(nklr) gps units and vibration

DSN_KLR650
G. Meyer

[dsn_klr650] hjc lt-12  vs. shoei rf800

Post by G. Meyer » Mon Jun 12, 2000 1:16 pm

To answer the question of the country of origin and probably price differnce is: Shoei's are made in Japan. Higher labor rates HJC's are made in China. Very low labor rates In "XL" the HJC's & Shoei's fit nearly the same. The HJC's CT/LT -12's may even be a better helmet in some respects, but I recently chose the Shoei RF800 and am very pleased with it. I choose to sport the extra $$$ and not to buy the other brand based solely on my moral views and beliefs. IMO. Glen Meyer, A-13 the "Burnout :-( Buster :)" Polictically Incorrect in Post Falls, ID

Elkhornss@cs.com

(nklr) gps units and vibration

Post by Elkhornss@cs.com » Mon Jun 12, 2000 3:22 pm

In a message dated 06/12/2000 11:28:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Lou writes: << After installing a handlebar mount for my GPS I am now concerned about the vibration causing the GPS unit to fail/break. I know some of you on the list use GPS's on your KLR has anybody run into any problems in this area? Thanks. Lou in Minnesota >> ==============================+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Lou, I started out with a Garmin III+ and mounted on my BMW RT. Worked wonderfully by battery or hard-wired. Then, I transferred it to my KLR and used the Touratech handlebar mount ($90 and worth it), but did not immediately power it in-line. Within 30 minutes of going off-road, it began to short out. Cause; vibration causing battery terminals to arc to the point where a continous contact could not be made. Had to toss the batteries and wired the unit directly to the bike (I still take the batteries out when on the KLR). I also had the vibration modification done by Cyco-Active Products, (Tom Myers, are you out there ?). So, get the Touratech mount, get the v-mod by Cyco-Active and hard-wire it and you are good to go. When I say hard-wire it, it easily pops in and out of the Touratech mount with the power mounted directly to the mount. Real slick setup. Your mileage should not vary. Mike Alcorn Palm Desert, CA Elkhornss@... KLR 650 A14 R11RT