joey dunlop

DSN_KLR650
Mark

[dsn_klr650] getting it up for tire changing...

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 30, 2000 3:34 pm

At 4:10 PM -0400 6/30/2000, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> So here is what I am planning on >putting together for a flat kit: > >3 nine-and-half inch tire irons > -I keep hearing everyone say longer is better, so Fred will be >providing these, but do I need more than two? I am used to bicycles >where three definitely made the job easier.
Two 8" irons will do fine.
>1 bike pump > -I don't believe in CO2 carts. Can anyone recommend a pump that >they've had good luck with?
I have a Zefal high pressure bicycle pump as backup to my gutted 12V air compressor.
>1 set rim protectors > -do I really need these or are they just to keep the bike pretty? Is >there a chance of really screwing up my rim without them?
They only protect against scratches on the rim. If you're worried about a scratched rim, then a DS bike is not for you. I'd use strips of leather from an old shoe before wasting money on rim protectors.
>1 set of tubes, both front and rear > -can these be pre-slimed, or will that cause problems while they're >stored?
Pre-sliming is OK. You can use a front tube on the rear if you're in a pinch. If you really need to get out of the woods and have no tubes, then grass & leaves work well to get you to civilization.
>1 of some kind of lube for reinstalling tire. > -I have heard people using everything from soap to chain lube, is >there any reason I have to carry a special lube for the tires?
I carry a 1 ounce container of dish soap. I'll smear it on and add some water from my canteen. Coolant from your expansion bottle or piss will work in a pinch too. Mark B2 A2

steve secrest

Post by steve secrest » Fri Jun 30, 2000 4:58 pm

Mark wrote:
> >1 set of tubes, both front and rear > > -can these be pre-slimed, or will that cause problems while they're > >stored? > > Pre-sliming is OK. You can use a front tube on the rear if you're in > a pinch. If you really need to get out of the woods and have no > tubes, then grass & leaves work well to get you to civilization. >
Hey Mark, I ran into a guy on a KTM LC4 and was talking about new tires and what was needed to fix them in the woods. He told me a little trick he's used several times ... get this, he carries a bundle of large wire ties and if he has a flat, he simply wraps about a dozen around the tire and wheel and keeps on going. He said he's even ridden the bike home this way! I wonder if anyone has ever heard of this being done and would be willing to test it ... Steve in Cincinnati

Jeffrey L. Walker

Post by Jeffrey L. Walker » Fri Jun 30, 2000 5:37 pm

> Hey Mark, I ran into a guy on a KTM LC4 and was talking about new tires > and what was needed to fix them in the woods. He told me a little trick > he's used several times ... get this, he carries a bundle of large wire > ties and if he has a flat, he simply wraps about a dozen around the tire > and wheel and keeps on going. He said he's even ridden the bike home > this > way! I wonder if anyone has ever heard of this being done and would be > willing to test it ... >
Plausible in the dirt, wouldn't think of attempting it on the street though. It would have to be a very stiff sidewalled tire, and I sure wouldn't corner it. Jeff

Kurt Jensen

joey dunlop

Post by Kurt Jensen » Mon Jul 03, 2000 10:48 pm

I heard he was killed in Estonia, racing, in wet conditions. Lost traction, slid into a tree. Kurt Jensen '88 NX 650