for sale: new stator

DSN_KLR650
Randy.Hoskins@worldnet.att.net

carb. mods. for high altitudes

Post by Randy.Hoskins@worldnet.att.net » Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:01 am

Group, I have been off the list for the past month doing some very extensive (and expensive) research on the performance of KLR650's at high altitudes. I think that I have the definitive word. Earlier this year, I asked the collective wisdom of the list for what kind of changes needed to made to operate a KLR at very high altitudes. While there were differences of opinion, most said that no changes were necessary. As part of a group of 5 KLR's, I rode from Xian China, to Tibet, and then to Kathmandu. We spent a week above 15,000 ft, rode across 5 passes above 17,000 ft and reached a maximum altitude of 17,300 ft. I made no changes to the KLR carb/air filter. Conclusion - it worked just fine. I had plenty of power for both roaring down the road and going offroad. If anyone is going to ride higher than 17,300 ft, they may need oxygen assist for themselves. At 15,000 ft, the engine was showing some energy loss. My top speed was limited to about 75 miles per hour. One of the group, had a K&N, high altitude (stage 2) jet kit installed and a modified (extra holes) airbox. He had a top speed at altitude of 85 mph. Realistically because of the roads, I could go just as fast as he could. A couple of us from the trip will put together a trip report for the list. First however, I need to recover from the trip. Randy

punkynsquirt@cs.com

Post by punkynsquirt@cs.com » Wed Sep 20, 2000 9:32 am

Randy: I appreciate the high altitude info. I was concerned about how the KLR would handle the Andes and their crappie fuel in South America. Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo

Steve Anderson

Post by Steve Anderson » Wed Sep 20, 2000 12:09 pm

Good info. I have had mine over 13,000'. While I didn't notice so much as a stutter, I got a lot more back fires, and performance was noticeably weaker. I removed the little door over the airbox as I was in relatively dust free conditions, and that helped quite a bit. Very easy temporary 'fix'. Steve Anderson
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Randy.Hoskins@w... wrote: > Group, I have been off the list for the past month doing some very > extensive (and expensive) research on the performance of KLR650's at > high altitudes. I think that I have the definitive word. > > Earlier this year, I asked the collective wisdom of the list for what > kind of changes needed to made to operate a KLR at very high altitudes. > While there were differences of opinion, most said that no changes were > necessary. As part of a group of 5 KLR's, I rode from Xian China, to > Tibet, and then to Kathmandu. We spent a week above 15,000 ft, rode > across 5 passes above 17,000 ft and reached a maximum altitude of 17,300 > ft. I made no changes to the KLR carb/air filter. > > Conclusion - it worked just fine. I had plenty of power for both > roaring down the road and going offroad. If anyone is going to ride > higher than 17,300 ft, they may need oxygen assist for themselves. > > At 15,000 ft, the engine was showing some energy loss. My top speed was > limited to about 75 miles per hour. One of the group, had a K&N, high > altitude (stage 2) jet kit installed and a modified (extra holes) > airbox. He had a top speed at altitude of 85 mph. Realistically > because of the roads, I could go just as fast as he could. > > A couple of us from the trip will put together a trip report for the > list. First however, I need to recover from the trip. > > Randy

Randy.Hoskins@worldnet.att.net

Post by Randy.Hoskins@worldnet.att.net » Thu Sep 21, 2000 12:23 am

Steve, I had no problems with backfires. One member of the group made an airbox door change like you did. His speed and mine seemed to be comparable, but things seemed to more limited by road quality (or lack thereof) than engine performance. I did notice that he seemed to be running leaner than I was (better gas mileage). Randy Steve Anderson wrote:
> > Good info. I have had mine over 13,000'. While I didn't notice so > much as a stutter, I got a lot more back fires, and performance was > noticeably weaker. I removed the little door over the airbox as I as > in relatively dust free conditions, and that helped quite a bit. > Very easy temporary 'fix'. > > Steve Anderson > > --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Randy.Hoskins@w... wrote: > > Group, I have been off the list for the past month doing some very > > extensive (and expensive) research on the performance of KLR650's at > > high altitudes. I think that I have the definitive word. > > > > Earlier this year, I asked the collective wisdom of the list for > what > > kind of changes needed to made to operate a KLR at very high > altitudes. > > While there were differences of opinion, most said that no changes > were > > necessary. As part of a group of 5 KLR's, I rode from Xian China, > to > > Tibet, and then to Kathmandu. We spent a week above 15,000 ft, rode > > across 5 passes above 17,000 ft and reached a maximum altitude of > 17,300 > > ft. I made no changes to the KLR carb/air filter. > > > > Conclusion - it worked just fine. I had plenty of power for both > > roaring down the road and going offroad. If anyone is going to ride > > higher than 17,300 ft, they may need oxygen assist for themselves. > > > > At 15,000 ft, the engine was showing some energy loss. My top > speed was > > limited to about 75 miles per hour. One of the group, had a K&N, > high > > altitude (stage 2) jet kit installed and a modified (extra holes) > > airbox. He had a top speed at altitude of 85 mph. Realistically > > because of the roads, I could go just as fast as he could. > > > > A couple of us from the trip will put together a trip report for the > > list. First however, I need to recover from the trip. > > > > Randy

Falke Bruinsma

for sale: new stator

Post by Falke Bruinsma » Thu Sep 21, 2000 12:24 am

I have for sale a brand new stator. I purchased it during a roadtrip this summer, but never needed it. Prior to installing the stator we found that some wires simply were cut and my original stator was fine. Email me a reasonable offer, otherwise I'll return it to the place of purchase and pay the 10% restocking fee. -Falke (fb@...)