[dsn_klr650] another tire question

DSN_KLR650
Alan L Henderson

computer back-up. nklr

Post by Alan L Henderson » Fri Jul 14, 2000 5:09 pm

At 04:12 PM 5/16/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>>>>
Hi, I saw your post on the KLR list about backing up to CD's. I've got a cdrw and have looked high and low for a program that will let me back-up to it. I haven't found anything that will span from one cd to the next, or give enough compression to fit my stuff "about 4.0 gigs" on one disc. How do you do it? It comes in handy for backing up certain files or whole directories, but if I crash I want to have everything! All those little driver and update type files can be tricky to find if I try to just back up the essentials. Thanks for any tips! Mike

unixycle

computer back-up. nklr

Post by unixycle » Sun Jul 16, 2000 8:14 am

While CDROM's are handy to use as storage media, they are NOT the best backup medium. I would recommend either a DVD RAM drive (expensive) or a 120mm DAT drive (I think they can hold up to 20gigs w/compression). The DAT drives are pretty reasonable and usually come bundled with backup software. Keep your CDRW for music and making backups of specific software packages, but back up your system to tape.
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, Mark wrote: > At 5:09 PM -0500 7/14/2000, Alan L Henderson wrote: > >At 04:12 PM 5/16/2000 -0400, you wrote: > >>>>> > >Hi, > > I saw your post on the KLR list about backing up to CD's. I've got a cdrw > >and have looked high and low for a program that will let me back-up to it. > >I haven't found anything that will span from one cd to the next, or give > >enough compression to fit my stuff "about 4.0 gigs" on one disc. How do you > >do it? It comes in handy for backing up certain files or whole > >directories, but if I crash I want to have everything! All those little > >driver and update type files can be tricky to find if I try to just back up > >the essentials. > >Thanks for any tips! > > > >Mike > > > > >I am pretty much in the same boat. I use Microsoft backup and just do the > >spanning myself. It isn't pretty but gets the job done. I back up onto the > >disk just enough so I know it won't fill it then go on to the next and so > >on. You can then use the space left on each disk for incremental backup in > >between full backups. If you find a program that will do auto spanning > >please let me know. > > Thanks! Alan Henderson > > > > > >I just purchased Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe which comes with a CDRW CDR back > >up and recovery program called Take Two. I haven't had a chance to use it > >yet but it says it does spanning and will back up from a complete crash > >with the use of a floppy it creates and your current back up. I will let > >you know later what I think of the product. I don't know if it is available > >separately. You might check with Adaptec. > > Alan Henderson A13 Iowa > > Adaptec has a program called "Direct CD", I own it, but haven't > tried it out yet. I've been having great results with weekly > automated backups using "Retrospect". Retrospect keeps a record of > what has been backed up in the past and only writes new files or > files that have been modified. > Mark > B2 > A2

Rich Kickbush

[dsn_klr650] another tire question

Post by Rich Kickbush » Sun Jul 16, 2000 6:47 pm

I'm using Trail wings now. The front is my second TW301 - it used to be marketed as 'the ultimate dual purpose tire' because of its dual compound (soft on edges, hard in the middle. I would love to know if there are other tires that are like this, Bridgestone don't make a big deal of it like they used to...) Reasonably agressive tread, but seems fairly sticky on the road. I wouldn't use anything less chunky off road, I want that front tire to stay in place! I've got a TW42 rear that is almost done, was a good on road tire, but was slipping so much off road the other day it was annoying. I didn't really test it well enough when it had more tread. Does anybody know if the TW22 (I think?) is still available? Not according to Bridgestone's new website, anyway. This tire was great for touring / dirt. It had two super thick ribs that ran the full radius of the tire, in its centre; these took care of the superslab. The sides had a more chunky profile, hooked up suprisingly well in the dirt. It would probably corner crappily if you pushed it on-road, but if you're touring, loaded down, you're not doing that anyway. Lasted about 15K kms on my Central America jaunt. Rich vadams@... wrote:
> Have any of you had any experience with Bridgestone Trail Wing > tires? I'm having a set put on my KLR250 today (TW41 on front, TW42 > on rear). I had ordered them before I found this mailing list and > knew any better!! > Thanks, > Vern > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Get great brand name shoes with just the click of a mouse. Check out > the huge selection at Zappos.com, the Web's Most Popular Store! > http://click.egroups.com/1/6994/6/_/911801/_/963593126/ > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com