[dsn_klr650] headlights and wattage

DSN_KLR650
boet2001@hotmail.com

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by boet2001@hotmail.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 11:02 am

Hi DSN_klt650 readers, I'm fixing to replace my SR500 with another thumper, and I was all set to buy the KLR650. Today, someone said "Have you checked out the BMW 650 thumper?" so I had a look on the WWW and like it alot, too. Can you tell me, is it worth $3000 more for the BMW, and why or why not? Thanks for info, CB

motor_rider@email.msn.com

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by motor_rider@email.msn.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:02 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, boet2001@h... wrote:
> Hi DSN_klt650 readers, > > I'm fixing to replace my SR500 with another thumper, and I was all > set to buy the KLR650. Today, someone said "Have you checked out
the
> BMW 650 thumper?" so I had a look on the WWW and like it alot,
too.
> Can you tell me, is it worth $3000 more for the BMW, and why or why > not? > > Thanks for info, > > CB
CB, If you are looking for bang-for-the-buck, the KLR is the only choice. If you want a BMW....get the BMW. I know that sounds simple, but you just need to examine what you plan to use the bike for. The KLR will do anything the F650 can do, but for less money. If you want the satisfaction of owning a BMW, then the Beemer is the only choice. In my mind, neither is better than the other. MR

Stuart Heaslet

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by Stuart Heaslet » Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:15 pm

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:02:26 -0000 boet2001@... wrote:
> Can you tell me, is it (the KLR) worth $3000 more for the
BMW, and why or why not? Acquisition cost aside, if you're going to travel its hard to beat the tank size of the KLR. There are aftermarket items on the KLR that may drive up the price, but the same thing will happen on the BMW, in different places. I have nearly $2200 in aftermarket items on the KLR, but that's unusual. My guess is that I'd put at least $1500 in aftermarket stuff on the BMW to make it not quite as functional as the KLR. The BMW is sleek and pretty, and sits lower. The tank bulges out to cushion a fall. Scratches on a KLR are a badge of honor. A scratch on a BMW causes high blood pressure. BMW's with fuel injection and computer problems in the middle of nowhere cause everyone to scratch their heads. It would be a pisser to find oneself in the middle of Mexico surrounded by farmers saying, "si, el motocicleta es muy bonita," when it's dead in the water because of a computer chip problem. I'll probably eat my words someday. Practical men and women ride KLR's. Fireballs

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by motor_rider@email.msn.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:22 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Stuart Heaslet" wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:02:26 -0000 > boet2001@h... wrote: > > Can you tell me, is it (the KLR) worth $3000 more for the > BMW, and why or why not? > > Acquisition cost aside, if you're going to travel its hard > to beat the tank size of the KLR. > > The BMW is sleek and pretty, and sits lower. The tank > bulges out to cushion a fall. Scratches on a KLR are a > badge of honor. A scratch on a BMW causes high blood > pressure. BMW's with fuel injection and computer problems > in the middle of nowhere cause everyone to scratch their > heads. It would be a pisser to find oneself in the middle > of Mexico surrounded by farmers saying, "si, el motocicleta > es muy bonita," when it's dead in the water because of a > computer chip problem. > Fireballs
In defense of the BMW, The Motonic II used on the F650GS has been a very stable and dependable FI system. The F650 will make more power and get better mileage than a piped and jetted KLR, thus negating some of the KLR's tanker qualities. The BMW does get a centerstand "made" with the bike, not just for the bike. All BMW accessories are a simple "bolt-on" proposition as opposed to the "I hope it fits" issue as with the KLR. MR

jody@ticketmaster.com

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by jody@ticketmaster.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:24 pm

Hey CB, I test rode the F650GS(Yes they let me take one out!!!!) before I bought my new KLR a few weeks ago. I really liked the BM'er as a street or commuting bike and it was quite a bit quicker than the KLR. It is fuel injected and has a pretty wild dual exhaust setup which make it sound awesome. It also has a catalytic converter, which makes it very green. But I think the tradeoff would be any dirt riding you would want to do. The F650GS is heavier, 450 lbs. dry, has less suspension travel 7" front and 6.5" rear, and slightly higher gearing, but it puts out a very nice 45hp. The KLR weighs 337lbs dry, has 9.1" of travel front and rear and only specs at 37 HP. If you like to work on your own bike, then the BMW would probably not be a good choice either. The larger fuel tank on the KLR is also a key advantage over the BMW. IMHO, if you want to do more than 10% of your riding off road, stick with the KLR and save some $. If you are looking for a mainly touring bike for some occasional dirt road riding the BMW might be nice. Hope that helps, Jody A15

Stuart Heaslet

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by Stuart Heaslet » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:15 pm

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 18:22:37 -0000 motor_rider@... wrote:
> In defense of the BMW, The Motonic II used on the F650GS > has been a > very stable and dependable FI system
I respect your opinion, and can prove it because your advice has caused me to spend lots of money on motorcycle stuff. Though I'm mildly curious about your schizophrenic defense of the BMW, I trust you are healthy and well. I can't tell if "stable and dependable" is based on real world riding in third world countries. It makes no sense to me to go somewhere and not be able to field repair a problem because it requires shop-based diagnostics. I might enjoy the BMW in a well-fed western country, but I wouldn't necessarily rely on it in rural Latin America for the same reasons I wouldn't prance about in a Laura Ashley outfit in western Ecuador. Fireball

Toby 'Slide' Lampson

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by Toby 'Slide' Lampson » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:47 pm

You might want to checkout my test ride article of a F650 GS DAKAR in the next DSN.....This is a critical analysis of the bike, and.... I want one.......if you'd like more of a detailed comparison let me know...... Toby boet2001@... wrote:
> Hi DSN_klt650 readers, > > I'm fixing to replace my SR500 with another thumper, and I was all > set to buy the KLR650. Today, someone said "Have you checked out the > BMW 650 thumper?" so I had a look on the WWW and like it alot, too. > Can you tell me, is it worth $3000 more for the BMW, and why or why > not? > > Thanks for info, > > CB > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

stevens@vanion.com

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by stevens@vanion.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:49 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, motor_rider@e... wrote:
> In defense of the BMW, The Motonic II used on the F650GS has been a > very stable and dependable FI system. The F650 will make more power > and get better mileage than a piped and jetted KLR, thus negating > some of the KLR's tanker qualities.
Will or does?
> The BMW does get a centerstand "made" with the bike, not just for > the bike.
Centerstands aren't really an issue for some of us.
> All BMW accessories are a simple "bolt-on" proposition as opposed > to the "I hope it fits" issue as with the KLR.
Depends on the manufacturer.
> > MR
Also, I don't want to mess with the extra weight and it's nice to have a bike that, when you're in BFE, you can fix with bubblegum, duct tape, and bailing wire. "Swede"

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by motor_rider@email.msn.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:51 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Stuart Heaslet" wrote:
> I respect your opinion, and can prove it because your advice > has caused me to spend lots of money on motorcycle stuff. > Though I'm mildly curious about your schizophrenic defense > of the BMW, I trust you are healthy and well. > > I can't tell if "stable and dependable" is based on real > world riding in third world countries. It makes no sense to > me to go somewhere and not be able to field repair a problem > because it requires shop-based diagnostics. I might enjoy > the BMW in a well-fed western country, but I wouldn't > necessarily rely on it in rural Latin America for the same > reasons I wouldn't prance about in a Laura Ashley outfit in > western Ecuador. > > Fireball
I am healthy and well, thank you. What has caused me to draw this conclusion on the F650 is that we have to remember that we are dealing in the real world. In the real world, the closest an F650 will venture to a Third World country is, let's say, Moab or at worst Palm Beach County, Florida. Even there, the repair of an unlikely failure of Motronic Fi system, could be handled. The truth is, is that while we like to dream that our bikes can handle the rigors of world wide travel, the majority of us will never come to realize that dream. MR

klr650 vs bmw f650

Post by motor_rider@email.msn.com » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:55 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "stevens@v... " wrote:
> > > very stable and dependable FI system. The F650 will make more
power
> > and get better mileage than a piped and jetted KLR, thus negating > > some of the KLR's tanker qualities. > > Will or does?
Would
> > > The BMW does get a centerstand "made" with the bike, not just for > > the bike. > > Centerstands aren't really an issue for some of us.
For those of us that fix flats in the desert boonies, a center stand is a great asset
> > > All BMW accessories are a simple "bolt-on" proposition as opposed > > to the "I hope it fits" issue as with the KLR. > > Depends on the manufacturer.
BMW accessories don't depend on anything.
> > Also, I don't want to mess with the extra weight and it's nice to > have a bike that, when you're in BFE, you can fix with bubblegum, > duct tape, and bailing wire.
Last I checked, the F650 was a motorccyle made out of metal, plastic and rubber just like a KLR. Duct tape and bailing wire should work just fine. MR