front sprocket - no heat

DSN_KLR650
Waveydave

why we celebrate the 4th of july! way nklr

Post by Waveydave » Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:59 pm

> ...all your silly English Knnnnnnnn-ighuts!!!" > > I couldn't resist, this is one of my favorite movies. > > -Adam
You forgot to "un-clog your nose in our general direction" I believe. Waveydave Brighton UK

thesquasher@hotmail.com

front sprocket - no heat

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Wed Jul 05, 2000 7:15 pm

I don't think you should use heat on the sproket, nut, or shaft. The sproket and shaft might be heat treated and making it hot could anneal or soften them. Also there might be a rubber oil seal behind the sproket that seals the trany oil from the real world. heating the shaft could melt the seal. I have used heat to loosen nut and bolts before and it works great. BUT, not on a shaft that might be hardened or one that has an oil seal on it. From: Rich Kickbush Date: Wed Jul 5, 2000 9:05am Subject: Re: Front sprocket Guys, Use HEAT when you've got a stuck nut like the sprocket nut. A little butune torch is perfect, you'll have it hot enough in about 20 seconds - 1 min. While its hot, spray your favourite lube (I swear by Optipro) on it and watch it disappear up into the threads. Why this works is for the engineers on the list, but my guess is that the different rates of expansion and cooling between the nut and the shaft 'crack' the bond that forms between the two (stopping now, way over my head...) Anyway, from memory, I use a 3/8 wrench after the heat treatment, it's still a sphincter-clencher, but very possible to remove. An impact driver may also help. Good luck! Rich