was: klr650 battery tender & jump starting

DSN_KLR650
Dash Weeks

nklr rio grande

Post by Dash Weeks » Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:39 pm

> >It used to be worse than that. On the Mexican side a few miles up river >from the place I used to camp was a town called La Linda. It was a company >town run by (I think) Dow Chemical. It was very hard to get there from >Mexico but a paved road accessed it from the American side. It was obviously >put there to avoid U.S. environmental regulations. They manufactured some of >the chemicals that went into Freon. They dumped stuff into the river. This >knowledge never stopped me from my daily swim and I'm not dead yet, as far >as I can tell. Bogdan
I fish in the Big River and feed the harvest to my children, (first :O ). I hunt and eat ducks that eat, drink and swim in it. I've waded across, rafted down, and swam in it. To test out my new back-packing filter, I even drank from the Big River. I don't bathe in it, but I would if I had to. It's brown and silty, but that's about it these days. I wouldn't do these things south of the border. Now Bogdan, "I See Dead People", so perhaps I'll see you in June. :) LaterZ Dash

jirvine@nmsu.edu

nklr rio grande

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Thu Jan 04, 2001 7:14 pm

At 03:39 PM 1/4/01 -0800, Dash Weeks wrote:
> It's brown and silty, but >that's about it these days. I wouldn't do these things south of the border. > >Now Bogdan, "I See Dead People", so perhaps I'll see you in June. :) > >LaterZ >Dash
All of the water that flows through Big Bend is really from "South of the Border" and it is a stretch to call it water. It has some water in it that helps all the other crap slowly flow to the Gulf. You don't even want to research the incidence of unusual carcinomas and other nice things of people who live along it )-:

Dash Weeks

nklr rio grande

Post by Dash Weeks » Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:39 am

> >All of the water that flows through Big Bend is really from "South of the >Border" and it is a stretch to call it water. It has some water in it >that helps all the other crap slowly flow to the Gulf.
Yeah good point, here in Northern NM, it's not half bad.
>You don't even want >to research the incidence of unusual carcinomas and other nice things of >people who live along it )-:
I'm immune to those sorts of things anyway. I live in Los Alamos :) disclaimer: I make jokes about Los Alamos all the time, however, Los Alamos is a very safe place to live AND work. LaterZ Dash

motor_rider@email.msn.com

nklr rio grande

Post by motor_rider@email.msn.com » Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:58 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Dash Weeks wrote:
> disclaimer: I make jokes about Los Alamos all the time, however,
Los
> Alamos is a very safe place to live AND work. > > LaterZ > Dash
You wouldn't say that if you lived in Espanola. Gino

Dash Weeks

was: klr650 battery tender & jump starting

Post by Dash Weeks » Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:30 am

At 07:20 AM 1/5/2001 -0800, jirvine@... wrote:
>At 12:20 AM 1/5/01 -0500, you wrote: > >Ralph, > > > >It will take forever & a day for the KLR's charging system to fully > >charge a dead battery. For this reason, it would be best the > >disconnect the headlight's 3 wire connector (at the rear of the > >headlight), before jump starting your bike. It's possible that riding > >your KLR for an hour or more will NOT recharge the battery enough > >for a subsequent re-start, even with the headlight disconnected. Most > >cars will have sufficient charge after 20 - 30 minutes of running to > >restart the car. This is not true for the lower capacity charging > >system on motorcycles. > > > >Professor A9 Federal Way, WA. [USA] > >Has anyone hooked up a switch for their headlight, there are times I'd like >to run the bike without that drain. Probably a pretty easy job but I >wouldn't want to add more resistance to the line going to the headlight.
I switched mine. But actually I simply switched the control leg of a relay, that way there is even less drop than stock and you don't have to run a bunch of current to your controls. LaterZ Dash

Dash Weeks

nklr rio grande

Post by Dash Weeks » Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:04 am

> >Los > > Alamos is a very safe place to live AND work. > > > > LaterZ > > Dash > >You wouldn't say that if you lived in Espanola. > >Gino
AYE Yes very good point. I go there quite often for excellent food and the occasional Wal-Mart requirements, and of course to get anywhere up north it is easiest to go through town. Other than the roads being crowded with "modified vehichles" and occasional road-rage, I've never had a problem there. I've experienced way more rude people in Albuquerque than I have in Espanola, both on the road and during my normal daily business. Espanola has a very bad reputation, most perhaps is deserved but I just haven't had problems there. A buddy of mine is a Mounted Patrol Trooper from the Espanola Troop and he has stories that will raise the hair on your neck. Stuff they can't even put on the news. So I'll keep my experience in check with his and stay away on a Friday and Saturday night. LaterZ Dash

jdsummer@flash.net

nklr rio grande

Post by jdsummer@flash.net » Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:31 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Dash Weeks wrote:
> > > > >Los > > > Alamos is a very safe place to live AND work. > > > > > > LaterZ > > > Dash > > > >You wouldn't say that if you lived in Espanola. > > > >Gino
Ahh, Espanola! Spent a couple of weeks there back in 1998, putting in a new Telephone office. First place I ever had anyone ask me if I wanted red or green chilli's with my breakfast! Also the first place I ever saw a car come around a turn on 3 wheels. Talk about suspension modifications......:> JD (still suffering from all the food I ate there) A14-4.8K "Godzilla" DF/W, Tx.