2 new questions

DSN_KLR650
Jim Barthell

2 new questions + klr stuff...list notes and a question

Post by Jim Barthell » Sat Jan 20, 2001 12:08 pm

You won't get any argument from me, honest, it was just a respectful disagreement, I voiced my opinion and now I'm done... (except I hope to see Fred's link return) I am still interested though if anyone knows the db rating on the KLR OEM exhaust??? Also, anyone know if Maaco can paint the parts from a KLR? I bought a set from Dual Star and I'd like to drop it off and get it painted. Jim Barthell -----Original Message----- From: Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News) [mailto:dsneditor@...] Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 10:13 AM To: Jim Barthell; DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR Stuff...List Notes and a question Jim, I'm open to continuing to talk about this and other issues of direction with the entire list (with you and others so long as it is a respectful dialogue).

Mike Roell

2 new questions

Post by Mike Roell » Sat Jan 20, 2001 2:10 pm

It should be imprinted on the canister with all the info about the spark arrester and the like. If not, I will make a wild guess and say that it is probably 82-85dB. IIRC, every 3dB increase equates to a doubling in the perceived volume. However, considering that most aftermarket sportbike pipes(slip-on or full system) are in the 93- 100dB range, 90 dB is pretty good. For another point of reference, a lot of H-D pipes, Samson in particular, are in the 102-105dB range. I lot of chain auto paint shops won't do it because they see it as a hassle. However, any shop that paints modern cars is capable. The key to the paint job on bike parts like those on the KLR is the addition of plastisizers(sp?) so that the paint remains flexible and doesn't crack. Mike San Diego, CA --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Jim Barthell" wrote:
> You won't get any argument from me, honest, it was just a respectful > disagreement, I voiced my opinion and now I'm done... (except I
hope to see
> Fred's link return) > > I am still interested though if anyone knows the db rating on the
KLR OEM
> exhaust??? > > Also, anyone know if Maaco can paint the parts from a KLR? I bought
a set
> from Dual Star and I'd like to drop it off and get it painted. > > Jim Barthell > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News) [mailto:dsneditor@s...] > Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 10:13 AM > To: Jim Barthell; DSN_klr650@egroups.com > Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR Stuff...List Notes and a question > > Jim, I'm open to continuing to talk about this and other issues of
direction
> with the entire list (with you and others so long as it is a
respectful
> dialogue). > >

Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News)

2 new questions + klr stuff...list notes and a question

Post by Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News) » Sat Jan 20, 2001 2:35 pm

I am still interested though if anyone knows the db rating on the KLR OEM exhaust??? ____________ Jim, in the Dec '1999 issue of DSN, Arne did an article called "How LOUD is the Big Gun exhaust" ...he did some sound readings comparing the stocker, ST IDS Quiet, Big 'un, and an open header, of course there can be so many variances...but he came up with the following: idle 2000 4000 rpm 6000 rpm Stock: 84-87 95-97 101 113 ST IDS Quiet 86 94 104 110 BG with silencer (old style) 92 101 109 115 Open 120 Off Scale Kurt