[dsn_klr650] nklr dirt miles?

DSN_KLR650
Mark Wilson

[dsn_klr650] speedometer broken. replace or bicycle computer?

Post by Mark Wilson » Mon Jun 12, 2000 1:09 pm

You can see pics of my Sigma Sport setup here - http://briefcase.yahoo.com/motormark64 I had to make the wire longer, and get a better magnet. It seems to be tuff enough. Mark
----- Original Message ----- From: Barry Mcpherron To: klrlist DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 1:18 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Speedometer Broken. Replace or Bicycle Computer? > Hello everyone, > > I went on a great ride on the 4WD forest roads near Sedona, Arizona > yesterday. The trails were very rocky and steep in sections, and the > rough treatment seems to have finished off my speedometer. I have been > having trouble with it since I bought the bike (the needle was broke off > at the base and the whole unit would flop around in the housing). It > looks like the unit jammed against the lens and something probably broke > when the cable tried to turn the mechanism. > Has anyone had the factory speedo repaired by a shop that does this > kind of work? Has anyone attempted to fix one on their own (even though > it's supposedly not possible)? If I replace the speedometer, I need > something that will hold up to really rough off road work (my bike is > 90% off road). Would I be better off getting another analog unit, or > will the bicycle computers hold up OK to off road abuse? I'm especially > concerned about the sending unit that mounts on the bicycle fork. Has > anyone crash tested this set-up on a regular basis? I fall down a lot! > > Thanks for the info, > > Barry > '91 KLR650

Conall O'Brien

Post by Conall O'Brien » Mon Jun 12, 2000 1:49 pm

>From: "Barry Mcpherron" >To: klrlist DSN_klr650@egroups.com> >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Speedometer Broken. Replace or Bicycle Computer? >Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:18:41 -0700 > >Hello everyone, > > I went on a great ride on the 4WD forest roads near Sedona, Arizona >yesterday. The trails were very rocky and steep in sections, and the >rough treatment seems to have finished off my speedometer. I have been >having trouble with it since I bought the bike (the needle was broke off >at the base and the whole unit would flop around in the housing). It >looks like the unit jammed against the lens and something probably broke >when the cable tried to turn the mechanism. > Has anyone had the factory speedo repaired by a shop that does this >kind of work? Has anyone attempted to fix one on their own (even though >it's supposedly not possible)? If I replace the speedometer, I need >something that will hold up to really rough off road work (my bike is >90% off road). Would I be better off getting another analog unit, or >will the bicycle computers hold up OK to off road abuse? I'm especially >concerned about the sending unit that mounts on the bicycle fork. Has >anyone crash tested this set-up on a regular basis? I fall down a lot! > >Thanks for the info, > >Barry >'91 KLR650
I think a bicycle speedo would be the easiest and most cost-effective solution. You should be able to modify it to make things as rugged as you would like. My $.02. Conall ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Weaver, Mark

Post by Weaver, Mark » Mon Jun 12, 2000 1:55 pm

bicyclists crash-test their computers on a regular basis. they're pretty hard to break if you pay attention when you install them. they're pretty easy to dislodge in a crash, so they don't work until you straighten out the sender. i'm guessing the sending unit would be zip-tied to the fork or something (i have bikes with zip-tie type senders, and bikes with special bike-fork clamp attachments). the worst that should happen is a zip tie breaks. easily fixed. the absolute worst possible thing that could happen is you break the whole thing to bits in some unforeseen fashion. then you just buy a new one for $20 mw
>From: "Barry Mcpherron" >To: klrlist DSN_klr650@egroups.com> >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Speedometer Broken. Replace or Bicycle Computer? >Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:18:41 -0700 > >Hello everyone, > > I went on a great ride on the 4WD forest roads near Sedona, Arizona >yesterday. The trails were very rocky and steep in sections, and the >rough treatment seems to have finished off my speedometer. I have been >having trouble with it since I bought the bike (the needle was broke off >at the base and the whole unit would flop around in the housing). It >looks like the unit jammed against the lens and something probably broke >when the cable tried to turn the mechanism. > Has anyone had the factory speedo repaired by a shop that does this >kind of work? Has anyone attempted to fix one on their own (even though >it's supposedly not possible)? If I replace the speedometer, I need >something that will hold up to really rough off road work (my bike is >90% off road). Would I be better off getting another analog unit, or >will the bicycle computers hold up OK to off road abuse? I'm especially >concerned about the sending unit that mounts on the bicycle fork. Has >anyone crash tested this set-up on a regular basis? I fall down a lot! > >Thanks for the info, > >Barry >'91 KLR650

Barry Mcpherron

[dsn_klr650] nklr dirt miles?

Post by Barry Mcpherron » Thu Jun 15, 2000 12:37 pm

Jeff Walker wrote: >
> survival skills are very sharp. To specifically answer your question, > your > first year of dirt riding is a huge learning curve, which tapers off > by the > third year, but it is always going up, there is always more to learn, > especially with each new bike. I'd say it would take around three > years for > most people to achieve the coveted "experienced" status. :) > > Jeff
I agree with Jeff on this one. I've been dirt riding for a little over a year now. Started out on a beater '85 CR 250, then got the KLR about 6 months ago. I go out every weekend with the kids to the desert for trail riding and general goofing off. In this time I have gone from being terrified of the bike slipping and sliding in the loose stuff, to enjoying a good rear wheel power slide and even jumping the KLR over small to medium size jumps. Now if I could just learn to recover from a front wheel wash out....... Called in sick yesterday and took my son and his new '95 YZ125 out for some riding. Had a great day until I took a left turn too fast. The back wheel started coming around, I overcorrected swung the bike to the left and then the front tire broke loose. I hit the ground hard before I knew what to do next. Mangled the brake lever (again) and bent up the rear brake lever also. Looks like I still have a lot to learn. Came in to work today, the Boss asks if I'm feeling better, then asks how I got that bad rasberry on my right arm and why I'm limping. I'm feeling much better, thanks ;-) I have put 600 miles on my KLR so far, 500 of those miles off road. Barry '91 KLR650

Barry Mcpherron

Post by Barry Mcpherron » Thu Jun 15, 2000 12:48 pm

Just an update on my speedometer problem: I disassembled the instrument cluster and found that the trip meter odometer had come loose and jammed up the gears. I was able to realign everthing and then epoxy the mounts for the trip odometer back into place. While I had the thing apart I replaced my broken speedometer needle by using a little epoxy and gluing a piece of metal hairpin over what was left of the original needle. I then painted the new needle red. After yesterdays ride, it looks like the odometer works great again, but the speedometer doesn't read any indicated speed until you get up to 30-35 mph, then the needle finally jumps up off the peg. I don't know if this is a result of damage from the previous crash or the weight of the new needle is throwing the thing off. Looks like I will need to install a cycle computer for a correct speed readout. Now to fix everyting I bent up on yesterdays ride :-) Barry '91 KLR650 "Barry Mcpherron (r40286)" wrote:
> > Hello everyone, > > I went on a great ride on the 4WD forest roads near Sedona, > Arizona > yesterday. The trails were very rocky and steep in sections, and the > rough treatment seems to have finished off my speedometer. I have been > having trouble with it since I bought the bike (the needle was broke > off > at the base and the whole unit would flop around in the housing). It > looks like the unit jammed against the lens and something probably > broke > when the cable tried to turn the mechanism.
>