00 klr 650

DSN_KLR650
jayhumm@zdnetonebox.com

returning to cycling on a new klr650

Post by jayhumm@zdnetonebox.com » Wed Sep 06, 2000 1:59 pm

After much thought (and poking around on the web), I think I'd like to buy a new KLR. I am 40, rode dual-purpose and street bikes up until my mid-twenties, and haven't ridden since. (Except for a few, nerve-wracking outings on my Honda CT90. I'm 6'6" and 220 lbs -- picture that!) I now live in central Pennsylvania, surrounded by state game lands and fire roads. Time for another bike. But first, I have a few questions for the group. 1) Except for severe weather, I'd be riding it about 10 months out of the year. (Fortunately, I only work 2 miles from home). How is the KLR in the winter? Starts okay? Will my seat crack when frozen? Any cold-weather or moisture-related concerns I should be aware of? I'd be keeping it in a carport, covered with a tarp or cover. 2) The front brake is much maligned. I had a few close calls on my street bike involving stopping in a hurry. My front brake saved me from smashing into a stopped car (on the other side of a blind curve). I have to have a decent front brake. I saw somewhere that the KLR has a 153' stopping distance from 60 mph. My family station wagon stops faster than that! Can the KLR's front brake be fixed with a braided steel brake line and new pads? Or, must one buy the $365 MAP Engineering disk to get "normal" front braking performance. It doesn't have to stop like a superbike -- average for a motorcycle would be just fine. $365 Is a little much for me. 3) Finally, does anyone know what the dealer invoice is on an '01 KLR? I've never bought a new bike, nor do I know how willing dealers are to discount. Any bargaining tips would be most appreciated. Looking forward to riding again (on my new KLR?), Jay

e. rhoads

00 klr 650

Post by e. rhoads » Wed Sep 06, 2000 2:03 pm

Demo a bike for size, fit,
> feel. Read a review for high rpm performance. Can't tell that from demo of
a
> not yet broken in bike anyway.
==== I think that's right....with 10k miles on mine it's only now feels like engine is broken in.