digest number 1174

DSN_KLR650
Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com

nklr: garmen e-trex legend

Post by Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:29 pm

Sunday night I picked up my Garmen E-Trex Legend. It is everything I had expected and then some. What I want to know is, Who has the R&R CD and is it worth getting? (I clocked myself @ 100MPH this morning on the way to work) Of course when I did it I was on a test track AKA I15) Dale

tcgrigg@earthlink.net

Post by tcgrigg@earthlink.net » Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:45 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote:
> Sunday night I picked up my Garmen E-Trex Legend. It is everything
I
> had expected and then some. What I want to know is, Who has the R&R > CD and is it worth getting? > > (I clocked myself @ 100MPH this morning on the way to work) Of
course
> when I did it I was on a test track AKA I15) > > Dale
I just bought the Garmin eMap a week ago and the Roads and Recreation cd has a boatload more detail than the eMap base map. The R and R is indespensible for negotiating the maze of logging roads where I live (Portland, Or). Its also much easier to plan routes, etc. on your pc using the cd, then copy to GPS. I got my cd at Cycoactive.com, delivered in 2 days. If you look at their site, check out the OBDR article. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden their KLR on that route and how it performed.

S2Mumford@aol.com

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:19 pm

Does the R&R CD download road maps to the eMap screen? I am using DeLorme Street Atlas to plan routes and when I d/l them to the eMap I only get waypoints and main streets, not a detailed street map of the area surrounding my route (which would be nice)... The eMap basemap has only the main arteries, if the R&R CD gives you a more complete map on the screen, I need to get it! Thanks CA Stu PS Dale did your speedo say 125 or something ? =) I-- In DSN_klr650@y..., tcgrigg@e... wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > Sunday night I picked up my Garmen E-Trex Legend. It is
everything
> I > > had expected and then some. What I want to know is, Who has the
R&R
> > CD and is it worth getting? > > > > (I clocked myself @ 100MPH this morning on the way to work) Of > course > > when I did it I was on a test track AKA I15) > > > > Dale > > I just bought the Garmin eMap a week ago and the Roads and
Recreation
> cd has a boatload more detail than the eMap base map. The R and R
is
> indespensible for negotiating the maze of logging roads where I
live
> (Portland, Or). > > Its also much easier to plan routes, etc. on your pc using the cd, > then copy to GPS. I got my cd at Cycoactive.com, delivered in 2
days.
> If you look at their site, check out the OBDR article. I'm
wondering
> if anyone has ridden their KLR on that route and how it performed.

standerson@home.com

Post by standerson@home.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:29 pm

R&R is like MetroGuide (MG) lite. R&R has almost the identical maps as MG, but no points of interest or addresses. MG is more up to date, and much more accurate though. The regions in R&R are much smaller, and due to the lack of the points of interest and address data takes up a lot less room. Typical memory size for a R&R region is about 100KB to 400KB. MG regions OTOH are usually 6 or 7MB. You can run both at the same time. The MG boundaries all seem to be shared in R&R and so R&R makes good "filler" for whatever memory you have left over after MG. They are both WAY better than the eMap basemap. You will need a memory cartridge to load either though. MG is the "standard" for the eMap because of the extra points of interest and address data... Steve A. in AZ
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., S2Mumford@a... wrote: > Does the R&R CD download road maps to the eMap screen? > I am using DeLorme Street Atlas to plan routes and when I d/l them to > the eMap I only get waypoints and main streets, not a detailed street > map of the area surrounding my route (which would be nice)... > > The eMap basemap has only the main arteries, if the R&R CD gives you > a more complete map on the screen, I need to get it! > > Thanks > CA Stu > > PS Dale did your speedo say 125 or something ? =) > > > I-- In DSN_klr650@y..., tcgrigg@e... wrote: > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > > Sunday night I picked up my Garmen E-Trex Legend. It is > everything > > I > > > had expected and then some. What I want to know is, Who has the > R&R > > > CD and is it worth getting? > > > > > > (I clocked myself @ 100MPH this morning on the way to work) Of > > course > > > when I did it I was on a test track AKA I15) > > > > > > Dale > > > > I just bought the Garmin eMap a week ago and the Roads and > Recreation > > cd has a boatload more detail than the eMap base map. The R and R > is > > indespensible for negotiating the maze of logging roads where I > live > > (Portland, Or). > > > > Its also much easier to plan routes, etc. on your pc using the cd, > > then copy to GPS. I got my cd at Cycoactive.com, delivered in 2 > days. > > If you look at their site, check out the OBDR article. I'm > wondering > > if anyone has ridden their KLR on that route and how it performed.

Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com

Post by Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:37 pm

--Snip>
> They are both WAY better than the eMap basemap. You will need a > memory cartridge to load either though.
The Legend has 8 meg standard.. Will that do? Dale

tcgrigg@earthlink.net

Post by tcgrigg@earthlink.net » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:38 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., S2Mumford@a... wrote: I'm still getting acquainted with this GPS shyte, but this is what I've done with mine. R and R allows you to choose various maps (county by county) to highlight and download into your GPS memory card. If your planned route goes thru that county, it will include all the cd detail, of course you have to zoom in to see it. > Does the R&R CD download road maps to the eMap screen? > I am using DeLorme Street Atlas to plan routes and when I d/l them to > the eMap I only get waypoints and main streets, not a detailed street > map of the area surrounding my route (which would be nice)... > > The eMap basemap has only the main arteries, if the R&R CD gives you > a more complete map on the screen, I need to get it! > > Thanks > CA Stu > > PS Dale did your speedo say 125 or something ? =) > > > I-- In DSN_klr650@y..., tcgrigg@e... wrote: > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > > Sunday night I picked up my Garmen E-Trex Legend. It is > everything > > I > > > had expected and then some. What I want to know is, Who has the > R&R > > > CD and is it worth getting? > > > > > > (I clocked myself @ 100MPH this morning on the way to work) Of > > course > > > when I did it I was on a test track AKA I15) > > > > > > Dale > > > > I just bought the Garmin eMap a week ago and the Roads and > Recreation > > cd has a boatload more detail than the eMap base map. The R and R > is > > indespensible for negotiating the maze of logging roads where I > live > > (Portland, Or). > > > > Its also much easier to plan routes, etc. on your pc using the cd, > > then copy to GPS. I got my cd at Cycoactive.com, delivered in 2 > days. > > If you look at their site, check out the OBDR article. I'm > wondering > > if anyone has ridden their KLR on that route and how it performed.

standerson@home.com

Post by standerson@home.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:50 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote:
> --Snip> > > They are both WAY better than the eMap basemap. You will need a > > memory cartridge to load either though. > > The Legend has 8 meg standard.. Will that do? > > Dale
Yup. They picked 8MB because it is big enough to hold any of the MG regions. The eMap doesn't have any built in. Steve A. in AZ

S2Mumford@aol.com

Post by S2Mumford@aol.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:50 pm

My question is, does it add roads / trails to the screen? I planned a route in the middle of Death Valley (going 4 wheeling this weekend) and when I uploaded it, I see waypoints, but no trails connecting them! I would love to have all the trails and roads on the area visible, (just like a paper map does)whether or not I am going on them. Does the R&R CD do enable the eMap to do this? Thanks CA Stu
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., standerson@h... wrote: > R&R is like MetroGuide (MG) lite. R&R has almost the identical maps > as MG, but no points of interest or addresses. MG is more up to > date, and much more accurate though. The regions in R&R are much > smaller, and due to the lack of the points of interest and address > data takes up a lot less room. Typical memory size for a R&R region > is about 100KB to 400KB. MG regions OTOH are usually 6 or 7MB. > You can run both at the same time. The MG boundaries all seem to be > shared in R&R and so R&R makes good "filler" for whatever memory you > have left over after MG. > > They are both WAY better than the eMap basemap. You will need a > memory cartridge to load either though. MG is the "standard" for the > eMap because of the extra points of interest and address data... > > > Steve A. in AZ >

pudens@telepath.com

Post by pudens@telepath.com » Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:41 pm

I have been looking at buying a GPS. Sounds like the Garmen E-trex has everything I need. I need altitude and would like detailed maps of Mexico as well, something to show the back country roads as much as possible... Is this possible with the E-Trex?

Jonathon

digest number 1174

Post by Jonathon » Wed Apr 04, 2001 9:46 pm

Hey, Geoff, good luck with the new bike! When you get back, you might want to look at Arne Larsen's web site, www.mac-d.com. He welds up a mean rack, very strong, good design, good looking, perfect fit, and it has some useful characteristics. Wrap-around design stiffens the frame (and gives you something to grab onto if you want to pick up the rear end). It also holds your bag away from the muffler. Might not be enough to obviate the need for a heat shield, but it helps. -Spike
> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:40:57 -0000 > From: geoffluttrell@... > Subject: Luggage racks or backpack? > > Hello All, > > I am going to Oregon to pick up my new (94) KLR on Sat. I am having trouble > deciding what type of luggage to take, since it has to come back on the all > stock bike. I have a set of Chase-Harper saddlebags, but it seems that they > will hit the muffler, and I don't know where the mounting points would be on the > left side. I had a BMW with a rear rack that I could strap a backpack to, but > the rack on the KLR looks pretty small, but if you have enough straps, > anything's possible. I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject, as I am > sure one of you has used bags on a stock bike, or strapped a bag to > the back. And of course the forecast is for rain all weekend! > Thanks, > > Geoff