nklr fireball is back and semi-conscious

DSN_KLR650
e. rhoads

misalignment brake/caliper ..need help

Post by e. rhoads » Sat Sep 23, 2000 6:34 pm

I could use some help with this, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I mounted both tires last time myself. Not too difficult. I mounted a new front yesterday but decided to have a local shop mount the rear to save time. (big DS ride tomorrow) Everything was fine when I removed the wheel. When I went to put it back I simply pushed it into place and attemped to reinstall the shaft. This was very very difficult so I used a soft hammer to knock it in while holding the wheel in alignment. I then found the wheel wouldn't turn. I couldn't remove the shaft and had to take the caliper off. (the wheel then rotated perfectly) I have service manuals and thanks to Steve the new microfiche. All parts are correctly installed. My workspace is clean and clear. Wheel berings and circlips all correctly in place. No apparent damage that I can see. However, whenever I try to install the caliper the stationary pad is hard against the disk. There's a big gap between the piston side pad and the disk. Nothing is wrong with the pads or caliper. (after replacing the rear pads recently everything was working fine) When I hold the caliper to the mounting bracket it appears the edge of the stationary pad is at the middle of the disk, even though the pad is against its stop. This doesn't make sense to me. I didn't do anything other than remove the wheel and now it won't go back. I sure like to hear if anyone has an idea...I'd work on this till all hours if I have to but I think I may be out of luck. thanks, eric

heaslet@ix.netcom.com

nklr fireball is back and semi-conscious

Post by heaslet@ix.netcom.com » Sat Sep 23, 2000 6:59 pm

Dear Sweet Things, I'm back from Utah, Alaska and other places, and am ready to refute all rumors. A. Kurt ripped the KLR out of my hands in Utah on my way back from Canada. He lit some desert incense, mumbled some sort of Buddhist prayer, handed me a rag, and made me wash it with him. A blindingly beautiful job, but all manly-looking dirt from the hinterlands was washed off too. I left Bountiful slick as a whistle looking like I'd never been anywhere and pranced down to Fred's in Moab for a fork rebuild and some tires before departing for Florida. B. Fred NEVER asked me to ride the White Rim when I was there in late August. But he's right that I wouldn't have gone if he did. My butt hurt. C. I'm ready to leave again - will post a story sometime in the next week or so. Stuart aka "Fireball" 1998 KLR

Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News)

misalignment brake/caliper ..need help

Post by Kurt Simpson (Editor Dual Sport News) » Sat Sep 23, 2000 7:07 pm

> This doesn't make sense to me. I didn't do anything other than remove the > wheel and now it won't go back. I sure like to hear if anyone has an > idea...I'd work on this till all hours if I have to but I think I may be out > of luck. > > thanks, > eric
it is remarkably difficult sometimes to be of any help given just verbal descriptions and the way we all describe things. Any chance you have a digitial camera? Lets look at it a different way. Does the wheel go on smoothly now without having to tap the axle through? Where is the wheel binding? Did anything get bent or misaligned? Any spacers not where they should be? Anything fall on the floor? When you say the fixed pad is in the middle of the disc I'm not sure what you mean... We should be able to get this worked out...Fred? Let's give Eric a hand guys... Kurt