rear shock advice. 1999 klr 650.

DSN_KLR650
iambwfox@yahoo.com

where do i go? nklr

Post by iambwfox@yahoo.com » Fri Mar 02, 2001 2:57 pm

Peter, I am 47 and have spent alot of time moving around in the West. I have not ridden alot in the Four Corners area. I have ridden in Moab, Price, Hanksville, and alot around Delta,UT some years ago. I lived in LasVegas and did some riding there. I was born and raised in Elko, NV and returned there for several years in the early 90's. I have spent many years in SW Idaho. The riding from Bruneau to NV has to be experienced to be believed. That part of Idaho also has good proximity to National Forest trails, if Clinton hasn't derailed it all. I now reside in the Far North Idaho Panhandle and have ridden here in the woods and around Spokane, WA and the Clearwater Forest in N central Idaho. I will soon be able to relocate for the last time. I will be buying a new dualsport and hopefully follow that with a more offroad oriented selection as well. I have different parameters for lifestyle choices than you obviously, but I will move to Mountain Home, ID in Elmore County, SW ID. It is 35 miles from Boise it is 20 miles from the Blackrock Desert in Owyhee County, it is 40 miles from some good trail riding in the Boise Ntl. Forest. Boise is experiencing a boom in industry primarily due to technology companies. Ask Tim Bernard from happy Trails aka Boise Driveline Services. Boise is obviously farther North than your ideals, but I have been faced with making a similar decision with different objectives. Good luck with your choices...Bert Fox

Eric

rear shock advice. 1999 klr 650.

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 04, 2001 8:08 am

> I am a real > big fella and want to repalce my rear spring with something stiffer. > I wore my eyes out reading White Bros. Catalog and concluded that > book only has one Model PS 1159. There alot of things around > concerned lowering bikes, but I want mine stiff and tall, since I
am
> 6'4". Can onyone suggest what some of my options are??
don't forget to check out racetech,they sell springs for shocks (straight rate)and might have something for your bike.they should also be able to talk you through selecting the proper rate spring for your weight.i also have heard of works performance having a "heart transplant" available for the stock shock.to be honest i would find the correct spring first as that should make a noticable difference for $100 or less.>
> I think I want straight rate vs. a progressive rate, which would be > rated at 350 to 450 lbs, since I weigh 300lbs. I wonder if the > progressive rate would be too agressive when rapidly mashed
compared
> to the straight rate, but, then again, I am not too sharp in the > physics/dynamics department.
either will be better than what you have now but i would prefer the straight rate(more consistant,less progressive).
> > One more question, which is rear spring related, what is the 650.00 > dollar "piggyback" thing-a-jig I read about on White Bros. >
i have not seen the shock but a "piggyback" is usually just a external nitrogen resevoir(adds volume,more oil)often these will also have dampening adjusters on them (low speed adjusters). good luck hunting,if you cannot find any info.e-mail me off list .i work at a race tech center but we do not do any of the dirt stuff. i might be able to get answers for you about what they have for the klr. any listers out there ever have works performace make them a shock?i am surprised to not hear their name mentioned on the list.do they not make "big" shocks? eric A7 KLR650 A1 EX 500 92 851