update on help!!!

DSN_KLR650
Will Oberg

update on help!!!

Post by Will Oberg » Fri Jan 12, 2001 7:50 pm

First, I want to thank all of you for your replies. The fell into several categories: magnet, flush, tilt, and left side. The suggestions about using a magnet were appreciated, but not effective. I went out and got a thin magnetic wand, but there was no way to retrieve the part. The whole darned engine has iron or nickel in it, so the mag sticks to everything. Plus, I couldn't get the wand down through the gap between the chains. Another suggestion was to try to flush the part out by using oil and kerosene. After I looked at the engine and the diagrams in the manual, I decided this wouldn't work , since the cam chain is housed in a separate part of the engine. Tilt the motor and hope the part drops out again?! Lots of prayer would have to accompany that one. Finally the suggestion from one of you about taking off the side cover, the "obvious answer" seemed right on the money. This made the most sense. I'd like to credit the lister who gave me this reply, but I cannot rcall who it was. I pulled the side cover, but no luck. I figured the part was under the magneto. To remove the mag, you need a special holder and puller. I called my local Kaw dealer, who said I could buy the holder for $20, but he'd have to order the puller. I asked him to come look at the bike, which is what he kindly did. Remember here, I started out to adjust the valves, and kind of have a nice time fooling with the bike. Whew, I took a wrong turn! The Kaw wrench tried to break the mag loose with a different kind of holder, with no luck. He said he could easily do it with his air tool at the shop. I asked him how much to take the bike to the shop (I have no trailer), pull the mag, find the missing part, adjust the valves, and button the whole thing up. He said about $146. I said good deal. He came for the bike shortly thereafter. So, later this afternoon, he called (good service!)to say he'd have the bike ready probably tomorrow. He has not found the missing part. I do not know if he replaced the part. He did replace some or all shims. I'll find out more tomorrow. After all this, I think I'll adopt Biker Mike's attitude about bike maintenance. Brakes, Oil, and Tires. Valves? Well, you would think I've learned some kind of lesson here. A man's got to know his limits, as Hal Holbrook said. I'll post the final upshot of my mechanical adventures. Thanks for your patience with my quick draft writing; hope you all could follow it. Thanks again for everyone's help. Will Temporarily KLR-less