[dsn_klr650] aerostich earning my business (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
e. rhoads

engineering type question/ nklr

Post by e. rhoads » Thu Sep 07, 2000 1:51 pm

> > Why do all/most dirt/dp bikes have larger OD front wheels than the > rear. I know there has to be a good reason, but it escapes me. >
=== (probably among other things) larger diameters roll over depressions easier... and curbs, logs, small animals, etc.

Gary Ott

Post by Gary Ott » Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:00 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Tom Myers wrote:
> >> Why do all/most dirt/dp bikes have larger OD front wheels than
the rear. I know there has to be a good reason, but it escapes me. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> (probably among other things) larger diameters roll over
depressions easier... and curbs, logs, small animals, etc. ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Is it really larger? I think the tires are close to the same > diameter. An equally pertinent question might be "why are they the > same diameter"? > Tom
A quick check says that the front is about 2 1/2" larger in dia. than the rear. A fat tire on the front would make the steering too heavy.A 21" on the rear would greatly limit the suspension travel. Anyhoo, that's my take on it. TIFWYTIW Gary

e. rhoads

Post by e. rhoads » Fri Sep 08, 2000 12:04 am

> Ok........So why not a 17" on the front as well as the rear? Most > dp/dirt bikes have a 21" front and a 17" rear stock?? That would give > you additional suspension travel in the front...no? > > JD> > > > > > > >> Why do all/most dirt/dp bikes have larger OD front wheels than > > the rear. I know there has to be a good reason, but it escapes me.
=== one other thing is that the front wheel is "pushing" itself across the terrain while the back is "dragging" .......if you took the wheels off you could drag the back end along but try pushing the forks across the ground......hmmm, isn't there anybody from engineering around here to explain what I just said? Where's Jeff Walker? eric

e. rhoads

Post by e. rhoads » Fri Sep 08, 2000 12:21 am

> > > > Ok........So why not a 17" on the front as well as the rear? Most > > dp/dirt bikes have a 21" front and a 17" rear stock?? That would give > > you additional suspension travel in the front...no?> > > > JD> > > > > > > > >> Why do all/most dirt/dp bikes have larger OD front wheels than > > > the rear. I know there has to be a good reason, but it escapes me. > > === one other thing is that the front wheel is "pushing" itself across the > terrain while the back is "dragging" .......if you took the wheels off you > could drag the back end along but try pushing the forks across the > ground......hmmm, isn't there anybody from engineering around here to > explain what I just said? Where's Jeff Walker? > > eric > ======= list, sorry about this, I thought of something else....ever
notice how caster wheels work? they swivel so that the wheel, in effect, is "pulled" along. I've occasionally made dollys with casters to move stuff and larger caster wheels roll over irregular surfaces better than smaller ones (diameter factor) and also the rears get pulled along better than the fronts which want to stick at bumps. Small diameter caster wheels take more stress over hard surfaces and this sometimes has the effect of causing the wheels to get ripped off. The technical term for which is castigation. eric

Chris

[dsn_klr650] aerostich earning my business (nklr)

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 08, 2000 7:45 am

An aside to this, got one of the courier bags from them a couple months ago. It is outstanding, very well made, lined in PVC so it takes weather very well. The design of the straps and the pad are perfect, just seconds to always get it just so..very convenient.
On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:24:21PM +0000, Jim Jackson wrote: > I am so thankful for the advice from the collective on my Darien purchase. I > will positively never own anything but Aerostich riding gear! Everything > except their delivery time is absolutely first rate and that's forgiveable > since it's so well made! >