darian for tall rider sizing question nklr

DSN_KLR650
Michael Williams

flip-up helmets

Post by Michael Williams » Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:25 pm

Sounds like a good many of the list members are wearing the flip-up design helmets. I, also, have been searching for one. I wear eyeglasses, so I thought it might actually be practical as well as cool :-) I've heard many of you praise the Nolan model, but it just doesn't fit me well. Actually, I've been able to find very few helmets that fit me well; I'm not putting the Nolan down at all. I visited a bike shop last week to do a little comparison with the Shoei Syncrotec (I believe that's the name). It may have fit a bit better, but cost a gob more money - closer to $400. I believe the Nolan was closer to $200. As I was walking out, I noticed a model made by HJC (?) which the salesman claimed was a new design. It fit me perfectly, and was only about $230. It didn't appear to me that it was made as nicely as the other helmets. There was no padding around the chin, and no liner in the upper part of the helmet. The plastic liner on the interior chin area was a bit flimsy also. So guy and gals, what do you think of the Shoei and HJC models? Anybody own one of these? Anyone know of other models out there with flip-up fronts? How are they as far as air tightness and noise go? Michael Williams

Debbie Barry

flip-up helmets

Post by Debbie Barry » Fri Jan 26, 2001 5:27 pm

I have a Nolan, but I typically don't use it very much, quick rides to work of some dirt trails etc, I like the flip up design but the helmet seems flimsy, I have an older Shoei which I am replacing next month while in Europe for either a BMW system4 or a Schubert, both are quality flip up type helmets, unfortunately not sold in the US. I bought an HJC for my wife last winter, we went out riding New Years day and she was complaining about air leaks, we stopped and after looking the visor didn't seal well when closed, I returned it and bought her the Shoei RF800. All of the HJC CL12 helmets at the shop were the same. My head is more important than my wallet John Barry 01 KLR650 00 Concours 81 R100S
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Williams" To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 2:14 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Flip-up Helmets > Sounds like a good many of the list members are wearing the flip-up > design helmets. I, also, have been searching for one. I wear > eyeglasses, so I thought it might actually be practical as well as cool > :-) > > I've heard many of you praise the Nolan model, but it just doesn't fit > me well. Actually, I've been able to find very few helmets that fit me > well; I'm not putting the Nolan down at all. I visited a bike shop last > week to do a little comparison with the Shoei Syncrotec (I believe > that's the name). It may have fit a bit better, but cost a gob more > money - closer to $400. I believe the Nolan was closer to $200. As I > was walking out, I noticed a model made by HJC (?) which the salesman > claimed was a new design. It fit me perfectly, and was only about > $230. It didn't appear to me that it was made as nicely as the other > helmets. There was no padding around the chin, and no liner in the > upper part of the helmet. The plastic liner on the interior chin area > was a bit flimsy also. > > So guy and gals, what do you think of the Shoei and HJC models? Anybody > own one of these? Anyone know of other models out there with flip-up > fronts? How are they as far as air tightness and noise go? > > > Michael Williams > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

jirvine@nmsu.edu

flip-up helmets

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:52 pm

At 06:30 PM 1/26/01 -0500, Debbie Barry wrote:
>All of the HJC CL12 helmets at >the shop were the same. >My head is more important than my wallet
I recently purchased an HJC LT12 that was highly recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News. They retail for about $225, their top of the line and MCN compared it to most of the $400 lids. I got my off the net for about $150 and have really liked it. As quiet as my more expensive AGV, light as well.

Karl Raupp

flip-up helmets

Post by Karl Raupp » Fri Jan 26, 2001 9:58 pm

My HJC LT-12's visor has developed a non-seal problem. The wind noise doesn't bother me since I discovered earplugs, but my eyes are red and irritated after a full day on the bike. Don't know what happened since it used to seal just fine. I like the idea of the flip-up helmets but none that I know of are Snell rated. That tells me something. Karl
>leaks, we stopped and after looking the visor didn't seal well when closed, >I returned it and bought her the Shoei RF800. All of the HJC CL12 helmets >at >the shop were the same.
_________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

rwk@aol.com

flip-up helmets

Post by rwk@aol.com » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:46 pm

Schuberth has made flip-up helmets for BMW for decades. They stopped selling in the US years ago and their helmets were not DOT approved. They are now refocusing on the US and have a new carbon fiber DOT compliant design. Their old helmets were better IMHO than the Nolan product. Web address is www.schuberth-usa.com. BMW dealers will carry them for sure and they will be pricey( approx $400). BTW BMW owners group magazine had a flip-up helmet comparison in their October 2000 issue. '91R100GSPD '00KLR650 Baltimore [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

k650dsn@aol.com

flip-up helmets

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:51 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., rwk@a... wrote: Their > old helmets were better IMHO than the Nolan product. Web address is > www.schuberth-usa.com. BMW dealers will carry them for sure and they will be > pricey( approx $400 The System IIs were probably the best, on par with the Nolan and definetly not better than the Shoei. IMHO Gino

Debbie Barry

flip-up helmets

Post by Debbie Barry » Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:08 pm

You are right on about the Nolan Vs the Schubert, I used to wear an N100 riding, it was noisy and felt cheap, I just came back from Amsterdam with a new black Schubert, it ended up costing me around $300 including a spare sheild, the helmet is great, one hand opening, remavable washable liner and a really cool fighter pilot type tinted internal flip down visor. There is a company in the US selling them now (unauthorized) for $375 plus shipping. Really quiet helmet! John Barry 01 KLR650 81 R100S
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 8:46 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Flip-up helmets > Schuberth has made flip-up helmets for BMW for decades. They stopped selling > in the US years ago and their helmets were not DOT approved. They are now > refocusing on the US and have a new carbon fiber DOT compliant design. Their > old helmets were better IMHO than the Nolan product. Web address is > www.schuberth-usa.com. BMW dealers will carry them for sure and they will be > pricey( approx $400). BTW BMW owners group magazine had a flip-up helmet > comparison in their October 2000 issue. > > > '91R100GSPD > '00KLR650 > Baltimore > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Debbie Barry

darian for tall rider sizing question nklr

Post by Debbie Barry » Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:26 pm

They are stiff when they are new, but they break in nicely, washing helps, my new Darien pants are in there now! John Barry 01 KLR650 81 R100S
----- Original Message ----- From: "P Connolly" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 8:43 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Darian for Tall rider sizing question NKLR > Looking at picking up a hi-viz Darien jacket (hey, if they see me, I > get to live). I wear a 48 extra long. Not sure if I should get the > XL or XXL Darien with +2" in the sleeves. I've heard they're pretty > stiff, so perhaps the XXL will give me "room to grow". > > Other great jackets with armor for tall dual sporting? I've just > heard a lot of great things about Aerostitch and I like the Hi-Viz > concept. > > Thanks, > > Patrick > Denver, CO > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >