darien light anyone?-nklr

DSN_KLR650
k650dsn@aol.com

are you fully dressed all the time? nklr

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:14 am

Okay, I just have to ask this. Every Sunday on my way to church, I pass by a coffee shop that usually has a bunch of bikes out front. Many of them (mainly Beemers, but others too) have their side cases and tail trunks on. What's up with that? I can see having all of the luggage on for daily commuting and, of course, touring, but for a Sunday ride? When I go for a Sunday ride, the most I want on my bike is a tank bag. So why do riders feel they have to ride around fully dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? Gino

Dash Weeks

Post by Dash Weeks » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:24 am

At 04:12 PM 2/27/2001 +0000, k650dsn@... wrote:
>Okay, I just have to ask this. Every Sunday on my way to church, I >pass by a coffee shop that usually has a bunch of bikes out front. >Many of them (mainly Beemers, but others too) have their side cases >and tail trunks on. What's up with that? I can see having all of the >luggage on for daily commuting and, of course, touring, but for a >Sunday ride? When I go for a Sunday ride, the most I want on my bike >is a tank bag. So why do riders feel they have to ride around fully >dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? > >Gino
Where else are they going to show off their shiny parts. They don't meet for trail rides and they prolly don't tour together either. "My back tire is fatter than yours.... NA NA" Oh wait.... DUH the answer is right in front of me.... You go for a Sunday RIDE and they go for coffee.... see that's it, they don't RIDE at all, so it doesn't matter to them. Yeah well I'm pretty much useless at work this morning too, so there. LaterZ Dash

Eric Grundin

Post by Eric Grundin » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:27 am

We have so much important crap in them that we never use that they are to heavy to lift off the bike with out straining our old backs. Eric Grundin Salem, Wi. 99 Concours "Airbike" 01 KLR 650 COG #3728 AMA #75867 Silly Yuppie Trailers are for Boats.
> is a tank bag. So why do riders feel they have to ride around fully > dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? > > Gino > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

jett@rimrockconsulting.com

Post by jett@rimrockconsulting.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:52 am

I suspect it makes me look dorkier than usual, but I confess that since I got the Givi set-up from Tim in December that I usually have the two side bags or the tail trunk on. Even short rides often seem to involve getting 10 or 20 miles out in the desert, and I just feel better having the tool pack (which is up to about 10 pounds), a few extra supplies, extra water, maybe a jacket liner, etc. I know I'm adding weight, but I've been thinking the side bags help stability and balance on the highway by lowering the center of gravity. Jett, in Phoenix
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., k650dsn@a... wrote: > Okay, I just have to ask this. Every Sunday on my way to church, I > pass by a coffee shop that usually has a bunch of bikes out front. > Many of them (mainly Beemers, but others too) have their side cases > and tail trunks on. What's up with that? I can see having all of the > luggage on for daily commuting and, of course, touring, but for a > Sunday ride? When I go for a Sunday ride, the most I want on my bike

Mark S. Hamlin

Post by Mark S. Hamlin » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:09 am

| Message: 22 | Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:12:55 -0000 | From: k650dsn@... | Subject: | | Okay, I just have to ask this. Every Sunday on my way to church, I | pass by a coffee shop that usually has a bunch of bikes out front. | Many of them (mainly Beemers, but others too) have their side cases | and tail trunks on. What's up with that? I can see having all of the | luggage on for daily commuting and, of course, touring, but for a | Sunday ride? When I go for a Sunday ride, the most I want on my bike | is a tank bag. So why do riders feel they have to ride around fully | dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? | | Gino Another question is why not? I don't know the side bags are there, they weigh <5 lbs(guess). On a 550 lb bike, there ain't much differance. Aerodynamically, the difference is not great enough to worry about. In my own case the tank bag is far more problematic than side bags. Besides, the beemer riders need a place to store the Aerostich while shopping for the Cabernet and brie. Mark S. Hamlin Corralitos, CA USA 2000 MZ Black Panther 1985 BMW K100

monahanwb@yahoo.com

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:12 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dash Weeks wrote:
> At 04:12 PM 2/27/2001 +0000, k650dsn@a... wrote: > >Okay, I just have to ask this. What's up with that? So why do
riders feel they have to ride around fully
> >dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? > Where else are they going to show off their shiny parts. They
don't meet
> for trail rides and they prolly don't tour together either.
Since the question has been asked, I will answer. Since it isn't any of my business, and doesn't affect me one way or the other, I don't mind it. Like, who cares? Backroad Bill

Ron Hipkiss

Post by Ron Hipkiss » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:15 am

"When I go for a Sunday ride, the most I want on my bike is a tank bag. So why do riders feel they have to ride around fully dressed when the luggage (and weight) can be easily left off? Gino" Well, when you have all of the problems that I've had on my beemer, you need the extra luggage to carry all of the spare parts needed to fix the bike on the road ;) Also, should the bike break in a manner that isn't fixable on the roadside (got that t-shirt!) the extra luggage allows you to carry survival essentials like food and shelter. Cpt. Ron Sacramento, CA '96 R1100GS "Mothership" For sale '89 Hawk GT "Shop Whore" '83 XR350 was "Valdez"

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:21 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., monahanwb@y... wrote:
> Since the question has been asked, I will answer. > > Since it isn't any of my business, and doesn't affect me one way or > the other, I don't mind it. Like, who cares? > > Backroad Bill
Oh Bill. Don't get all worked up in a dither now. I was just asking a simply question. We are allowed to do that, aren't we? Gino, always curious

monahanwb@yahoo.com

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:29 am

> Oh Bill. Don't get all worked up in a dither now. I was just
asking
> a simply question. We are allowed to do that, aren't we? > > Gino, always curious
Hey, that's cool. I havent' gotten out of the yesterday's dither when I had to pepper spray this bum-asshole-pest who would let me eat my lunch in peace, and I found out my spray was too old to do any good. I just gave up worrying about what other people ride too much, if I hadn't, I'd be making fun of almost everyone. Cheers

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Tue Feb 27, 2001 11:38 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., monahanwb@y... wrote: I had to pepper spray this bum-asshole-pest who would let me eat > my lunch in peace, and I found out my spray was too old to do any > good. Don't throw away the old pepper spray. I hear it's good on spinach salad. Gino, bon appetit