new to klr, new to list

DSN_KLR650
x_phyz@hotmail.com

new to klr, new to list

Post by x_phyz@hotmail.com » Sun Jun 18, 2000 2:16 am

Hello all, I guess from how hard it was to find, I managed to buy one of the last A14s here in Eastern North Carolina. I just picked it up Friday last and am loving it. Got a pretty good deal, $4,800 out the door is what they said even though they had never stocked a KLR before and did not know where to find one, I jumped at it. The olive-green is actually quite an eye catcher if all the cars that passed me on the interstate with rubber-necking drivers is any indication. The only thing I am having trouble is this damn break-in period. Only had 10 miles on it when I drove it home. Almost have to start out in second gear to avoid 4k rpm limit. Last couple of bikes I owned were early 80s Honda VFR Interceptors but my first (and only until now) duel-sport bike was a 1974 Honda XL350. Really was a tough bike and sported DOHC, which for the time was quite nice. I have been researching, with the help of many of the websites you folks mention here, the KLR for almost a year now (that's a poor mans way of saying "had no money"). Anyway, I feel like a kid again with this bike and it is so far all that I have wanted (but I need more than 4K rpm!!!!). Couple of questions if the list can help? I noticed from reading the manual that the rear suspension is set up for what it calls an average man (150lbs). Guess that is average in Japan! Anyway, must one adjust both the preload and dampening or can I strike a happy compromise and only adjust one? If so, which would be better? I am 185lbs and the rear has felt a little soft especially offroad. I set it to 2 and 2 currently and it feels better but what should I be causes of? There is always something!! When I reach the 500 mile break-in, what type of motor oil is recommended. I am not sure of the merits of synthetic products for the KLR but have heard mention from some on the list that they use only synthetic or a mix (I did not think mixing was aloud unless it is some sort of X-factor NASA additive :-)). From the attitudes on this list it seems that many Motorcycle mechanics have become the rip-off con-artists that many auto mechanics currently hold title too. Is it true that when after 500 miles and the valve clearance should be checked that you cannot trust them to do this procedure for fear that they just write it off as OK without even looking??? WOW. If you made it this far thanks for reading my rambling and I look forward to eventually becoming very involved in many of the Rallies in the South East. Cheers, Chuck (Physiologist by trade, Duel-Sporter by natural talent, quick reflexes, good looks, and much begging and groveling to wife)