nklr/riding pants

DSN_KLR650
Henry (Terry) Brigham

carburetor jets

Post by Henry (Terry) Brigham » Mon Jan 29, 2001 7:00 pm

A couple of monthe ago, one of the listers posted the Kawasaki part #s to upgrade a KLR carb to the specks of one of the other Kawasaki 650 carburetors. He listed NITB-16009-1794 needle, 92143-1667 collar/spacer and 92037-1401 clip. I have ordered these parts but dont know where the collar/spacer goes. If you see this, could you please provide a broader explaination of installation ? Either on the list of off. Many thanks, Terry Brigham. Rockport, Texas.

BCSavWill@cs.com

carburetor jets

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:07 pm

Hi, The spacer /s sit on top of the needle clip. Regards Brian A14

BCSavWill@cs.com

carburetor jets

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Tue Jan 30, 2001 2:45 pm

Hi, This is getting interesting. As far as I can determine all KLR 650's used the cvk 40 with the arrangement as follows. slide, needle, clip, (no spacer), spring seat, spring, diaphragm, cover. KLR 600, also cvk40, slide, spring seat, spacer, needle, clip, spring, diaphragm, cover. On the 650's the spacer adds preload to the spring which will enrichen the acceleration mixture, bit like an accelerator pump does. I am doing this from memory and perhaps there are other with a more definitive explanation. I stand to be corrected on this. With the dyno jet kit, for example, you get 2 new spacers to be fitted as described. For starters I would fit the clip in the 3rd groove (from the top of the needle) and the spacer. You will then need to road or dyno test to evaluate the mixture from 1/3 to 2/3 throttle opening. Watch the exhaust as the revs build if it pours black smoke drop the needle (raise the clip to #2 groove or remove the spacer and check again. The best way is to use a fuel air ratio monitor. This is all getting a bit too deep. I am sure it will run OK. It's the fine tuning that takes time (and money if you pay someone to do it for you). The old way was to check plug colours, but this only works for fine tuning with race gas as there are too many additives in road fuel that modify burn characteristics and road plugs have a wide heat range too and can mask reading, Bottom line, if runs OK and pulls clean without spluttering its OK. If it cuts on you under hard acceleration it's probably, in your case, a rich mixture cut. Constant velocity carbs are not as easy as ones with throttle cable attached to the slide, at least you know where the slide is with them.        Regards, Brian A14 A14

Henry (Terry) Brigham

carburetor jets

Post by Henry (Terry) Brigham » Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:20 pm

Hi Brian. I just did the pilot jet drill out mod and it seems to help a little. I gently screwed the jet in and it bottomed at 1 1/2 turns. Would seem to be horribly lean. Backed it out about 2 1/4 turns and all seems to be well. The bike starts much faster and is able to rev up sooner than before. On the other hand, somewhere in the back of my mind, I have a little voice telling me that if the pilot jet is on the engine side of the slide, you screw it in to richen it and if the pilot jet is on the air cleaner side of the slide, you screw it out to richen it. Does that ring any bells with you??? Many thanks for all your advise, Terry
----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 12:10 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] carburetor jets > Hi, > > Thats the one, If you have no popping on the overrun then it's probably OK. > Next time you are at the carb I would do it. It is the blank cap right in the > middle of the carb, right next to the intake manifold. Drill it carefully, > any size will do so you can screw a self tapping screw in and lever it off. > > Regards, > > Brian > A14 > D17 >

Fred Hink

nklr/riding pants

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Jan 31, 2001 8:15 pm

[b]How big is big?  I have a pair of First Gear Hyper-Tex overpants that have padding/armor in all the right places.  They are water proof and very well made.  If you fit a size 44", let me know quick as I have a pair that is just about ready to be shipped back to the distributor.  I can sell these for $55 less than suggested list price.  If you are needing some top of the line pants at a price you won't find anywhere else, let me know.  If these aren't big enough I can get them larger.[/b] [b][/b]  [b]Fred[/b] [b]www.arrowheadmotorsports.com[/b] [b][/b] 
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] trbusa@... [b]To:[/b] DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, January 31, 2001 11:02 AM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_klr650] NKLR/riding pants ok- after years of riding, you guys now have me convinced to get a good pair of riding pants, with good armor inserts and all. (I already ride with a fully armored jacket). So anybody know who makes something good for BIG guys at a reasonable price ( if not- at any price)- all suggestions highly appreciated. Heavy L