gasket re-use was: v-v-v-v-v-vibration

DSN_KLR650
tomrsewell@yahoo.com

klr south america lap modifications needed?

Post by tomrsewell@yahoo.com » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:26 am

hey- i'm planning a year long lap around CA/SA in 2002/3 on my KLR. i've already had happy-trails in boise make me a beefy rack and boxes, c stand, dual rad guards/h pegs. what other stuff could a toy head guy do to customize her? K&N washable air filter? hotgrips? hi shield? is a oil or water temp gauge available? how bout a gear indicator? LOUD horn? lite flashers (modulators)? are big side crash guards available from somewhere?

standerson@home.com

gasket re-use was: v-v-v-v-v-vibration

Post by standerson@home.com » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:50 am

My own experience is that if you put those gaskets on "dry", or with a light oil film they will often (but not always) stick in spots. You can still reuse them if you take things apart very carefully, but the technique I described can help make it a no-brainer, and I do get more uses, personally. It's just that I've been there with a heavy left hand cover in one hand with the wires still connected, and the stator trying to get sucked to the magneto, tool in the other hand and having the stupid gasket stick to one surface at one corner, and the other surface in an opposite corner. I am not a good juggler ;-]. Steve A.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Bogdan Swider wrote: > > > > > > Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give Hylomar a whirl. If it doesn't > > work out, I'll try RTV. > > > > RM > > > > > Those gaskets already are coated with graphite. If they're in decent > shape they shouldn't need anything. Bogdan

standerson@home.com

Post by standerson@home.com » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:52 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., tomrsewell@y... wrote:
> hey- i'm planning a year long lap around CA/SA in 2002/3 on my KLR. > i've already had happy-trails in boise make me a beefy rack and > boxes, c stand, dual rad guards/h pegs. what other stuff could a
toy
> head guy do to customize her? K&N washable air filter? hotgrips? hi > shield? is a oil or water temp gauge available? how bout a gear > indicator? LOUD horn? lite flashers (modulators)? are big side
crash
> guards available from somewhere?
a good gps

George Basinet

Post by George Basinet » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:36 am

tomrsewell@... wrote:
> hey- i'm planning a year long lap around CA/SA in 2002/3 on my KLR. > i've already had happy-trails in boise make me a beefy rack and > boxes, c stand, dual rad guards/h pegs. what other stuff could a toy > head guy do to customize her? K&N washable air filter? hotgrips? hi > shield? is a oil or water temp gauge available? how bout a gear > indicator? LOUD horn? lite flashers (modulators)? are big side crash > guards available from somewhere?
Tom In South America a little plastic Jesus on the top of the speedometer might help. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of manufacturing one with a removable head for different countries religion. Mohammed, Buddha, etc. These can all be replaced with a Lava Light model when necessary. Have a great trip George Escondido, CA