shopping for new bike

DSN_KLR650
Peter Alspach

brake pad wear

Post by Peter Alspach » Mon Mar 19, 2001 10:05 am

Hi, Last night I heard this nasty grating sound coming from the rear brake, only when I'd just finish coming to a stop (no sound when rear brake applied at speed). I checked this morning and it looks like the rear brake pad on the wheel side is pretty much toast, while the outer pad is fine. Is that a normal wear pattern? This is my first bike. Next question: is my rotor toast or just in need of a bit of polishing.re-grinding? Taking the bicycle today to avoid any further damage. Luckily it's quite nice... Peter Alspach _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

garagedoor79@hotmail.com

brake pad wear

Post by garagedoor79@hotmail.com » Mon Mar 19, 2001 2:19 pm

Not a normal wear pattern as per my bike. I just changed the original rear pads out last night and they were worn evenly on both pads. FWIW Karl
> I checked this morning and it looks like the rear brake pad on the > wheel side is pretty much toast, while the outer pad is fine. Is
that a
> normal wear pattern?

Ted Palmer

brake pad wear

Post by Ted Palmer » Tue Mar 20, 2001 7:54 am

Peter Alspach wrote: [...]
> I checked this morning and it looks like the rear brake pad on the > wheel side is pretty much toast, while the outer pad is fine. Is that a > normal wear pattern?
Not normal. This is a classic symptom of sticking caliper slide pins. Note that theoretically, a sticky caliper slide will wear the inside pad, whereas a totally stuck caliper slide will wear the outer (piston side) pad.
> This is my first bike. Next question: is my rotor toast > or just in need of a bit of polishing.re-grinding?
If the gouges are so deep that machining the disc flat would leave the disc below minimum spec thickness of 4.5mm, then you can consider the disc in need of replacement. Mister_T

Peter Alspach

brake pad wear

Post by Peter Alspach » Tue Mar 20, 2001 3:09 pm

What needs to be done to make it unsticky? If it's a fairly simple procedure I'd like to do it instead of them folks at $60/hr. BTW, I don't have the manuals (I know, I know) so if it's beyond a short description, I'll leave it to the local shop. Peter
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Palmer" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 6:51 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Brake pad wear > Peter Alspach wrote: > [...] > > I checked this morning and it looks like the rear brake pad on the > > wheel side is pretty much toast, while the outer pad is fine. Is that a > > normal wear pattern? > > Not normal. This is a classic symptom of sticking caliper > slide pins. > Note that theoretically, a sticky caliper slide will wear the > inside pad, whereas a totally stuck caliper slide will wear the > outer (piston side) pad. > > > This is my first bike. Next question: is my rotor toast > > or just in need of a bit of polishing.re-grinding? > > If the gouges are so deep that machining the disc flat would leave > the disc below minimum spec thickness of 4.5mm, then you can consider > the disc in need of replacement. > > Mister_T > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

Ted Palmer

brake pad wear

Post by Ted Palmer » Wed Mar 21, 2001 7:35 am

Peter Alspach wrote:
> What needs to be done to make it unsticky? If it's a fairly simple procedure > I'd like to do it instead of them folks at $60/hr. BTW, I don't have the > manuals (I know, I know) so if it's beyond a short description, I'll leave > it to the local shop.
I guess for about $60 you could buy a base manual. While the base manual doesn't show the 650 rear disc system, the 650 supplement manual refers to the base manual front caliper section for maintenance on the 650 rear caliper. There are 2 allen-headed bolts holding the caliper bracket to the web on the swingarm (18ft-lb torque for these), and that is all you need to remove to get the caliper off. The bolts hold a C-shaped plate on which there are the 2 pins on which the caliper slides. The pins have rubber boots that are supposed to keep dirt out of the sliding surfaces. The base manual specifies "PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil)" grease for the pins. I can't recall ever having seen anything on a shelf labelled as containing this stuff. Maybe this stuff gives "marine" greases their bluey colour, I dunno. The caliper has an anti-rattle spring that bears on the top of the pads. You have to be careful when replacing the pads that everything is in place. Anyone got anything to add? Mister_T

Fred Williams

brake pad wear

Post by Fred Williams » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:21 am

> The base manual specifies "PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil)" grease for the > pins. I can't recall ever having seen anything on a shelf labelled > as containing this stuff. Maybe this stuff gives "marine" greases > their bluey colour, I dunno.
I think they mean "High Temp".... Most "marine or water-resistant" grease will get fried in short order here.. Fred A15 Kawtchasaki

Bogdan Swider

brake pad wear

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:25 am

> > The base manual specifies "PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil)" grease for the > > pins. I can't recall ever having seen anything on a shelf labelled > > as containing this stuff. Maybe this stuff gives "marine" greases > > their bluey colour, I dunno. > > I think they mean "High Temp".... Most "marine or water-resistant" > grease will get fried in short order here.. > > Fred > A15 Kawtchasaki >
Just go to an auto parts store and ask for grease for brake caliper pins; costs a buck or two. I got mine at Napa. Bogdan

Ted Palmer

brake pad wear

Post by Ted Palmer » Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:08 am

Bogdan Swider wrote: [caliper pin grease]
> Just go to an auto parts store and ask for grease for brake caliper pins; > costs a buck or two. I got mine at Napa. Bogdan
I've got a tube of that kind of stuff sitting around. It seems to contain a combination of telfon, graphite and moly additives, so it seems to cover a lot of the lubricant bases. The manual for my 1984 Honda CBX750F specs silicone grease for its caliper slides, but try finding some silicone grease in your ordinary car bits store. IMO, just about any grease will do the job, wheel bearing grease, Never-Seez, whatever. Makes a change from discussing oils, eh? Mister_T

Dan Oaks

brake pad wear

Post by Dan Oaks » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:27 am

Silicon grease is quite commonly available from fishing tackle suppliers. Be careful where you apply Never-Seeze or other lubricants that contain metal derivitives. Under adverse conditions ( salt water, acid rain, dog piss) they can become involved in electrolysis with dissimilar metals resulting in a white crumbly form of metal salt concrete that will lock everything up permanently. -- bierdo Ted Palmer wrote:
> Bogdan Swider wrote: > [caliper pin grease] > > Just go to an auto parts store and ask for grease for brake caliper pins; > > costs a buck or two. I got mine at Napa. Bogdan > > I've got a tube of that kind of stuff sitting around. > It seems to contain a combination of telfon, graphite and moly > additives, so it seems to cover a lot of the lubricant bases. > The manual for my 1984 Honda CBX750F specs silicone grease for its > caliper slides, but try finding some silicone grease in your ordinary > car bits store. > IMO, just about any grease will do the job, wheel bearing grease, > Never-Seez, whatever. > Makes a change from discussing oils, eh? > > Mister_T > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Andrus Chesley

brake pad wear

Post by Andrus Chesley » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:45 am

A substance called NOLOCK is the best I've encountered for aluminum. As was said early, Neversieze and salt water conditions, etc. doesn't work very well. NOLOCK is an anti seize compound made for aluminum. In the Offshore environment I work in, Neversieze an aluminum screw type cover to it's box and in a year you have to break it apart to get in it. Andy Cajun Country KLR R11RA.< this may be in trouble if the Aprilia Pegaso 1000 makes it here in Oct.>