breakdown diagnosis (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Andrus Chesley

vents

Post by Andrus Chesley » Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:55 am

(The only drawback to the T-vent setup is positioning the vent tube properly. My concern with the under-the-seat location is that water could drain into the vent tube,) Jim, Very true. This installation point you mentioned ( below the white plastic connector ) is the precise point to put the tee. I ran the extra line along up under the seat and then turned the end down in a protected area. * I think perhaps in the air box could cause a vacuum? Would have to try it. * I have not layed the KLR down to see if and where the fuel would drain from the carb. Have to try that also. I was just assuming that it would be the same as the DR * Andy. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Andrus Chesley

vents

Post by Andrus Chesley » Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:58 am

(The only drawback to the T-vent setup is positioning the vent tube properly. My concern with the under-the-seat location is that water could drain into the vent tube,) Jim, Very true. This installation point you mentioned ( below the white plastic connector ) is the precise point to put the tee. I ran the extra line along up under the seat and then turned the end down in a protected area. * I think perhaps in the air box could cause a vacuum? Would have to try it. * I have not layed the KLR down to see if and where the fuel would drain from the carb. Have to try that also. I was just assuming that it would be the same as the DR * Andy.

standerson@home.com

vents

Post by standerson@home.com » Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:24 am

I posted something to address this yesterday. My advice is to NOT put an extra tube on the tee. Just put the tee in with the unused leg pointed upward and you have your vent. The only part necessary: the tee. Steve A.

Bogdan Swider

vents

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:39 pm

> I posted something to address this yesterday. My advice is to NOT > put an extra tube on the tee. Just put the tee in with the unused > leg pointed upward and you have your vent. The only part necessary: > the tee. > > > > > Steve A. >
Don't know about that. (1) If it's pointed upward it can catch water or dirt, mud, whatever. (2) The area below the carb is relatively open; Under the seat or behind the side panels is more protected. Rex H. found the perfect spot for my extra line to end up. Since I have a sealed battery the thingy that holds the battery vent hose was unoccupied. Looks OEM. God rewarded Rex the next weekend when Swede gave him the idea for fork seal removal by compressed air. Two instances of the advantages of working by committee. Bogdan, "The meeting shall now come to order".

Steve Anderson

vents

Post by Steve Anderson » Wed Mar 14, 2001 12:53 pm

It is pointed upward, but underneath the tank, so it isn't likely for stuff to get in it in the first place. Even if water gets in it (it's a little hole) it will just flow down and out the bottom; that's the whole point to this vent thing. The point is, when running pressure sensing lines where liquids or vapors (condensable gases) are present: "EVERY LOW POINT HAS A DRAIN AND EVERY HIGH POINT HAS A VENT." I don't think running a line from the top of the tee will buy you any benefit, but as long as it only runs uphill (no low points) it will work fine. If you run the vent line and it has a dip (a low point), it can trap water, fuel condensate, or whatever in the low point there and make it not work as a vent. Steve A.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Bogdan Swider wrote: > > > > > I posted something to address this yesterday. My advice is to NOT > > put an extra tube on the tee. Just put the tee in with the unused > > leg pointed upward and you have your vent. The only part necessary: > > the tee. > > > > > > > > > > Steve A. > > > Don't know about that. (1) If it's pointed upward it can catch water or > dirt, mud, whatever. (2) The area below the carb is relatively open; Under > the seat or behind the side panels is more protected. Rex H. found the > perfect spot for my extra line to end up. Since I have a sealed battery the > thingy that holds the battery vent hose was unoccupied. Looks OEM. God > rewarded Rex the next weekend when Swede gave him the idea for fork seal > removal by compressed air. Two instances of the advantages of working by > committee. Bogdan, "The meeting shall now come to order".

richardm@gowinnt.com

vents

Post by richardm@gowinnt.com » Wed Mar 14, 2001 1:15 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Bogdan Swider wrote:
> Don't know about that. (1) If it's pointed upward it can catch
water or
> dirt, mud, whatever.
Hmm. Maybe the upward-pointing leg of the tee needs a very short piece of hose with an in-line fuel filter at the end? The fuel filter would not affect the pressure-sense function, but would trap any debris that tried to enter. Just leave the other end of the filter open. Maybe? RM

thesquasher@hotmail.com

vents

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Wed Mar 14, 2001 2:19 pm

Then why put a T in the line when you can just remove the hose completely.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., standerson@h... wrote: > I posted something to address this yesterday. My advice is to NOT > put an extra tube on the tee. Just put the tee in with the unused > leg pointed upward and you have your vent. The only part necessary: > the tee. > > > > > Steve A.

Bogdan Swider

vents

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 14, 2001 4:14 pm

> Then why put a T in the line when you can just remove the hose > completely. >
Prescient observation Squasher. Maybe some carb guru can explain the need of a hose routed near all the water and mud. BTW did you get that moniker from your wife ? Bogdan

Bogdan Swider

vents

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 14, 2001 4:25 pm

> Then why put a T in the line when you can just remove the hose > completely. >
Hate to break it to you but the stork doesn't deliver klrs to the dealer. Some have carb vent hoses other only carb vent holes. Thus new klrs are produced. Bogdan

Rich Kickbush

vents

Post by Rich Kickbush » Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:11 pm

> > Then why put a T in the line when you can just remove the hose > > completely. > > > Prescient observation Squasher. Maybe some carb guru can explain the > need of a hose routed near all the water and mud. BTW did you get that > moniker from your wife ? Bogdan
I'm so not a carb guru but I thought the breather also functions as an overflow tube from the float bowl, in the rare event it overflows as a preference to raw fuel running into the engine. That's why it was directed downwards in the first place? Rich