've been thinking of switching to Kenda 270's front and back or maybe the Continental TKC80's. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to resist challenging trails. I've been thinking that Avon Slipsters 24's or IRC GP-110's will keep me trail sane and accountable to good reason. DR400S? Please somebody talk me out of it. The bike has gotta have flaws? I'm feeling weak & tempted!!! Glen A13 DR400S ????? Post Falls, Idaho USA
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 12:32 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR: I am stupid, and my bike is heavy [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ED

Post by ED » Mon May 14, 2001 6:53 pm

Glenn, you sound dangerously close to being a closet DRZ-eesta. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take one for a ride. It's not worth it man, believe me, it just not worth it. Ed -gotta KLX R, jones-en for a DRZ- Boyd
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "G. Meyer" wrote: > Geoff, > > I feel your pain. > > I too found myself at an off road vehicle park, Liberty Lake- WA, last year > and I was fortunate enough to be able to turn around near the top of the > crest of a hairy, heavy rutted, sharp rock infested, nasty & steep single > track. I hate to think how I would of faired on the sections of the trail I > couldn't see far below of what I could. After much slipping of the clutch, > unavoidable spinning of the rear tire, muttering and profuse sweating I was > glad to be back on the tame part of the park. > > Might of been fun on my old XR200 or TT350 or maybe a new DR400S??? The > DR400S is looking really appealing for riding the nasty stuff. > > It's getting easier to avoid the nasty stuff since I no longer have health > insurance. A moderately worn stock back tire helps a bit to. I've been > thinking of switching to Kenda 270's front and back or maybe the Continental > TKC80's. I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to resist challenging > trails. I've been thinking that Avon Slipsters 24's or IRC GP- 110's will > keep me trail sane and accountable to good reason. > > DR400S? Please somebody talk me out of it. The bike has gotta have flaws? > I'm feeling weak & tempted!!! > > Glen > A13 > DR400S ????? > Post Falls, Idaho USA > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: > Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 12:32 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR: I am stupid, and my bike is heavy > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

G. Meyer

Post by G. Meyer » Mon May 14, 2001 8:35 pm

Ed, Sounds like you've taken a test drive??? Did you ride the "S" model, "E" or the kick start model? I went to the Suzuki dealer last week and to my relief they were out of the street legal DRZ400S. I'm safe for another few weeks. This is one stock street legal dual sport that can probably MOTOCROSS, however I'm a bit disappointed that the suspension isn't as fully adjustable as the "E" or the kick start model. :( Anybody out there have any riding impressions on the DRZ400 "S" or Dirt Only models??? Good at . . . Bad at . . . Glen A13 "safe for now"
> Glenn, you sound dangerously close to being a closet DRZ-eesta. DO > NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take one for a ride. It's not worth it man, > believe me, it just not worth it. > > Ed -gotta KLX R, jones-en for a DRZ- Boyd >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

ED

Post by ED » Mon May 14, 2001 10:14 pm

Yes I rode the S model for a couple of hours last fall on some nice loamy 2 track. Nothing too technical, but the bike was a blast, especially after getting off my KLX. It felt a lot lighter then I thought it would, had nice power, could lift the front end in 1st or 2nd no problem. I didn't notice any problems with the suspension, but then again I'm not racer. But my buddy is a pretty serious rider, and he loves it. The bike did have MT21 DOT legal knobbies on it, so I'm sure that helped. This same buddy also had a 2000 KTM 380 E/XC, pretty much a full on 2 stroke dirt bike, I rode that on the same day, the KTM is AWESOME, I felt like Joe Hero ripping around on it. But, the DRZ did well in comparison. I'd like to buy the DRZ S model. BTW, his buddy across the street bought the DRZ S model too, and I know another guy out here that has one, same thing, they love 'em. Didn't ride it on the road, so can't comment there. All my buddies that have them don't really use them on the road, except to go from trail to trail. They have regular street bikes for that kind of stuff (don't ask about their street bikes). I don't imagine the DRZ could compete with the KLR on the highway, especially with that skinny as hell seat.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "G. Meyer" wrote: > Ed, > > Sounds like you've taken a test drive??? Did you ride the "S" model, "E" or > the kick start model? > > I went to the Suzuki dealer last week and to my relief they were out of the > street legal DRZ400S. I'm safe for another few weeks. > > This is one stock street legal dual sport that can probably MOTOCROSS, > however I'm a bit disappointed that the suspension isn't as fully adjustable > as the "E" or the kick start model. :( > > Anybody out there have any riding impressions on the DRZ400 "S" or Dirt Only > models??? > > Good at . . . > Bad at . . . > > Glen > A13 "safe for now" > > > > Glenn, you sound dangerously close to being a closet DRZ-eesta. DO > > NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take one for a ride. It's not worth it man, > > believe me, it just not worth it. > > > > Ed -gotta KLX R, jones-en for a DRZ- Boyd > > > > > > _________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Russell Scott

Post by Russell Scott » Mon May 14, 2001 10:43 pm

I was riding my XR a little more than a week ago when a guy showed up on a totally tricked out DRZS. This dude was flying around on the single track trails. He left me in the dust. No doubt he could have rode it on a motocross track with no problem. Like any modern dirt bike, with the right mods, it will move well, although I think the DRZ is best for trail riding. He already has a Honda CRF 450R on pre-order. So apparently he wants something with a little more fire for the motocross track. 55 ponies at 11,500 rpms should do it. And its a thumper! Russel'r
----- Original Message ----- From: G. Meyer To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 6:35 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR: I am stupid, and my bike is heavy . . . DR400S? > Ed, > > Sounds like you've taken a test drive??? Did you ride the "S" model, "E" or > the kick start model? > > I went to the Suzuki dealer last week and to my relief they were out of the > street legal DRZ400S. I'm safe for another few weeks. > > This is one stock street legal dual sport that can probably MOTOCROSS, > however I'm a bit disappointed that the suspension isn't as fully adjustable > as the "E" or the kick start model. :( > > Anybody out there have any riding impressions on the DRZ400 "S" or Dirt Only > models??? > > Good at . . . > Bad at . . . > > Glen > A13 "safe for now" > > > > Glenn, you sound dangerously close to being a closet DRZ-eesta. DO > > NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take one for a ride. It's not worth it man, > > believe me, it just not worth it. > > > > Ed -gotta KLX R, jones-en for a DRZ- Boyd > > > > > > _________________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Tue May 15, 2001 9:39 am

Its got a big flaw, SUZUKI, You buy it as is, Mike In a message dated 5/14/01 6:44:25 PM EST, glen_edward@... writes: << DR400S? Please somebody talk me out of it. The bike has gotta have flaws? I'm feeling weak & tempt >>

Ron Hipkiss

Post by Ron Hipkiss » Tue May 15, 2001 10:45 am

"DR400S? Please somebody talk me out of it. The bike has gotta have flaws? I'm feeling weak & tempted!!!" It's a fun bike, especially the S model. However, I wouldn't be selling your KLR to get one. If you can manage, have both, they are really different animals. The Suzook isn't nearly as comfortable on the road as the KLR, and the range of the tank isn't as good as the KLR, either. But it sure does wheelie really nice, and stoppies are a gentle squeeze away. Cpt. Ron Sack-O-Tomato, CA

Greg Paul

side-stand pads nklr

Post by Greg Paul » Tue May 15, 2001 12:12 pm

I thought that was the "camo" version. That's what the tag on it says. Greg in Dallas
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., k650dsn@a... wrote: > In a message dated Tue, 15 May 2001 11:47:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Bogdan Swider writes: > > Kinda like the string some attach for when they need to go number > one. Makes it much easier to find, I'm told, when wearing long johns and > jeans topped off by an Aerostich. Bogdan > >> > > Maybe this is the real reason for the Hi-Viz Aerostich... to hide stains for those who don't have strings.... > > Gino