oiling nipples

DSN_KLR650
Him

complete rebuild; windshield to rubber

Post by Him » Tue Nov 14, 2000 7:31 am

Greetings all, I am a new person to join the group but have been searching/readin/lurkin around the group archives since I found my KLR in June. ('90 KLR650 35,000 miles mainly stock 'cept cobra pipes) Anyhow she ran like a beast all summer and I tacked on another 7k or so of trails and highway. Recently she has told me that shes is done for the winter and wants some TLC. (left work one day to a leaky tank ... cleaned that up and half way home the bolts came loose off the calipers and the whole thing is dangling by the cable and I have no front brakes ... hmmm) Anyhow again, I am going to have way too much time on my hands in the month of january and plan a complete tare down and rebuild of the whole deal. I am looking to see if any manuals exist for this daunting task or am I on my own? I have worked on rebuilding cars but not a bike and not without help. SO I am thinking I can handle most of the rebuild 'cept perhaps the carb and clutch (figure I'll just get a new carb anyhow for better performance) and the clutch will be a challenge (or perhaps not, I would never think of doing more than a fluid change on a car transmission) If a manual does not exist I was considering a web based log of my adventures of the rebuild (I have my digital camera and a million shots of the bike already so why not keep going) So if anyone could post or e-mail me with any possible manual info or perhaps give me the nudge to WEB it. I have the 2 manuals from Kaw so I don't need those and I am about to download all the parts list diagrams and #'s to help me track the parts I rip off. Thanks a million (man that was long winded) -S

Bogdan Swider

oiling nipples

Post by Bogdan Swider » Tue Nov 14, 2000 10:13 am

> I don't think I'd want to put any penetrating oil on spoke nipples. I'd > be > worried about distillate getting into the tire casing, and there may be an > > advantage to keeping the threads dry so the nipple/spoke combo will stay > put.
Hmmmm.......I use WD-40 to seat my tires. No trouble so far. Bogdan