need advice on tire changing

DSN_KLR650
Weaver, Mark

[dsn_klr650] trail riding

Post by Weaver, Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2000 11:59 am

not to be sarcastic, but duh! i weighed my klr the other night with about 2/3 tank of gas. 390 lbs!!! (after i took off the side racks, but with hwy pegs, rally pro handguards and skidplate). this is quite a bit. by comparison, wet weight for a klx300 is reportedly in the 260-270 lb range. that's quite a few pounds. i do some singletracking on my bike, in fact i just did a bunch of it 2 days ago at cow mountain (about an hour north of santa rosa), and the bike is definitely an upper body workout on the trails. i sometimes steal my wife's xt225 for these expeditions, and it's a huge difference on the narrow trails, but it doesn't fit me as well and it's a pain in the ass to ride such a little bike up to the trails. until i can afford a real light dirt bike (which i'll modify for street registration), i'll just keep getting my upper body workout. note that i'm not considering selling the klr at all. i just want another bike to play on. nothing can replace my green pig for touring and commuting and playing with a little sport riding in the twisties thrown in for good measure. i definitely get some looks on the trail when i see real dirt bikes. "you brought a street bike in here?? rad!" -mark weaver
> -----Original Message----- > From: tsanders@... [mailto:tsanders@...] > Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 9:50 AM > To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Trail Riding > > > Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I > recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike > was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places > we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more > comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. > Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road > riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side > was the bike never went down, just tossed around. > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ------ Lonely? Get Firetalk! > Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world. > Free voice chat on hundreds of topics. > http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/6/_/911801/_/964716602/ > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ------|e>- > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

Jim Cunningham

Post by Jim Cunningham » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:00 pm

If you start comparing the bikes dirt riding ability with true dirt bikes you are going to be constantly disappointed. My experience is just as you describe, the bike is pretty heavy to be tossing around, but it usually holds its own in rough stuff. If by one lane you mean "single track, yes, I have had the KLR on single track, but again its heavy and if you get in tight situations where you need to flick the bike around a lot, it will seem rather "portly"! However, once your off the trail, if you have 50 or 100 miles on Freeways to get back home, your KLR will laugh at those hard ass dirt bikes. Throw some luggage, a passenger on and those dirt bikes will look positively inadequate. The KLR is truly a dual purpose bike and a dual purpose bike by its very nature is going to be less than perfect in at least one, and usually both, of its purposes as compared to single purpose bikes. -----Original Message----- From: tsanders@... [mailto:tsanders@...] Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:50 AM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Trail Riding Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side was the bike never went down, just tossed around. Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Dash Weeks

Post by Dash Weeks » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:18 pm

At 04:49 PM 7/27/2000 +0000, tsanders@... wrote:
>Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I >recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike >was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places >we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more >comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. >Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road >riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side >was the bike never went down, just tossed around.
Yup and lots of it. I like to go where the mountain bikes go, they usually give way immediately and the look on their faces is great. The bike is big and heavy, it will test your courage and confidence as well as give you an adrenaline filled workout. I'm not an expert in the dirt, so I don't have much advice for you. You're gonna tip it over but the fun you have doing it will make it worth it. Confidence and courage are required to get the KLR into AND out of the hairy places... just keep practicing. laterZ Dash

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:26 pm

I give my A2 a serious thrashing periodically on rocky single track. Ya, it's heavy, but I think it's cool to have the cojones to haul a big bike into the woods and display that the KLR is a go-anywhere-do-anything kind of bike. People are always asking, "Why are you out here riding on THAT?" I answer, "Why does a dog lick his balls?" Mark B2 A2 At 11:00 AM -0600 7/27/2000, Jim Cunningham wrote:
>If you start comparing the bikes dirt riding ability with true dirt bikes >you are going to be constantly disappointed. My experience is just as you >describe, the bike is pretty heavy to be tossing around, but it usually >holds its own in rough stuff. If by one lane you mean "single track, yes, I >have had the KLR on single track, but again its heavy and if you get in >tight situations where you need to flick the bike around a lot, it will seem >rather "portly"! However, once your off the trail, if you have 50 or 100 >miles on Freeways to get back home, your KLR will laugh at those hard ass >dirt bikes. Throw some luggage, a passenger on and those dirt bikes will >look positively inadequate. The KLR is truly a dual purpose bike and a dual >purpose bike by its very nature is going to be less than perfect in at least >one, and usually both, of its purposes as compared to single purpose bikes. > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: tsanders@... [mailto:tsanders@...] >Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:50 AM >To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Trail Riding > > >Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I >recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike >was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places >we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more >comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. >Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road >riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side >was the bike never went down, just tossed around. > > > > > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Jim Cunningham

Post by Jim Cunningham » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:28 pm

Good answer! -----Original Message----- From: Mark [mailto:mjv2@...] Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 6:30 AM To: Jim Cunningham; 'tsanders@...'; DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] Trail Riding I give my A2 a serious thrashing periodically on rocky single track. Ya, it's heavy, but I think it's cool to have the cojones to haul a big bike into the woods and display that the KLR is a go-anywhere-do-anything kind of bike. People are always asking, "Why are you out here riding on THAT?" I answer, "Why does a dog lick his balls?" Mark B2 A2 At 11:00 AM -0600 7/27/2000, Jim Cunningham wrote:
>If you start comparing the bikes dirt riding ability with true dirt bikes >you are going to be constantly disappointed. My experience is just as you >describe, the bike is pretty heavy to be tossing around, but it usually >holds its own in rough stuff. If by one lane you mean "single track, yes,
I
>have had the KLR on single track, but again its heavy and if you get in >tight situations where you need to flick the bike around a lot, it will
seem
>rather "portly"! However, once your off the trail, if you have 50 or 100 >miles on Freeways to get back home, your KLR will laugh at those hard ass >dirt bikes. Throw some luggage, a passenger on and those dirt bikes will >look positively inadequate. The KLR is truly a dual purpose bike and a dual >purpose bike by its very nature is going to be less than perfect in at
least
>one, and usually both, of its purposes as compared to single purpose bikes. > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: tsanders@... [mailto:tsanders@...] >Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 10:50 AM >To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Trail Riding > > >Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I >recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike >was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places >we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more >comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. >Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road >riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side >was the bike never went down, just tossed around. > > > > > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

LawsonCL@aol.com

Post by LawsonCL@aol.com » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:49 pm

I've found I can muscle my KLR650 over many single-track trails here in Colorado. However, I used to ride the Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit and, out of that cumulative experience, I have an finely developed sense of self-preservation that tells me "No freakin' way are you coming out of this alive" when I'm at the edge of something truly technical. While a moderate pace and careful wheel placement will take the KLR650 over some surprisingly difficult terrain, it's not a dirt bike. My KLX300R is. And that's the tool of choice for the tough stuff. Chris Lawson tsanders@... writes:
> Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I > recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike > was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places > we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more > comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. > Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road > riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side > was the bike never went down, just tossed around.

Weaver, Mark

Post by Weaver, Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:53 pm

> Yup and lots of it. I like to go where the mountain bikes > go, they usually > give way immediately and the look on their faces is great.
you must be a better rider than me. i use my mountain bike to scout out unfamiliar trails. if it's a pretty easy ride on the bicycle, i don't mind taking my klr there. note that this doesn't apply to loose rocks and stuff where motorcycles easily outperform bicycles, but more to steep and rutted and twisty stuff where a bicycle can be carried if needed and a motorcycle can not. note also that i've raced mountain bikes for 10 years, and done thousands of miles in the deep backcountry and in very technical terrain, so what "easy" is a very relative term. i find that around northern california, motorcycle singletracks that are marked "easy" are generally fun and slightly challenging for me on the klr. i don't mind riding these trails alone even if they are unfamiliar. trails marked "intermediate" are sometimes quite challenging and fun on the klr, but i prefer to either scout them out on my bicycle or mrs sparkymarky's xt225 first, or else bring a strong friend for extra confidence. trails marked "advanced" i generally wouldn't consider taking the klr on, tho i might try it on a littler bike.
> Confidence and courage are > required to get the > KLR into AND out of the hairy places... just keep practicing. >
i also recommend a friend for getting out of hairy places. there are times i literally can't turn the bike around by myself, unlike the xt225, which i can simply lift up move to where i want it. -mark weaver

Jim Cunningham

Post by Jim Cunningham » Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:57 pm

No cat calls from me. If more of your riding is off road, I think the 250 is a wise choice. I came to the KLR650 from a KAW Concourse1000 and before that a Suzuki 1100E, so the power of the 650 is important to me. Actually I wish I could have a 250 also. -----Original Message----- From: vadams@... [mailto:vadams@...] Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:54 AM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Trail Riding I'll probably get some cat calls from the 650 riders, but that's exactly why I bought a KLR250. (I'm old, small, and weak, too!) Although its nowhere near a dirtbike, it is a lot easier to wrestle around on tight trails than its bigger brother, and since I don't tour anymore it is just fine for back country roads. It cruises comfortably at 60 MPH with the 6-speed tranny, and I even carry my wife on it occasionally. Vern
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, tsanders@m... wrote: > Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I > recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the bike > was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the places > we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more > comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding with. > Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road > riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good side > was the bike never went down, just tossed around. Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Weaver, Mark

Post by Weaver, Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:01 pm

hear, hear. i woulda bought a klr250 for mrs sparkymarky if it had electric start. it's got more travel and stouter suspension than the the xt225, but i personally have never kickstarted a motorcycle in my life, so i couldn't very well saddle her with a kickstart only model. mw
> > No cat calls from me. If more of your riding is off road, I > think the 250 is > a wise choice. I came to the KLR650 from a KAW Concourse1000 > and before > that a Suzuki 1100E, so the power of the 650 is important to > me. Actually I > wish I could have a 250 also. > > > > > I'll probably get some cat calls from the 650 riders, but that's > exactly why I bought a KLR250. (I'm old, small, and weak, too!) > Although its nowhere near a dirtbike, it is a lot easier to wrestle > around on tight trails than its bigger brother, and since I don't > tour anymore it is just fine for back country roads. It cruises > comfortably at 60 MPH with the 6-speed tranny, and I even carry my > wife on it occasionally. > Vern > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, tsanders@m... wrote: > > Do any of you actually take your bikes on 1-lane type trails? I > > recently rode in Northern Georgia (near TWO) and found that the > bike > > was somewhat heavy and lacked ground clearance for some of the > places > > we were going. It performed admirably, but I'd have been more > > comfortable on a true "dirt" bike, like the guys I was riding > with. > > Other than that, the bike has served me well so far. Any off-road > > riding opinions from more experienced riders welcome. The good > side > > was the bike never went down, just tossed around. > > > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ------ 0% Introductory APR! > Instant Approval! > Aria Visa - get yours today. > http://click.egroups.com/1/7102/6/_/911801/_/964720618/ > -------------------------------------------------------------- > ------|e>- > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > >

Barry Mcpherron

Post by Barry Mcpherron » Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:09 pm

I too admit to riding single track on the KLR and scaring the crap out of myself! I am a fairly inexperienced dirt rider, I owned a beater CR250 for 6 months before getting the KLR. It was quite a shock to take the KLR off road for the first time after the CR! Since I ride nearly all off road and usually haul the bikes in a truck, the KLR was kind of out of it's element. That's why I bought an XR250 and am putting a street kit on it. That way when I ride to work occasionally I still have something to ride (I know it's going to pale in comparison to the KLR on the road). I also agree that it's feels great when you take the KLR places that are usually frequented only by 100% dirt bikes. And I will NEVER be able to ride cross country on the XR! Guess it just depends on what your riding priorities are on whether or not the KLR is the bike for you. Barry '91 KLR650 (for sale) '01 XR250