klr stickers

DSN_KLR650
Lew Waterman

dual star centerstand

Post by Lew Waterman » Thu Sep 28, 2000 10:44 pm

List: I read the info. about Dual Star's centerstand in the archives from late 1998. I would like to hear more current info. regarding the usefulness of the centerstand, deploying it and getting a fully loaded for adventure touring bike up on it alone. I am in hopes that it will give more stability to the loaded bike than the side stand, particularly on soft ground. I have read a number of stories where loaded bikes with side stands kept falling over. It seems to me that welding bigger feet on the legs would be beneficial too. The centerstand should be a help with flat tires (don't know enough about donuts yet)and chain lubing as well. Feedback please. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

Stuart Heaslet

dual star centerstand

Post by Stuart Heaslet » Thu Sep 28, 2000 11:45 pm

At 03:44 AM 9/29/00 +0000, Lew Waterman wrote:
>... I would like to hear more current info. regarding the >usefulness of the centerstand, deploying it and getting a fully >loaded for adventure touring bike up on it alone.
The centerstand is well worth the investment. It handles heavy loads, makes wheel, tire and other maintenance easier, and makes getting on and off the bike easier. I would stick with the standard height Dual Star unit - it's not difficult to raise a heavily-loaded bike on the stand. The centerstand puts a lot of stress on two fairly small welded areas of the KLR frame, so I've tried to be gentle when pulling the bike up on the stand. The situation is aggravated when (the bike is) loaded. If you go with an aftermarket rear shock like Works, it's possible that your rear wheel will still drag the ground lightly (mine does) because the aftermarket shock pushes the swingarm farther down than the stock shock. (This also means that you must be extra careful setting chain slack for the altered - read greater- swing arc of the swing arm if you have an aftermarket shock.) I wouldn't rely on the sidestand alone for touring. Stuart Stuart, Florida

Mark Wilson

dual star centerstand

Post by Mark Wilson » Fri Sep 29, 2000 3:25 am

Hi Lew, I have the DS centerstand. Let me tell ya, it can be a real pain in the back getting the bike up on it, especially when fully loaded down with gear. Let me also say that it has gotten alot easier with some different tires. Let me expain- I had a Kenda rear tire on my bike most of this year, and now I have a Avon gripster. The gripster has a taller profile, and makes putting the bike on the centerstand alot easier. I dont have to lift as far. With the Kenda, it was quite a hoist to get the bike up. My Mac-D rack also makes an excelent grab handle, and your new rack should be a good grab handle too. What I'm trying to say is, different tires could affect the ease of getting the bike on the centerstand. It dose for me. Mark Wilson http://www.geocities.com/motormark64/ http://www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/ KLR-650 A-13 "warthogg" XR250R "superfly" Stone Mountain, Ga ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----- Original Message ----- From: Lew Waterman > List: I read the info. about Dual Star's centerstand in the archives > from late 1998. I would like to hear more current info. regarding the > usefulness of the centerstand, deploying it and getting a fully > loaded for adventure touring bike up on it alone. I am in hopes that > it will give more stability to the loaded bike than the side stand, > particularly on soft ground. I have read a number of stories where > loaded bikes with side stands kept falling over. It seems to me that > welding bigger feet on the legs would be beneficial too. The > centerstand should be a help with flat tires (don't know enough about > donuts yet)and chain lubing as well. Feedback please. > > Lew Waterman > Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

Leon Droby

dual star centerstand

Post by Leon Droby » Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:19 am

FYI regarding the center stands, I ordered one from DS about a month ago. They said that they would ship towards the end of this month. I called yesterday and they said that due to some unforeseen circumstances, I wouldn't get the stand till sometime in November. I think the stand is a good idea even if you just use it to work on the bike. I'm keeping my order with them; I didn't get the feeling I was being jerked around. I think they are really having some problems. Leon Droby KLR650 - A14
> -----Original Message----- > From: Lew Waterman [mailto:punkynsquirt@...] > Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 11:44 PM > To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Dual Star centerstand > > > List: I read the info. about Dual Star's centerstand in the archives > from late 1998. I would like to hear more current info. regarding the > usefulness of the centerstand, deploying it and getting a fully > loaded for adventure touring bike up on it alone. I am in hopes that > it will give more stability to the loaded bike than the side stand, > particularly on soft ground. I have read a number of stories where > loaded bikes with side stands kept falling over. It seems to me that > welding bigger feet on the legs would be beneficial too. The > centerstand should be a help with flat tires (don't know enough about > donuts yet)and chain lubing as well. Feedback please. > > Lew Waterman > Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

punkynsquirt@cs.com

dual star centerstand

Post by punkynsquirt@cs.com » Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:33 am

Hey Stuart: You are in my neighborhood. I live in Greenacres on the Southwest border of West Palm Beach. Maybe we'll meet one of these days and talk KLR and adventure touring stuff. Thanks for the feedback on Dual Star's centerstand. It makes me feel more confident about buying one. Later. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

punkynsquirt@cs.com

dual star centerstand

Post by punkynsquirt@cs.com » Fri Sep 29, 2000 7:39 am

Mark: Your comment about the tire height is welcome info. Thank you very much. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

rkaub@binghamton.edu

dual star centerstand

Post by rkaub@binghamton.edu » Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am

At 03:44 AM 9/29/00 -0000, you wrote:
>List: I read the info. about Dual Star's centerstand in the archives >from late 1998. I would like to hear more current info. regarding the >usefulness of the centerstand, >>>>
Lew: I have the shortened centerstand on my "lowered" '98. Works great but it is an effort for me to deploy it. I always take off the Givi bags to make the bike as light as possible. It is one of the real "must-have" accessories for the KLR. Also, I have had no trouble receiving, mounting or using the stand. There are several methods to deploy it and it up to the individual to find the best one for them. Thanks. Bob Kaub

Scherer, Michael

dual star centerstand

Post by Scherer, Michael » Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:09 am

It works well for me. You get to keep the side stand too. It took about ten uses before I could lift the bike easily onto the stand but now it is no problem. I grab the crossbar and the left passenger peg bracket, hold the stand down with the inside of my right boot and heave slightly. I have actualy put the bike up wearing sandals (don't try this at home). Biker Mike -----Original Message----- From: Lew Waterman [mailto:punkynsquirt@...] Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 11:44 PM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Dual Star centerstand List: I read the info. about Dual Star's centerstand in the archives from late 1998. I would like to hear more current info. regarding the usefulness of the centerstand, deploying it and getting a fully loaded for adventure touring bike up on it alone. I am in hopes that it will give more stability to the loaded bike than the side stand, particularly on soft ground. I have read a number of stories where loaded bikes with side stands kept falling over. It seems to me that welding bigger feet on the legs would be beneficial too. The centerstand should be a help with flat tires (don't know enough about donuts yet)and chain lubing as well. Feedback please. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News)

dual star centerstand

Post by Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News) » Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:10 am

> I think the stand is a good idea even if you just use it to work on the > bike. I'm keeping my order with them; I didn't get the feeling I was being > jerked around. I think they are really having some problems. > > Leon Droby > KLR650 - A14
Leon, I think you have the right attitude. The list has kicked this around several times and the truth is nothing we say or do will have an impact on Dual Star's, Happy Trails, Mac-D's...approach to bringing products to market. I've come to know Mike, Tim, and Arne very well and the delays are almost always related to their commitment to bringing only as perfect a product as possible and wrestling with cash flows and investment. No one should complain, Tim had my Quota in his shop for over two months doing R & D work. I couldn't be happier...because there are no other companies willing to outfit our KLR's, DR's and Quotas...thanks to these guys we have a choice....this has always been my take... Kurt

Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News)

dual star centerstand

Post by Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News) » Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:15 am

> It works well for me. You get to keep the side stand too. It took about ten > uses before I could lift the bike easily onto the stand but now it is no > problem. I grab the crossbar and the left passenger peg bracket, hold the > stand down with the inside of my right boot and heave slightly. I have > actualy put the bike up wearing sandals (don't try this at home). > > Biker Mike
I agree with Biker Mike's comments and also the comments on tire size. I also agree with Fireball's comments on touring with the centersand equipped KLR. When I was exhausted I'd just look around and ask someone to give me a hand. People love to help. For me the trick was to stabilize the bike and get to the rear. I actually get way back and use my left foot to plant the centerstand and then lift on some edge of the siderack.... Kurt