paper vs reuseable metal screen oil filters

DSN_KLR650
ct_bob@juno.com

what mods? / which bike

Post by ct_bob@juno.com » Mon Apr 30, 2001 7:06 am

OK, I finally sold a bike and now have a gap in the garage. Am looking for a different kind of bike and a different kind of touring. I have a Tour bike, a sport bike and a standard. I have plans to go to Mexico this fall/winter for a month, leaving from New Hampshire USA. There will be a fair amount of Highway riding but I also really want to get into the back woods, probably copper canyon and other out of the way places. I don't have a lot of money, have had bad luck with used bikes so I need some advice. 1. Will the KLR handle the highways for extended hours? I'm thinking my usual 80 MPH for 15-20 hours at a clip. (yes, my worn out body can handle this ). 2. What modifications should I do? I want hard bags, was thinking of using 20mm ammo cans, steel and less than $10 each. Any good center stands available. Does the kick start kit work well? How much? What kind of tires highway. What kind dirt. Etc, etc, etc. Thanks in advance CT Bob CT_Bob@...

les123@home.com

paper vs reuseable metal screen oil filters

Post by les123@home.com » Mon Apr 30, 2001 9:07 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Steve Green" wrote:
> Many times the answers to these questions are right under our noses. > Just cut the things open and see how they are built. Alot can be > discerned through this process. Try a few brands and when done > dissect them. > > Common Sense, Logic and a keen eye go far. > > Steve
That very approach was taken fairly recently by Motocycle Consumer News. The took apart about 8 or 10 different brand names of paper filters. Can't remember the details. Dave Leslie A14 Richmond