[dsn_klr650] graffiti removal

DSN_KLR650
bmgecko

nklr laying it down

Post by bmgecko » Sat Jul 01, 2000 1:29 pm

I might be late on the subject, but it seems to me, most people talk of getting in an accident and say they "laid the bike down". I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that they didn't actually perform a lay-down slide, but rather they effed up, and instead of admitting to dropping the bike accidentally or due to not controlling it, make a claim to doing something they cannot do to escape embarrassment. Chris Astier
----- Original Message ----- From: " Skip Faulkner" To: "KLR List" DSN_klr650@egroups.com>; "Scott Blakney" Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 12:50 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Laying it down > > > Skip, > > Since you started this "Laying it Down" discussion, would you be so kind > as > > to describe the proper technique for doing it? Doesn't one also run the > > risk of being crushed between the bike and the object being avoided should > > you spin around with the bike before bike/rider separation? > > Thanks for bringing this topic up. > > ScottB

Gary Ottmar

nklr laying it down

Post by Gary Ottmar » Sat Jul 01, 2000 6:34 pm

Yes, Chris,I agree. And,I'm sorry if you received a personal Email on this. I'm new at posting. I hope this works OK. Gary 69 XLH 73 TR140 74 FXE 82 GS1100EZ A6
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "bmgecko" wrote: > I might be late on the subject, but it seems to me, most people talk of > getting in an accident and say they "laid the bike down". I'd bet a dollar > to a doughnut that they didn't actually perform a lay-down slide, but rather > they effed up, and instead of admitting to dropping the bike accidentally or > due to not controlling it, make a claim to doing something they cannot do to > escape embarrassment. > > Chris Astier

Nick Hughes

nklr laying it down

Post by Nick Hughes » Sun Jul 02, 2000 1:06 am

I might be late on the subject, but it seems to me, most people talk of getting in an accident and say they "laid the bike down". I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that they didn't actually perform a lay-down slide, but rather they effed up, and instead of admitting to dropping the bike accidentally or due to not controlling it, make a claim to doing something they cannot do to escape embarrassment. Chris Astier Chris, I'll see your doughnut (are you a cop by the way?), and raise you a bagel and a big Mac with cheese. Undoubtedly some people have lost control of the bike and claimed to have done it on purpose, but, rest assured, laying it down is a viable technique and there are riders, myself included, who have pulled it off successfully. I would much rather lay down and slide and go into the obstacle feet first than t-bone something and take my chances going over the top head first. What if I don't like what I see on the other side? It's a little too late at that point to say "damn, I wish I'd listened to those guys who'd said it could be done." It is, as I said in my first post, an option and - usually - the 3rd on my list of things to do. I also must reiterate, it has to be practiced. I am a former body guard and a graduate of high speed evasive cage driver training. As with the "laying down" of the bike, j-turns and road block running must be practiced ad nauseam until they become second nature. To think because you've seen it in a movie that it will be there when you need it is ridiculous. Big Nick

Robert Morgan

[dsn_klr650] graffiti removal

Post by Robert Morgan » Sun Jul 02, 2000 12:47 pm

The hair drier or heat gun works fine for all decals except the "splash decal" on the gas tank. It has clear coat over it. To remove that, the tank has to be stripped and then repainted, otherwise mine would be off of there. Morgan
----- Original Message ----- From: To: ; ; DSN_klr650@egroups.com>; Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 9:27 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Graffiti Removal > It the hair dryer the trick for getting all the decals off? > > David W. Moulder > TNBMWRIDER@... > Riders Association of the MidSouth (RAMS) Treasurer > RAMS # 127 > BMWMOA #49736 > 1994 R100GS "Bumblebee" > 1997 KLR 650 "Bluebird" >