[dsn_klr650] klr sighting

DSN_KLR650
Ye Wilde Ryder

[dsn_klr650] got some funny looks [nklr]

Post by Ye Wilde Ryder » Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:47 pm

>Had a fun ride though, and we sure got a lot of people staring with >their jaws wide open. I guess we did look like a real pair tooling >down the highway.
ok, let me get this straight -- *dad* has the DP bike, & *son* has the HD. whoa. maybe he got that slightly defective gene from his mum? ;-) unfortunately for my son, he takes after me. poor kid recently purchased a wadded 600 gixer racebike & restored it to street condition. that bike is faster than *stink* on a track. gears, ye wilde ryder -- wallace@... 99 zx-9r "blue bayou" 98 vtr-1000f "stormy" zwallace@... 86 cr-250 "dirt devil" 00 sv-650 "zipper" "& you were using your friends as a berm." -- RP 83 v65 magna "nasty" FoJ#002...AMA#456832...JHLO#002...COP#000...CCS#SW969...Support the RKBA

InWoods13@aol.com

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Wed Aug 02, 2000 7:47 pm

In a message dated 8/2/00 1:40:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jdsummer@... writes: > Had a real similar experience on the last "ride to work day." Our group consisted of the KLR, a new GSXR750, a Heritage, and a ZRX1100. Took about 15 minutes to get out of Dennys parking lot after lunch, answering questions from a bright eyed stranger, about the mity KLR. My pals didn't seem to have the same big grin that I couldn't shake off, pulling out of there. :) The KLR definitely inspires the adventurous spirit. Scott A14 "thunderdog"

tom stone

Post by tom stone » Mon Aug 07, 2000 5:20 pm

>From: InWoods13@... >To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com >Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Got Some Funny Looks [NKLR] >Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:47:05 EDT > >In a message dated 8/2/00 1:40:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >jdsummer@... writes: > > Had a real similar experience on the last "ride to work day." Our >group >consisted of the KLR, a new GSXR750, a Heritage, and a ZRX1100. Took about >15 >minutes to get out of Dennys parking lot after lunch, answering questions >from a bright eyed stranger, about the mity KLR. > My pals didn't seem to have the same big grin that I couldn't shake >off, >pulling out of there. :) The KLR definitely inspires the adventurous >spirit. > >Scott >A14 "thunderdog"
Sometimes people just don't understand how we can be so crazy about a bike that's overweight and underpowered. The performance angle of this sport is so over-reported that people have forgotten that there's anything else...except the Harley dudes. Just for the record, I'm in on this deal because they're low cost low maintainence (mine blew a fuse once) and buttery smooth on the backroads. Oh yeah, they're so quiet I never even look at my chain...when it starts getting dry, I can hear it! ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Jim Jackson

Post by Jim Jackson » Tue Aug 08, 2000 4:57 am

Agreed! I get good looks from cagers quite often mostly because of the look of the KLR. The sport bikes kind of look at me like I should be sitting in the back of the class with a funny hat. I have promised myself that when I finally decide I need THAT much more power I will put up for a lay-down-on-the-tank-butt-cheek-gripping super bike. I just haven't felt the need so far. I would have loved to go 180 mph 10 years ago or 0-100 in 2 seconds but these days I'm good cruising at 75 and taking the back road whenever possible. Jim Jackson II A13 - South Carolina
> >The performance angle of this sport is so over-reported that people have >forgotten that there's anything else...except the Harley dudes. >
________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Ye Wilde Ryder

Post by Ye Wilde Ryder » Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:49 pm

>Sometimes people just don't understand how we can be so crazy about a bike >that's overweight and underpowered.
try me. i've yet to purchase a DP bike, but i'm mightily interested in the venerable KLR. why should i be looking @ an "overweight and underpowered" motorcycle? gears, ye wilde ryder -- wallace@... 99 zx-9r "blue bayou" 98 vtr-1000f "stormy" zwallace@... 86 cr-250 "dirt devil" 00 sv-650 "zipper" "& you were using your friends as a berm." -- RP 83 v65 magna "nasty" FoJ#002...AMA#456832...JHLO#002...COP#000...CCS#SW969...Support the RKBA

Dennis Angus

Post by Dennis Angus » Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:56 pm

Kinda like sex. Try it once and you can't leave it alone! DAngus -----Original Message----- From: Ye Wilde Ryder [mailto:wallace@...] Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 5:49 PM To: KLR-650 List Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Got Some Funny Looks [NKLR] ...
>Sometimes people just don't understand how we can be so crazy about a bike >that's overweight and underpowered.
try me. i've yet to purchase a DP bike, but i'm mightily interested in the venerable KLR. why should i be looking @ an "overweight and underpowered" motorcycle?

Ye Wilde Ryder

Post by Ye Wilde Ryder » Tue Aug 08, 2000 6:57 pm

>Kinda like sex. Try it once and you can't leave it alone!
sex????? well, sheeeee-it, why dincha say so a long time ago???????? sign me up! gears, ye wilde ryder -- wallace@... 99 zx-9r "blue bayou" 98 vtr-1000f "stormy" zwallace@... 86 cr-250 "dirt devil" 00 sv-650 "zipper" "& you were using your friends as a berm." -- RP 83 v65 magna "nasty" FoJ#002...AMA#456832...JHLO#002...COP#000...CCS#SW969...Support the RKBA

tom stone

Post by tom stone » Tue Aug 08, 2000 9:56 pm

Hmmmm, where to start? I like mine because it can't be beat as a backroader. The wheelbase and suspension are just right, torquey motor means you seldom have to shift, they don't break-down, my rod & reel fit nicely on the factory luggage rack, it cruises easily at 65, goes on reserve 230 miles, vibration control is admirable for a 1-lunger, they're smooth over bad pavement and stable on rock roads...and they're CHEAP! I gave around $1450 for my '89 a few years ago, and it's been so reliable I'd be less confident of a new one. I know I already mentioned reliablity, but something else...all the components - like the indicator switches, ignition switches, speedo gears & so on are nicely built. I've had some bikes where those components were of such low quality that they were offensive to me as a consumer (and quality systems manager). I guess I should qualify "overweight and underpowered". My other bike is a 220lb, 300cc two stroke. From a Goldwing perspective, you might say the bike is a featherweight. From an XR650L or DR650S perspective you might say the bike is a little pudgy around the middle. It's relative. All dual sports are a compromise, but if you buy a really good off road oriented bike, it'll be limited by the tires. My opinion is that if you buy tires that will shed mud off road, they'll shed knobs on road. So what's the point in having a $7500 Hussaberg with bald tires? I'm thinking about a DR...and already anticipating hauling it as close in to my riding area as possible so I can keep tires on it.
>From: "Ye Wilde Ryder" >To: dsn_klr650@egroups.com (KLR-650 List) >Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Got Some Funny Looks [NKLR] >Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:49:26 -0700 (MST) > >... > >Sometimes people just don't understand how we can be so crazy about a >bike > >that's overweight and underpowered. > >try me. > >i've yet to purchase a DP bike, but i'm mightily interested in the >venerable KLR. why should i be looking @ an "overweight and >underpowered" motorcycle? > >gears, >ye wilde ryder >-- >wallace@... 99 zx-9r "blue bayou" 98 vtr-1000f "stormy" >zwallace@... 86 cr-250 "dirt devil" 00 sv-650 "zipper" >"& you were using your friends as a berm." -- RP 83 v65 magna "nasty" >FoJ#002...AMA#456832...JHLO#002...COP#000...CCS#SW969...Support the RKBA
________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Richard Ohnstad

Post by Richard Ohnstad » Tue Aug 08, 2000 10:32 pm

I agree with "overweight", and the weight certainly sits high, but I don't know about "underpowered". Between the bike, myself and camping gear for a week, I'm talking 700+ lbs; and I've been able to take it up some tight, steep sections without any problems. The overwhelming reason I bought it in the first place was the size of the gas tank I also wanted something I could ride, a long distance if necessary, rather than trailer to some good off-road riding. The KLR does it all at a real reasonable cost of ownership. If I was going out to buy a DP bike today, I would give serious thought to the street version of the DZ400, mainly because of the lower weight. But its gas tank would still make me consider the KLR. Richard in Tucson 94 KLR650 86 VFR750
> i've yet to purchase a DP bike, but i'm mightily interested in the > venerable KLR. why should i be looking @ an "overweight and > underpowered" motorcycle?

Ye Wilde Ryder

Post by Ye Wilde Ryder » Wed Aug 09, 2000 5:21 pm

>I agree with "overweight", and the weight certainly sits high, but I >don't know about "underpowered". Between the bike, myself and camping >gear for a week, I'm talking 700+ lbs; and I've been able to take it >up some tight, steep sections without any problems. The overwhelming >reason I bought it in the first place was the size of the gas tank I >also wanted something I could ride, a long distance if necessary, >rather than trailer to some good off-road riding. The KLR does it all >at a real reasonable cost of ownership.
richard, very good synopsis; these are the very reasons i'm considering KLRs for myself & my SO. right now, it's a real hassle to go dirtbiking because we have to pack up the bikes, haul them to the ryding area, then *finally* get to ryde. with the KLR, you just throw a leg over it & go.
>If I was going out to buy a DP bike today, I would give serious >thought to the street version of the DZ400, mainly because of the >lower weight. But its gas tank would still make me consider the KLR.
great minds think alike -- i'm also considering the drz400e. what puts me off about it is the fact that it's air-cooled... & we live in a desert. gears, ye wilde ryder -- wallace@... 99 zx-9r "blue bayou" 98 vtr-1000f "stormy" zwallace@... 86 cr-250 "dirt devil" 00 sv-650 "zipper" "& you were using your friends as a berm." -- RP 83 v65 magna "nasty" FoJ#002...AMA#456832...JHLO#002...COP#000...CCS#SW969...Support the RKBA