buying a 1st bike

DSN_KLR650
Ed Boyd

mariola's solo rtw journey-nklr- paypal

Post by Ed Boyd » Tue Nov 21, 2000 2:46 pm

Great idea Tim. My wife recommends using Paypal on her online consignment site (http://www.kindercloset.com), she loves it and so do her customers. Very convenient, no problems so far. I think this payment method will become a standard way to xfr funds in the near future. -Ed
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, tim.anderson@n... wrote: > Mariola, > Have you looked into the online payment service "Paypal". It's > convienient and people can make donations to your account over the > internet and it does not cost. One can even donate with their credit > card to your account, which could be your own credit card or even > checking account, just something to check out if you haven't came up > with anything yet...Timan > > --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Mariola Cichon" > wrote: > Some of you have also popped another biggie "where to direct the > support?" I do not have any designated account or anything like that. > We are working on it (thanks Toby and Kurt

Michael Williams

buying a 1st bike

Post by Michael Williams » Wed Nov 22, 2000 7:44 am

Brian, Not to add to all of the confusion with more recommendations about 650 vs 250, but have you considered taking the Motorcycle Safety course before you buy your bike? Here in the Athens Ohio area, a course is offered every month or so, and a bike is provided for you in some instances. In a local example, Ohio University sponsored 3 of the courses 2 years ago when I bought my 1st bike, and told me they would provide a bike for me (duel sport, I believe...) if I didn't have my own. In my opinion, this would be a good way for you to sit on a bike or two and make an educated decision. Unfortunately, I didn't go this route. I bought a new Honda Nighthawk 750. In doing it, I made two big mistakes: 1) The bike was physically too big (though still shorter than the KLR). When I dumped it over within a week in my driveway, I cried. No kidding. 2) It was a brand new (expensive, nice paint) bike, and worth only half as much as I paid for it after the first fall. Most significantly, in my eyes, it was the same as a bike 5 years old with 10,000 miles after the accident. About a year ago, I purchased a used KLR 650 with the intent of becoming a better rider who is more comfortable riding(read safe). This time, I took into account my 5'9" height and experience. Had lowering links not been available, I'd have bought the 250, because the weight of the bike is still a lot to maneuver in a tight situation up on your toes - others have said much the same here. At the same time, having started on a 750, I may have outgrown the 250 right away. But here is where I think buying a used first bike has it's benefits. I believe it was Kurt who mentioned that duel sports hold their value well. If you find either bike in good safe condition at a fair price (and plenty of owners here will help you do that!), you could trade or sell it later without loosing to much money on it, should you decide the bike isn't the one for you. And, when you drop the bike over (you will do that probably sooner than later), it won't be such a heart-breaking experience. In addition, the money saved really does allow you to make some nice modifications later. Almost everyone on the list does so to some degree. Good luck hunting! Michael Williams