nklr ice slamma - jamma

DSN_KLR650
yovern@juno.com

nklr: klr250 tires & springs

Post by yovern@juno.com » Wed Nov 15, 2000 8:29 pm

Ah timing is everything. While I was mounting the MT21s on my 250 today, the UPS guy delivered my LR fork springs. My question is do I have to install the 0.50" spacer? I'm 6'1", 180lbs if that makes any difference. Can't wait to try this stuff out in the Jersey Pines, slip slidin in all that sand!!! Thanks, Ant

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Wed Nov 15, 2000 8:38 pm

as far as the springs go, i've got progressives, not LR... (they're not the same thing, are they??) there are spacers already in the forks, and i had to cut 'em down a bit to make the springs fit. if you do too, make sure you cut 'em real straight. as far as the pineys, where are you? i used to live in toms river and waretown, and i love riding down there. where do you ride? _pete -----Original Message----- From: yovern@... [mailto:yovern@...] Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 9:30 PM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR: KLR250 tires & springs Ah timing is everything. While I was mounting the MT21s on my 250 today, the UPS guy delivered my LR fork springs. My question is do I have to install the 0.50" spacer? I'm 6'1", 180lbs if that makes any difference. Can't wait to try this stuff out in the Jersey Pines, slip slidin in all that sand!!! Thanks, Ant Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

yovern@juno.com

Post by yovern@juno.com » Thu Nov 16, 2000 9:21 pm

Well I got a chance to put in the progressive springs today. Piece of cake. Some observations: The stock springs were 16.5", with a 6.5" metal spacer. The PS springs were 22.5", and I installed a 0.5" PVC spacer. Front end does not seem to sag as much when the bike is sat on. No test ride yet. Will report ASAP. The job took less than an hour to complete. Hope this helps. Ride safe, Ant D16 83 R100rs
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, yovern@j... wrote: > Ah timing is everything. While I was mounting the MT21s on my 250 > today, the UPS guy delivered my LR fork springs. My question is do I > have to install the 0.50" spacer? I'm 6'1", 180lbs if that makes any > difference. Can't wait to try this stuff out in the Jersey Pines, > slip slidin in all that sand!!! Thanks, Ant

yovern@juno.com

nklr ice slamma - jamma

Post by yovern@juno.com » Thu Nov 16, 2000 9:38 pm

A few years back my brother & I made up a set of studded mountain bike tires. Those suckers gripped in ice & snow like no tomorrow!!!! Nothing could stop us!!!! However, on a motorcycle, unless you were riding 100% in snow & ice I don't think it would work. IMHO. Ride safe, Ant. D16 83 R100rs
>--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Sanders, Eric"
wrote:
> Dual sport warriors, > > Yesterday was my first encounter with glare ice. A creek crossing
had
> normally loose jagged rocks frozen into place, then a recently
melted /
> refrozen patch of creek water. I built up speed, then pulled the
clutch.
> After bucking over the rocks, I lost my straight coasting
trajectory. I
> discovered that glare ice offers insufficient traction to even stay > balanced. I was standing on the pegs for the rocks, and before I
could sit,
> the bike started to fall hard towards my left. I tried throttling
out.
> When I reached the snow again, the bike was sideways and both
wheels were
> sliding, with me still standing. The bars were at full lock left,
almost
> standing on the motor with my right foot. I stayed on the gas and
the bike
> started to stand itself back up, just as I reached about 180
degrees of
> spin-out. I grabbed the clutch and stopped, just off balance, then
it
> tipped over to the downhill side. Almost pulled it off. It all
felt pretty
> radical. Bent the shifter a little, but the Givi E21 and Rally-Pro
hand
> guards were unscathed. He he he, are you all sure we're even
allowed to
> have this much fun? All depends on the next government, I guess. > > Eric A13L frozen slab of "Beef" > ps- Can one reform a White Bros. shifter? > > pps- dual sport studded tires? street / ice? Everyone told me
snow tires
> on cars suck on pavement, but I've found them to be just fine. How
about
> bikes? Could I put half as many studs in, or some compromise, so I
could
> wear out a set this winter?