spring preload detent?

DSN_KLR650
tryce@reid-crowther.com

2-up riding (nklr)

Post by tryce@reid-crowther.com » Mon Jun 26, 2000 5:09 pm

Hey all, I'm proud to announce that I FINALLY passed my road test (actually, it was only the second time :) ) with flying colours. Everything is easier the second time round, especially when you get a different examinar that actually knows his hand signals. Last time, the examinar convinced me that they were something other than what they were supposed to be. Water under the bridge now.... So I can now take the girlfriend on the back of my A9. She's been bugging me about it since I got it, trying to make me break the law and take her for a ride. If you want to meet a woman who loves the KLR, talk to her! It might come across to others that I got it just to make her happy! Anyway, this weekend will be my first experience with 2-up riding. We're going to take it easy for a while (just little trips around the neighborhood). Any suggestions on how to handle the bike with the extra weight (not that she adds much!)? Anything I should be looking out for, or expecting to feel? Thanks in advance! Tim Ryce A9 - 'Flashback to the 80s' Vancouver, BC

ephilride@aol.com

2-up riding (nklr)

Post by ephilride@aol.com » Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:26 pm

Tim wrote:
> Just to let you and the list know, I'm not in any way pressuring her into > riding with me. It was her idea from the get-go, and AFTER discussing it > with her parents (darnit, I'm such a little kid on this list!), she > thought it would be OK to try in a controlled environment. Like I said, > I've been turning her down for the last 4 months, and said that I wouldn't > do it until I felt ready. She isn't the type of lady to be pressured into > anything, and is not afraid to put her foot down. There's something about > a girl with a mind of her own that catches my attention. Hopefully, Knot, > your daughter will do the same and then you won't have to be the "ol' > stick in the mud"! > > Tim
Hey Tim, Everything you said is OK by me. I think I just got a little *over protective*. Dan Rosen and now McQuide, both experienced riders - KILLED in motorcycle accidents! I over reacted and I know you will take real good care of your gal. Just don't let the *male ego* get the best of you. At 46 years of age, I still have trouble sometimes and when I think back to earlier days of motorcycles and girls and glory........well, you get the picture. Ride safe my friend and be sure to share with the list about that first 2-up ride. -Knot

monahanwb@yahoo.com

spring preload detent?

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:46 pm

Amigos Listeros Kileros, I had my Green Go-Nad in the shop (living room) last night to service air filter, batt, etc. in prep for a trip up around N. California this long weekend coming. I went to torque up the spring preload on the rear and noticed it was kind of vague to determine exactly what level of preload I was at, given that there are only lines between the numbers 1 and 5. Is this how they are marked?? I searched the archives and could only find a couple of references to "detents" but was unable to find or feel any. Anyone had this same experience? It seemed like the 12mm screw was awfully hard to turn, too (understandable, since it's compressing a spring). I ended setting it to what seemed about halfway to full preload. Also, has anyone suffered electrical difficulties from not hooking the fuse holder to the battery lid? I could not get the little fu**er to slide in there. Manny Garcias, Desnuda 56 Benadryl 44 Madenform