fork tube placement in the clamps

DSN_KLR650
ken.trull@adtran.com

fork tube placement in the clamps

Post by ken.trull@adtran.com » Sun Jun 04, 2000 2:38 pm

I don't remember if this was a recent topic or if I just read it in the archives. But....I'm glad the topic was discussed. My KLR is fairly new. It's an A14 and I've had it about 3 months. It never occured to me that the tubes may not be positioned properly. I will never again just assume that a bike from a dealer is assembled properly. They extended about 4.5 inches above the top clamp. I feel stupid for not noticing such an enormous amout of leftover fork tube. I'll blame it on the euphoria effect of having a new toy. Boy did it ever make a difference when I moved them. I moved the top of the tube to be flush with the top of the clamp. The effect it had on front dive when breaking is unbelievable. Ground clearance also increased and the machine is much more stable at speed. Sure wish I would have been enlightened prior to our Talledega Forrest trip where my generous mass combined with the lowered front end got me high-centered about 6 times. This should be one of the first things to check for any new KLR owner. Thank ye' right pireful list! Ignorance sucks.....DSN_klr650@ rules!! Ken Trull BR-5-4-9-A14 Greenbough AL.